Quarterbacks in the Transfer Portal

NIL makes developing a promising young QB and keeping them long term damn near impossible. You can bet that Drake Lindsey coming next year will be shopping around NIL if he has a promising season or two.
Absolutely true, but until we can pay the dollars like the big boys, we have no choice but to continue to recruit and develop QB’s.

Interesting take on the QBing in the portal -

• One step further: The portal has been profitable — both in NIL and NFL — for many QBs over the last few years. Daniels, Penix and Nix all showed tremendous growth at their second stops. Add that to an absurd list of portal-to-NFL success stories (Joe Burrow, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Will Levis and, hell, even Gardner Minshew) and it’s no wonder college QBs flock to transfer.

Perhaps an ideal QB depth chart would be the transfer Brosmer, KRamer (convince him to come back for one more), Shikenjanski then Lindsey gets his redshirt
Largely agree, but if we’re talking “ideal”, I’d think a portal QB better than Kramer would be great. I understand his only action this year at North Carolina was limited and odd, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Because Chip Kelly’s offensive style and system was a mystery when he was being recruited? LOL.
Say what you will about Chip Kelly, offensive playcalling is not his problem. UCLA’s receivers get so wide open that it’s almost unbelievable to watch after watching Gopher football.

Largely agree, but if we’re talking “ideal”, I’d think a portal QB better than Kramer would be great. I understand his only action this year at North Carolina was limited and odd, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
He was clearly better than Athan in the Spring game so if he does get called on then there is some hope.

Say what you will about Chip Kelly, offensive playcalling is not his problem. UCLA’s receivers get so wide open that it’s almost unbelievable to watch after watching Gopher football.
How seldom cornblue receivers got open against Iowa was evident in the B1G title game. Mr. Harbaugh at Michigan should do something with his passing game morickety sap. (From “…mo-rickety-scosh…” (sp?). It meant “…pretty damn quick…”

I updated it with “sap” (soon as possibl

Sorry about that…my bad. Just getting old.

;0)

Last edited:

The Michigan passing game didn’t look that sharp against I iowa to me. And Michigan’s qb took some pretty nasty sacks too. How many yards was he sacked for that game…he looked a bit harassed sometimes in the second half. They had best clean that up in their next game.

One of the Gophers games was played against Iowa. I just had read so often on this board about Gopher receivers not getting wide open. It made me realize that 3 of the teams the Gopher passing attack faced this season were Michigan, tOSU and that tough Iowa defense,

How many tough defenses did Chip Kelley’s receivers face this season?

ps “mo-rickety-scosh(sp?)was a saying many of us GI’s used in the late 1960’s-early 1970’s that referred to: hurry it up. I just added “soon as possible” (sap) to the “mo-rickety” of that old line.

My bad. Sorry about that… my senior moments happen rather frequently these days.

;0)

Last edited:

The hardest thing to find in the portal is a guy willing to be your backup insurance QB.

The Michigan passing game didn’t look that sharp against I iowa to me. And Michigan’ qb took some pretty nasty sacks too. How many yards was he sacked for that game…he looked a bit harassed sometimes in the second half. They had best clean that up in their next game.
Oh ok. Thanks for the whatever language that was to English translation.

The hardest thing to find in the portal is a guy willing to be your backup insurance QB.
And that's the challenge, who is going to transfer to be a backup QB, or even POTENTIALLY be a backup??

I'm guessing you need at least 4-5 to practice. They have a lot of routes that need to be thrown. We still need to find 1 or 2 more QB's from somewhere. Or just add a couple walk-ons.

And that's the challenge, who is going to transfer to be a backup QB, or even POTENTIALLY be a backup??

I'm guessing you need at least 4-5 to practice. They have a lot of routes that need to be thrown. We still need to find 1 or 2 more QB's from somewhere. Or just add a couple walk-ons.
They can maybe find someone in the portal who sees a graduate transfer in the starting role and an opening after that. Someone who still has 3-4 years of eligibility.

Someone who entered the portal thinking they'd be flooded with offers, only to find out that no one came knocking on the door, that still needs a scholly to graduate. I think there will be quite a few QBs that fit that description. If your choice is come get a scholly to be a backup, or give up college and take a minimum wage job, you'd gladly jump on the scholly offer. At worst, you get a degree for free; and there's still a chance of injury to the starter where you'd get to jump in.

Someone who entered the portal thinking they'd be flooded with offers, only to find out that no one came knocking on the door, that still needs a scholly to graduate. I think there will be quite a few QBs that fit that description. If your choice is come get a scholly to be a backup, or give up college and take a minimum wage job, you'd gladly jump on the scholly offer. At worst, you get a degree for free; and there's still a chance of injury to the starter where you'd get to jump in.
Yeah, it shouldn’t be difficult to find some QBs. I mean you’re not going to add Cam Ward and Will Howard, but there’s plenty of other lower options that won’t scoff at anything but a guaranteed starting spot and a bag of cash.

Yeah, it shouldn’t be difficult to find some QBs. I mean you’re not going to add Cam Ward and Will Howard, but there’s plenty of other lower options that won’t scoff at anything but a guaranteed starting spot and a bag of cash.
Hey that kid from Fresno is offered. He’s got 2 years left, could be a solid 2 year back up option.

Wisconsin gets commitment from Miami transfer VanDyke

Yup, predicted he would sign there on the day he entered the portal. It's a good spot for him to reunite with KC and compete with about the only regular starting QB in the Big Ten who was rated lower than he was.

Yup, predicted he would sign there on the day he entered the portal. It's a good spot for him to reunite with KC and compete with about the only regular starting QB in the Big Ten who was rated lower than he was.
If he wants to stay at the power 5 level Rutgers is one of the few landing spots that makes sense given that his former OC is there. He is probably better served dropping down some in competition level but who knows.

Top Bottom