Quarterbacks in the Transfer Portal

In your opinion. Left that out.
Do you reply to every post on Gopherhole that it should be prefaced with “In my opinion”?

Guessing just the ones you don’t agree with. Sorry to call out your clumsiness.

Do you reply to every post on Gopherhole that it should be prefaced with “In my opinion”?

Guessing just the ones you don’t agree with. Sorry to call out your clumsiness.
Who said i didn't agree? You just stated an opinion as fact.

Who's clumsy?

tell us you are a hack coaching staff without telling us..... picking QBs up on the portal is the best way to tell me this program is doomed for the next few seasons.

Coaches' jobs are to develop players if they are failing at the most important position we should be concerned.
How do you figure? Tons of schools are having success with transfer QBs.

tell us you are a hack coaching staff without telling us..... picking QBs up on the portal is the best way to tell me this program is doomed for the next few seasons.

Coaches' jobs are to develop players if they are failing at the most important position we should be concerned.

2 of the 4 starting QBs in the CFP are transfers. PFF had an article earlier this year that stated over 60% of starting FBS QBs and about 50% of all FBS starters are transfers. Teams are falling behind if they're not working the portal because players are transferring whether coaches like it or not.

tOSU QB, Kyle McCord, in the TP as well

Attachments

• 4F87A488-F143-486C-B5E7-17527B9D2DBE.jpeg
    4F87A488-F143-486C-B5E7-17527B9D2DBE.jpeg
    970.3 KB · Views: 3

Just saw that. OSU sure does transfer out a lot of QBs. History would say he's SEC bound.

Bet all big time programs do. Every year they bring in 3-5 Five-Star High School Quarterbacks less than a handful of those 12-20 QBs will get off the bench during their career. At many of those schools they don't even get on the field in mop-up time. And unless they could get a release, they were stuck there.

Tom Osborne made his career that way. "You don't like it here? Tough."

Now at least the kid can take his chances on the transfer portal. Many won't make it, but at least they can take the shot.

Just like the the decades long system the schools at the top of the pyramid will stay the same either way.

Last edited:

You and nobody else on here knows whether there is a NIL stash we have access to for certain circumstances. We are not the little sisters of the poor I chuckle with how many lemmings just fall in line whenever PJ opens his mouth.
You may be right! it just seems these expensive, private, east coast institutions usually have a lot of old money behind them. Wake Forest has never been remotely close to being considered a top program but has had some steam in the recent past. The U is huge and may very well have lots many wealthy athletics donors, we just don't hear about them.

I’m watching the game now. It’s my alma mater. Can’t have him. Actually, my opinion is he’s more of a game manager. I’m not sure it translates that well to the Big Ten. Hate to admit it, but the jackrabbits quarterback would be a great catch, but I don’t think he’ll leave there. He’s already a legend and he could three peat.
Agree on the Bouman take. He can make big throws from time to time but seems to disappear, too. He's got a couple more years to develop and seems to have the tools but isn't a Big 10 QB. He realized right away he wasn't a Big 12 QB and left Iowa State.

Gronowski still has two years eligibilty left, which seems crazy. I know there's scuttlebutt in Brookings that he'll leave after this year but there is no outward indication that that's the case and he's applied to and been admitted to SDSU's graduate engineering program and despite NDSU thinking SDSU is comprised of entirely 6-7 yesr seniors, has a lot of talent potentially returning next year. There's no way the NH comes here if a guy like Gronowski shows up. Grono would easily be QB1. Northwestern is a suspected landing spot id he leaves (he's an Illinois kid and smart).

QB's are the most critiqued position on the field. It's the hardest to recruit and evaluate. It's no wonder that there is such movement.

Factors
1. Money. People with money at some of these schools are likely pushing change just like coaching changes.
2. Coaches need quick fixes to keep their jobs.
3. Kids are crumbling under the pressure and looking for change.
4. Social media is likely having a factor in kids looking for a new "safe place."
5. Coaches don't have competitions anymore, they look for plug and play or the 1 guy they have to give all reps to. If the guy isn't what you want, you just go poach from another program.

QBs also probably using the portal as leverage for more NIL money. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys end up staying where they are.
Which program will be the first to say no to a kid wanting to return?

Anyone still think that PJ Fleck should develop QBs in-house, "the right way"?

When even the blue bloods who mint Heisman candidate QBs (nobody does it better than OU and OSU) have their starters entering the Portal it starts to look like a waste of time to even recruit high school QBs

It's hard to argue that anything other than a revolving door of mercenaries is the way to go until schools start demanding multi-year binding contracts for all this NIL money

When even the blue bloods who mint Heisman candidate QBs (nobody does it better than OU and OSU) have their starters entering the Portal it starts to look like a waste of time to even recruit high school QBs

It's hard to argue that anything other than a revolving door of mercenaries is the way to go until schools start demanding multi-year binding contracts for all this NIL money

I just watched the HBO series Winning Time about the rise of the Lakers. They made a big deal out of Magic Johnson being the first NBA player to sign a big long term contact. This whole NIL things will start evening out with contracts, etc. If I was a major NIL donor, the last thing I'd want to do is spend a boatload on a promising athlete just to have them jump in the portal and potentially trash the program.

QBs also probably using the portal as leverage for more NIL money. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys end up staying where they are.
Also because ... there's just not that many spots available for these guys with the volume that are out there and the money...

Also because ... there's just not that many spots available for these guys with the volume that are out there and the money...
One of the reasons I think AK (especially his Dad) will not be pleased where he ends up. I doubt he stays in FBS, and may not end up in the FCS.

Ryan Day told him he’d have to compete instead of having his behind swaddled.
Not quite. It's more likely that Ryan Day told him Cam Ward is coming here to be the starter and Lincoln Kienholz is his backup. The more interesting player will be Devin Brown (#2 last year). I think he likely transfers out.

I think what you're seeing with some of these names is also programs trying to decide between the 5 star on the bench and the current QB. For Oklahoma, the rumor is that Jackson Arnold (5 star FR last year) essentially used his leverage and NIL opportunities to go to Oklahoma staff and say that he wants to start next year - either at OK or somewhere else - and OK had to make a decision on Gabriel.

I think Gabriel ends up at Oregon.

Until our NIL collective can pay what some of these other schools are paying, yes.

Kinda sounds like college football is dead to me :cool02:

Until our NIL collective can pay what some of these other schools are paying, yes.

NIL makes developing a promising young QB and keeping them long term damn near impossible. You can bet that Drake Lindsey coming next year will be shopping around NIL if he has a promising season or two.

Top Bottom