Quarterbacks in the Transfer Portal

60's Guy

Reaction score
Kansas State QB Will Howard enters the transfer portal. Proven starter. The backup is also jumping in the portal
making Jacob Knuth inline to be the #2. Freshman sensation will be the #1.
Story in The Athletic
Who else is out there?

Whole bunch of QBs are in the portal already as grad transfers. The transfer portal has been nuts the past few years but especially at the QB position where it is unreal the number of guys moving to different schools each season.

Whole bunch of QBs are in the portal already as grad transfers. The transfer portal has been nuts the past few years but especially at the QB position where it is unreal the number of guys moving to different schools each season.
Well, I absolutely feel like the Gophers should be active chasing somebody.

Already extended an offer the QB from New Hampshire so it would appear we are going to be players in the QB market this off season.
Max Brosmer .... looks like a Western Michigan lean according to the link above...#3 on the list.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 11.25.45 PM.png
Wanna see something scary...Brosmer as freshman and AK8 this year.
Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 11.25.21 PM.png

Last edited:

I read Utah QB also will be jumping into the black hole

Kansas State QB Will Howard enters the transfer portal. Proven starter. The backup is also jumping in the portal
making Jacob Knuth inline to be the #2. Freshman sensation will be the #1.
Story in The Athletic
Who else is out there?
That Avery Johnson has some serious speed, and Chris Klieman is a heck of a coach. Gotta respect what K State has built. I kind of thought in '19 year, Gophers had a similar look. Hopefully they get it back.

Was Spencer Petra healthy for Iowa these past 5 games or so? If he was they still decided to play that dad bod (with a lot of beer drinking) instead of Petras?

Which shouldn't be happening. The new transfer rule just helps exaggerate all the problems with jumping programs now offered by NIL. The NCAA can go back to the wait-a-year rule and in that the courts would have no say. That would leave the grad transfers.

He took the year off due to having shoulder surgery after the 2022 season. He has one more year of eligibility remaining.
That may explain his wild inaccuracy. Dude couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.

lol at the NIL value column.....I mean we all know many of these players are going to get big paydays when they transfer but it is a joke that it gets called NIL money when it has nothing to do with what NIL was intended to be.
NIL has always been intended as schools paying players & recruits.

Was Spencer Petra healthy for Iowa these past 5 games or so? If he was they still decided to play that dad bod (with a lot of beer drinking) instead of Petras?
He announced a couple weeks ago he was entering the portal, so wasn’t an option to play.

Is there any reason not to take all of them?
I share your sentiment but we'd run out of footballs and then there is the sticky wicket of who all those quarterbacks would throw too. Somewhere that 85 guy thing becomes an issue but dang it'd be nice to have a couple really good QB's for the first time ever or at least since we all argued about Leidner and Mr Mankato.
But, if we had two....we will never know if the 2nd one can play.

Not commenting on anyone in this thread but THIS is fantasy football...
Yeah, I feel like a lot of the changes are extremely short-sighted. I am a die hard college football fan, but my interest isn't the same as it was before. I enjoyed the recruiting, signing day and then watching the players develop into something. Ten years ago, we'd all be talking about whether Athan would be the starting QB next year or if it would be Lindsay or Viotto.

The game has "evolved" to feel more like the NFL without the best aspects of the NFL (draft, salary cap, ability to add talent).

I just read on X that WSU QB has already received over TEN $1M NIL offers from schools trying to land him! 😱

What do you Gophers are offering to our new QB recruit? DDB? 🤣 and that’s why we won’t be getting any awesome QBs from the portal.

I just read on X that WSU QB has already received over TEN $1M NIL offers from schools trying to land him! 😱

What do you Gophers are offering to our new QB recruit? DDB? 🤣 and that’s why we won’t be getting any awesome QBs from the portal.
He's not even in the portal (yet).

Teams definitely taking advantage of the situation at Wazzu in regards to the Pac12.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the changes are extremely short-sighted. I am a die hard college football fan, but my interest isn't the same as it was before. I enjoyed the recruiting, signing day and then watching the players develop into something. Ten years ago, we'd all be talking about whether Athan would be the starting QB next year or if it would be Lindsay or Viotto.

The game has "evolved" to feel more like the NFL without the best aspects of the NFL (draft, salary cap, ability to add talent).
I would argue it's even gone beyond the NFL. You draft a guy and get to see him develop for 4-5 seasons before they potentially leave. The top players in the NFL rarely play for more than 2 or 3 different teams in 10+ years. In college now, a guy might play for 3 different programs in 4-5 years.

Well, I absolutely feel like the Gophers should be active chasing somebody.
Oh I'm sure Fleck will be chasing, but will he catch anyone good is the question. If he lets the OC and QB coaches go (he should IMHO), this will get real interesting real fast.

Last edited:

Top Bottom