Quarterbacks in the Transfer Portal

Sounds like Boise State as a landing spot.
The Raiola effect. Sims gone. Chubba gone. Haarberg still there. Does Nebby bring in a back-up QB or just go with Haarberg and their incoming Frosh QB? Haarberg started several games this year.

The Raiola effect. Sims gone. Chubba gone. Haarberg still there. Does Nebby bring in a back-up QB or just go with Haarberg and their incoming Frosh QB? Haarberg started several games this year.
I thought Haarberg fairly well in the bits and pieces I saw him. Not an accurate passer at this point, but he's a load to bring down when he runs. Should at least be a good back-up and possible change-of-pace guy.

Add Zeon Chriss (sp?) the Louisiana quarterback to the portal. I really liked him at Huntington earlier this year. Now that Fife has signed, will PJ let this ship sail?
Assuming we have a free scholarship for him, do you think he’d be willing to be Brosmer’s back-up and a placeholder until Lindsay takes over?

They also signed Daniel Kaelin, the top Elite 11 QB out of Omaha (Gophers also offered, along with many others). It wouldn't surprise me if Raiola is gone within a couple years and Kaelin takes over.

They also signed Daniel Kaelin, the top Elite 11 QB out of Omaha (Gophers also offered, along with many others). It wouldn't surprise me if Raiola is gone within a couple years and Kaelin takes over.
Raiola has 3 years, if Kaelin is as good as some think, he's not sticking around waiting 3 years...

The Husker Board denizens were worried Kaelin would de-commit with reins being handed to Raiola. But Nebraska held onto him. I could see Raiola gone in a year if Nebraska has a bad 2024 season.

Assuming we have a free scholarship for him, do you think he’d be willing to be Brosmer’s back-up and a placeholder until Lindsay takes over?
I’d offer Chriss, who knows if he’d sign or not. He might be better than Brosmer.

The Husker Board denizens were worried Kaelin would de-commit with reins being handed to Raiola. But Nebraska held onto him. I could see Raiola gone in a year if Nebraska has a bad 2024 season.
I agree. It wouldn't surprise me that Raiola will struggle, transfers, and Kaelin takes over after a year. His head seems to be screwed on much more so than the new savior.

With the current QB roster, that’s an affirmative. PJ no doubt gave certain assurances to get him here, too.
I would assume that it's Brosmer 2024, Fife, Lindsey or a transfer in 2025, Lindsey or a Transfer in 2026.

I know it is only one game (and a very meaningless bowl game at that), but wonder if McCord is having any second thoughts after seeing Syracuse lose to a 6-6 South Florida team 45-0 yesterday in the Boca Raton Bowl
At least McCord knows the starting job is his!! But, your thought occurred to many I suspect. The transfer portal is going to lead to some strange choices and destinations over time, esp. where NIL money becomes the principal motive.

Wish we could have gotten this guy Purdy, I liked him the few times I saw him play at Nebraska. Even with Brosmer here in the fold, you just don't know with injury's in football. Don't want to be starting a true freshmen if your starter goes down.

Plenty of time still, but we need to pick up another experienced QB that is willing to be a back-up at a Power 5 school.

Interesting to see Cam Ward from WSU pull his name out and transferring to Miami.

Interesting to see Cam Ward from WSU pull his name out and transferring to Miami.
Miami can boost his draft stock plus next year is a weaker draft class.

He’s probably getting paid more in Miami than he would be on a rookie mid round deal too, so it’s a win win

Miami can boost his draft stock plus next year is a weaker draft class.

He’s probably getting paid more in Miami than he would be on a rookie mid round deal too, so it’s a win win
Yeah, I think if he is able to just hold his draft stock steady, he will go earlier in the draft next year.

I am kind of surprised he didn't go to Ohio State.

True freshman QB, rated 90 out of HS, just entered portal from Arizona. Big frame. Looks to have a lot of physical upside. Don't think we would go after him (or that he might be interested in the Gophs), but his evaluation--see attached article--contains an interesting note: that he is able to alter the velocity on his throws which aids in "catchable" passes. Would have come in handy a few times in the 2023 season!

A lot of QBs in the transfer portal. A lot, most of the reasonably rated ones, have found new homes. Some recent highly-rated entries, from Washington and Alabama, will soon find new homes. One curious case is Will Rogers, who started for a couple of years at Mississippi State and then transfered to Washington at the end of November 2023 to presumably take over for Michael Penix in 2024. Now that Jed Fisch has taken over at Washington, Will Rogers is suddenly back in the portal, as are Wash QB's Austin Mack (0.96 out of HS) and Will Haskell.

Who is still out there as a possible back-up QB for the Gophers? There are a lot of options at the lower-end--guys rated middling to low out of HS who haven't played much. But there are a few interesting options, too.

Max Alaimo was a 4* recruit who went to (and graduated from) Purdue. He played in '20, '21 and '22 at Purdue; '20 was his COVID year, didn't count re eligibility. He played at Kent State in '23 and did fairly well. Eligible to play in '24 and '25. Academically a good fit. Probably wants to start somewhere, but who knows. Would make a good, experienced Brosmer back-up and a transition player in '25 depending on how Lindsay was coming along.

Clifton McDowell was a highly-rated HS recruit; big kid, 6'4, 220. He played for the Rajin Cajins in '19 and '20. Might have had academic (or personal) issues; played for Kilgore in '21 and then Central Arkansas in '22 (where he received his BA). Grad transferred to the Montana Grizzlies for '23 season. A dual threat, he rushed for 932 yards (before netting out sacks) and passed for 2026 yards, 58.4% completion rate, 13TDs/4Ints. Last year of eligibility, I believe. Might he be interested in a backup QB role that combined a Seth Green style Wildcat role?

Nebraska transfer Jeff Sims is out there, too. I'm sure he wants to start somewhere, but I wonder if he would consider a back-up role with a Seth Green style wildcat role?

There are a lot of other interesting QB situations out there.

Last edited:

True freshman QB, rated 90 out of HS, just entered portal from Arizona. Big frame. Looks to have a lot of physical upside. Don't think we would go after him (or that he might be interested in the Gophs), but his evaluation--see attached article--contains an interesting note: that he is able to alter the velocity on his throws which aids in "catchable" passes. Would have come in handy a few times in the 2023 season!
I don't know why a player like this wouldn't be interested in the Gophers (aside from questions about our commitment to the forward pass). I'm not sure if this specific player would be a RS freshman or a sophomore in 2024, but how many first- or second-year guys would expect to start for their new team right away? That seems unrealistic for most. At least here, the presumed 2024 starter only has one year left, and there would be no one else in the way. Yes, we have a HS freshman coming in, but every team does. This has to be one of the best opportunities for a young QB who has any confidence about beating out an even younger player.

Top Bottom