Pat Fitzgerald suspended for 2weeks.

"It's just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now."

Wow, the duckies and bunnys are strong with that one. Isn't football a little bit abrasive and barbaric to begin with?

Ya, I don't know what happened or if anything happened but this letter seems like more a few guys who know they are in trouble said we gotta respond before something more happens...we'll write a letter and sign it the entire team.
Some twitter comments about this letter:
“According to the release, Hickey’s investigation revealed that while current and former players “varied on their perspective” regarding the conduct, the whistleblower’s claims were “largely supported by evidence.” so the investigators got it wrong?

We didn't haze, but if we did haze it wasn't that bad. And if the hazing was that bad we didn't mean for it to be that bad so respect our privacy. And also our head football coach had no idea but if he did they couldn't 100% prove it. Also the ENTIRE team agrees so there.

Ya, I don't know what happened or if anything happened but this letter seems like more a few guys who know they are in trouble said we gotta respond before something more happens...we'll write a letter and sign it the entire team.
Some twitter comments about this letter:
“According to the release, Hickey’s investigation revealed that while current and former players “varied on their perspective” regarding the conduct, the whistleblower’s claims were “largely supported by evidence.” so the investigators got it wrong?

We didn't haze, but if we did haze it wasn't that bad. And if the hazing was that bad we didn't mean for it to be that bad so respect our privacy. And also our head football coach had no idea but if he did they couldn't 100% prove it. Also the ENTIRE team agrees so there.
You think they are lying.

Since we have disagreement over what actually happened somebody is lying.
The investigation concluded it happened. The players are disputing to what degree.
The players have the most to lose...so it seems likely, yes.

ESPN tonight. The plot thickens.

A current Northwestern player, who asked to remain anonymous, also told ESPN on Sunday that the former player, whose hazing allegations late in 2022 launched the investigation, informed him of a detailed plan with the sole objective to take down Fitzgerald. The current player on Sunday relayed a conversation he said he had early this year with the former player to Northwestern trustees and other influential university figures.

"He just kept emphasizing, 'Yeah, it'll be OK. I'm just trying to get Coach Fitz fired,'" the current player told ESPN. "I don't think he ever acknowledged what he's saying is not true. It was just like, 'I might embellish or exaggerate to get Coach Fitz fired.' He said his sole goal was to see Coach Fitz rot in jail.

"The truth is none of that stuff happened in our locker room."

ESPN tonight. The plot thickens.

A current Northwestern player, who asked to remain anonymous, also told ESPN on Sunday that the former player, whose hazing allegations late in 2022 launched the investigation, informed him of a detailed plan with the sole objective to take down Fitzgerald. The current player on Sunday relayed a conversation he said he had early this year with the former player to Northwestern trustees and other influential university figures.

"He just kept emphasizing, 'Yeah, it'll be OK. I'm just trying to get Coach Fitz fired,'" the current player told ESPN. "I don't think he ever acknowledged what he's saying is not true. It was just like, 'I might embellish or exaggerate to get Coach Fitz fired.' He said his sole goal was to see Coach Fitz rot in jail.

"The truth is none of that stuff happened in our locker room."

So then why would the report agree with the complainant that the things happened

It was "investigated' by a law firm and then by a student newspaper but no one testified under oath so it is still hear say.
If they want to fire the coach for cause Northwestern needs people to testify under oath.

This is so wrong Gopher4_Life could have posted it...

So then why would the report agree with the complainant that the things happened

The report said some of the things were corroborated by an unknown number of players. Opinions are going to vary how much Fitz should have known depending on length, frequency, and so on.

The main character in this story is now alleging Fitzgerald directly ordered the attacks by clapping during practices with a “menacing smile”. Either Fitz is truly twisted, or this guy might be a little off his rocker. I’m starting to get that sense, but I could be wrong.

Separately, I’m a little disappointed nobody has addressed the Grant Norton allegations of abuse by Nichol and Fleck. Compare, draw distinctions, so on.

Is that something in his contract? People get let go for cause in companies daily without being under oath. Usually means the company working with its employment lawyer, but it doesn't involve putting people under oath.
In this case, millions of dollars are at stake.
If the coach is fired for cause and he sues the university there will be depositions under oath.
The University better have their testimony evidence of wrongdoing made under oath before they fire the coach.

The report said some of the things were corroborated by an unknown number of players. Opinions are going to vary how much Fitz should have known depending on length, frequency, and so on.

The main character in this story is now alleging Fitzgerald directly ordered the attacks by clapping during practices with a “menacing smile”. Either Fitz is truly twisted, or this guy might be a little off his rocker. I’m starting to get that sense, but I could be wrong.

Separately, I’m a little disappointed nobody has addressed the Grant Norton allegations of abuse by Nichol and Fleck. Compare, draw distinctions, so on.
More was in response to the part he said at the end “that stuff didn’t happen”. The report would seem to differ unless he said something entirely different, which clearly the further info coming out saying it did happen doesn’t match this.

If anything in regards to the “getting Fitz fired” camp line, I’d imaging some of the exaggerating is in Fitz targeting people as maliciously as the player describes it. But it’s seeming more and more likely that running did happen and, if so, the players who have come out and said it didn’t have an awful lot to lose if these allegations prove accurate as it’s going to take a lot to not have names named at some point as the pressure mounts. Wonder if there’s anyCurrent nflers from NW feeling a little bit of heat now?

NU gets so little media here on a normal basis. No one talks about them. However EVERYONE loves Fitz despite few people showing up at their games. Today they are the only topic on radio(football hasn't started and both baseball teams suck). Fitz is getting hammered, Schill is losing all credibility. I wouldn't be surprised if both were fired or quit soon.

He is a good coach. Anyone who thinks he is a top 20 coach in the country is drinking the Kool aid
Umm, seems like you're the only one bringing this "top 20" stuff into the argument. No one else in this thread said that. Who are you arguing with?

Others, including me, pointed out his success and question whether anyone else, going forward, would be able to do better and stick around. The bolded is something that I brought up in post #20. Yes, another coach could get them some wins, but he's probably bolting if he does. A bad team, multiple other P5 schools recruiting around you, and high admission standards.

We're just trying to say that Fitz is as good as they can get. You're the one introducing, and then arguing against, this "top 20" stuff.

Umm, seems like you're the only one bringing this "top 20" stuff into the argument. No one else in this thread said that. Who are you arguing with?

Others, including me, pointed out his success and question whether anyone else, going forward, would be able to do better and stick around. The bolded is something that I brought up in post #20. Yes, another coach could get them some wins, but he's probably bolting if he does. A bad team, multiple other P5 schools recruiting around you, and high admission standards.

We're just trying to say that Fitz is as good as they can get. You're the one introducing, and then arguing against, this "top 20" stuff.
It's impossible to predict whether a coach would stay or not, but NW has deep pockets, both from the B1G and from the Ryan family. If they were willing to pay, it's not out of the question that another solid coach would take that job and stick around. It will however be nearly impossible to find a guy who bleeds purple the way Fitz does.

I am sure that Fitzpatrick's agent made sure that the coach's last contract had specific acts for which he could be fired" for cause" and not receive a buyout.
What we still have is speculation, rumors, denial, conspiracies, etc., and an investigation by one attorney the details of which have not been made public.
This is why investigations and testimonies without proof and testifying under oath are useless and do more harm than good.

You obviously haven’t read any coach rankings on this site or others the past few years

Fitz is literally not as good as they can get. I would argue he is the third best of their last 3 coaches.

You obviously haven’t read any coach rankings on this site or others the past few years

Well, since it says you joined in August of 2014, would you mind citing some of the ones I missed? As for other sites, you're correct. I haven't spent any time reading other websites that ranked Fitzgerald. You got me there!

By the way, if you're going to make statements that are based on posts/websites from years ago in the past, maybe mention that?

Fitz is literally not as good as they can get. I would argue he is the third best of their last 3 coaches.
Can they get those other two coaches? You're comparing Fitz to his predecessors, I'm not. I'm comparing him to who they could hire now, this day and age, 2023. The fact that they have had other good coaches in the past doesn't affect who they can hire now, does it?

It's impossible to predict whether a coach would stay or not, but NW has deep pockets, both from the B1G and from the Ryan family. If they were willing to pay, it's not out of the question that another solid coach would take that job and stick around. It will however be nearly impossible to find a guy who bleeds purple the way Fitz does.
Re: bolded - that's why we use the term "question", like I did. I said, "Others, including me...question whether anyone else..."

No one's saying another good, solid coach couldn't land there and stick around for a while, it's just not a safe bet by any means. Heck, even Mason had some quote about moving on when you reach a peak at a school early on.

I am sure that Fitzpatrick's agent made sure that the coach's last contract had specific acts for which he could be fired" for cause" and not receive a buyout.
What we still have is speculation, rumors, denial, conspiracies, etc., and an investigation by one attorney the details of which have not been made public.
This is why investigations and testimonies without proof and testifying under oath are useless and do more harm than good.
Who is Fitzpatrick? If you are going to talk out your ass about oaths, hearsay, and contracts, you could at least figure out who you are talking about.

Well, since it says you joined in August of 2014, would you mind citing some of the ones I missed? As for other sites, you're correct. I haven't spent any time reading other websites that ranked Fitzgerald. You got me there!

By the way, if you're going to make statements that are based on posts/websites from years ago in the past, maybe mention that?

Can they get those other two coaches? You're comparing Fitz to his predecessors, I'm not. I'm comparing him to who they could hire now, this day and age, 2023. The fact that they have had other good coaches in the past doesn't affect who they can hire now, does it?
The irony of you saying who are you debating and then posting this 😂

No they can’t get those other two coaches. One of them is dead

Too bad we don't play them at home this year. Could pipe in "Working at the Car Wash Blues" during pregrame warmups. :)

Top Bottom