Pat Fitzgerald suspended for 2weeks.

I suspect the Twitter mob will next turn their anger on this person. He names the accuser, defends Fitzgerald. Are you not entertained

I suspect the Twitter mob will next turn their anger on this person. He names the accuser, defends Fitzgerald. Are you not entertained

I'm willing to bet the "twitter mob" does not direct their anger at this relative no-name person.

I'm on the same side as you in terms of letting the investigation play out, but this letter really doesn't do much to exonerate Fitz. He doesn't really deny that the supposed hazing took place, he's more or less saying Fitz is being thrown under the bus here, which may or may not be true.

Except when you have aspirations of playing high level CFB or making the NFL, and/or wanting to fit in with a new group of people after leaving your home and moving halfway across the country, it's not that simple. It's easy to sit here and say that they should stand up for themselves, but when you feel your scholarship may be on the line, your mindset changes.
That's a great point! I'm sitting here thinking about it in a box, as a middle-aged man with a secure form of housing, food, etc. If you're 18 and living elsewhere and you think the other option might be giving up football....

Good post!

In case anyone was wondering what alt account Gophers_4Life posts under...this seems to fit the bill. Argue incessantly, but at all costs, never answer a direct question when called out if it might be unfavorable to you....
Dang. I was so sure that you're G_4life...

In case anyone was wondering what alt account Gophers_4Life posts under...this seems to fit the bill. Argue incessantly, but at all costs, never answer a direct question when called out if it might be unfavorable to you....

Tbh

You being unaware what is published and what people say is not my responsibility or my problem. Here is one of the many such things I was talking about.

I hope your life gets better. You seem pretty upset!

I think the most likely scenario is that Fitz resigns. The school could negotiate some or most of his buyout, and no one has to directly admit fault. The school gets to say they cut ties with Fitz and the investigation and media frenzy die down as a result.

This gets real messy if Fitz doesn’t resign, and the school, players, and coaches all start casting stones at each other through lawyers, and the PR stuff gets dragged out for much longer.

I’m sure that’s what the school hopes will happen at this point: a monetary settlement, a non-disclosure/non-disparagement legal gag, and the media jackals slink off to the next chase. Given what we know of Fitzgerald though, not sure he’s ready to smear his own legacy and walk away without a fight. Maybe if someone convinces him that’s whats best for the football program. We’ll see….

I'm willing to bet the "twitter mob" does not direct their anger at this relative no-name person.

I'm on the same side as you in terms of letting the investigation play out, but this letter really doesn't do much to exonerate Fitz. He doesn't really deny that the supposed hazing took place, he's more or less saying Fitz is being thrown under the bus here, which may or may not be true.
Yeah, what are the admins to do with some letter like that? Not even from a player. Full of "I think Fitz would do the right thing", etc.

Tbh

You being unaware what is published and what people say is not my responsibility or my problem. Here is one of the many such things I was talking about.

I agree (bolded). And you've had your share of posts that I've hit the like on and vice versa. The "misunderstanding" if we can call it that, was the "scope" maybe? When you were replying to us posters who said (before the details came out, of course) that they can't do better and you were saying people should stop calling him a top 20 coach, I legitimately thought you were talking about posters in this thread. When I couldn't find anyone saying that, I asked you about it.

Not trying to argue, as this response of yours was fair, but if I was referencing something from outside of Gopherhole, I'd mention it, just to avoid confusion. That's all this was. I was asking which poster said he's a top 20 coach, but you were referring to published internet articles that I hadn't seen. Just a misunderstanding.

:drink:

I agree (bolded). And you've had your share of posts that I've hit the like on and vice versa. The "misunderstanding" if we can call it that, was the "scope" maybe? When you were replying to us posters who said (before the details came out, of course) that they can't do better and you were saying people should stop calling him a top 20 coach, I legitimately thought you were talking about posters in this thread. When I couldn't find anyone saying that, I asked you about it.

Not trying to argue, as this response of yours was fair, but if I was referencing something from outside of Gopherhole, I'd mention it, just to avoid confusion. That's all this was. I was asking which poster said he's a top 20 coach, but you were referring to published internet articles that I hadn't seen. Just a misunderstanding.

:drink:
😂

I'm not calling for Fitz to be fired yet, I'm simply saying if the investigation finds that he should be fired, it will almost certainly be due to his own negligence and not some made up concept of "cancel culture".

I think we’re all waiting for the report, 1992.

Regarding the complainant, A NU fan posted these. Maybe a different Ramon Diaz, Jr. Make of it what you will.

PE - The longer this goes on I have to ask, what is exactly your stance on all this? It seems pretty clear by now that some form of hazing took place, as nobody has really even denied it. Are you questioning the extent that Fitz knew about and enabled it, or what?

Look the two big arguments in this thread can exist together.

1) There is agendas at play all over this situation.

2) Something happened that should not have.

The problem with these types of situations is they are probably prevalent at many schools and the schools look the other way as long as it stays in house. Maybe they have internal ways to deal with it, maybe they ignore it...who knows. The second it goes public though the people with agendas will always latch on. The best way to mitigate that is to not do what NU did because that was a nothing punishment and vague explanation. It stinks of either a cover up by one agenda or throwing him under the bus by the other. All nuance is lost and now every move just enflames this more. Now they look stupid no matter how this plays out and lots of jobs will be lost and students (especially athletes) are in pretty awful positions no matter which side they fall on.

Look I don't work for NU and I am not on a jury so I don't have to give him the benefit of the doubt. (And I don't for various reasons) From my chair I would say he should get worse than a meaningless 2 week suspension but I also don't have to deal with the politics and policy of the situation. All things being equal I wouldn't want my kid playing for him and if i was an Alum I would not support him. (if it was Fleck i would be posting all the same stuff) That isnt about canceling him (a term so overused it lost all true meaning anyways) its about my personal feelings. Its a choice, and one I would be free to make. Others can choose to feel otherwise and they are no more wrong or right than me.

Ultimately all of this could have been prevented if certain people paid more attention to what goes on. It seems like there is zero oversight so all we have are questions. With even some oversight we know the truth about what happened, who was involved and what was done to stop it.

YMMV

??? I thought you were alright for a second there, now you just seem like a jerk. Unless I'm interpreting the laugh wrong.

There is no other response to give you there other than to laugh given this is how you started our “conflict”

You come in, try to start a fight which I will not participate in then get ornery that I think you’re a clown 😂

I thought the Wildcats/Fitzgerald were a bit off their rocker in 2018 at the Bank with pre-game temps in the 10s and the whole team went through pre-game bare chested.

There is no other response to give you there other than to laugh given this is how you started our “conflict”

You come in, try to start a fight which I will not participate in then get ornery that I think you’re a clown 😂
You were condescending and rude in your first response to @GopherTheJugular. Not sure how you can claim they “started” it.

I will once again take this opportunity to point out that facing consequences for your actions (or lack of actions) is not being "cancelled".
Of course not and no one has ever argued that every situation where someone is facing consequences for their actions a form of being cancelled. Of course, you know this. You're doing that old tired charade of pretending to not know what people mean again. I'm as tired of the saying as the next person, but I don't pretend to not know what it means.

Whether or not this is an example of "cancel culture" or this is an example of someone properly facing the consequences of their actions, I have no idea. I do know that there is a difference and so do you. Please stop pretending otherwise.

Of course not and no one has ever argued that every situation where someone is facing consequences for their actions a form of being cancelled. Of course, you know this. You're doing that old tired charade of pretending to not know what people mean again. I'm as tired of the saying as the next person, but I don't pretend to not know what it means.

Whether or not this is an example of "cancel culture" or this is an example of someone properly facing the consequences of their actions, I have no idea. I do know that there is a difference and so do you. Please stop pretending otherwise.
I get your point but I guess the options are either just accept the misuse/overuse of the term or make annoying posts to point it out.

Having read, and at times spared and agreed, with Some Guy over the years, I'm absolutely certain he is not g4l/MPLSgopher.

PE - The longer this goes on I have to ask, what is exactly your stance on all this? It seems pretty clear by now that some form of hazing took place, as nobody has really even denied it. Are you questioning the extent that Fitz knew about and enabled it, or what?

Your second sentence is incorrect. But yes, what did he know. Did he order the code red. The complainant allegations seem a little off to me. Did you miss the postings about Stahl’s sources and draw any similarities.

It seems pretty obvious I’m questioning your assessment of what you think you know. If more information comes to light I’ll be the first to throw him under the bus. The evidence we’ve seen falls woefully short.

Fitz is supposed to know, but how, exactly. Spell it out for me. Staffer gossip, player complaints, surveillance footage, direct observation. What kind of occupations are you all in that you know what’s going on in every department room, outbuilding. Do you believe he fostered this, or directed it as alleged?

Looks like NU baseball team is now alleging a toxic environment.

A certain somebody that is involved in player unionization and runs an anti-Fleck substack might start making some calls to local media (no not me) soon. These things seem to come in waves.

You were condescending and rude in your first response to @GopherTheJugular. Not sure how you can claim they “started” it.
If he was offended by me saying he obviously hasn’t read any articles that ranked coaches and that Randy Walker was dead…I apologize to him.
I’m not sure that’s very condescending. It’s factual.

Your second sentence is incorrect. But yes, what did he know. Did he order the code red. The complainant allegations seem a little off to me. Did you miss the postings about Stahl’s sources and draw any similarities.

It seems pretty obvious I’m questioning your assessment of what you think you know. If more information comes to light I’ll be the first to throw him under the bus. The evidence we’ve seen falls woefully short.

Fitz is supposed to know, but how, exactly. Spell it out for me. Staffer gossip, player complaints, surveillance footage, direct observation. What kind of occupations are you all in that you know what’s going on in every department room, outbuilding. Do you believe he fostered this, or directed it as alleged?
Fitz makes almost $6 mil a year and has who knows how many staffers. He should know if there's repeated hazing going on. That's why he makes the big bucks. He should have systems in place to prevent, find out, and deal with repeated hazing.

We shall see if the allegations prove to be true and at what extent.

Top Bottom