Pat Fitzgerald suspended for 2weeks.

Sounds might have been a situation with just few occurrences of bad choices, not a common event and coaches didn’t know.

This seems like it could happen on any team / to any coach at this point.
Sounds a bit worse and more widespread than you assumed....

Reading the posts about this online and yikes… if they investigators knew all this and only gave Fitz 2 weeks, that is not a great look. If this story is true, there’s going to be a whole lot of outcry that he needs to be fired with how widespread the description of this is

Organizations hire people like Hickey to protect the interests of the school, not Fitzgerald or anyone else. The executive summary does not make sense:

While the investigation did not uncover evidence pointing to specific misconduct by any individual football player or coach, participation in or knowledge of the hazing activities was widespread across football players.

Is there evidence, or not? No individuals were named by the complainants? Were any athletes punished? Regarding the last sentence which is it: participation, or knowledge? How can there be “widespread” participation or knowledge without proof of allegations? More questions than answers. Why so circumspect.

Is this individual or group of complainants filing for civil damages?

They would be insane to let him go. The fact that the team is even competitive once in a while is impressive. Any other coach who comes in and even sniffs success is taking another offer....
I don’t buy this thinking. Fitz has done some great things, but his teams have now been horrible 3 of the past 4 years, and he’s a .500 coach overall roughly. They went to a rose bowl under Gary Barnett and had some good years under Randy Walker as well. Fitz has had a very good tenure, but the idea that he’s some irreplaceable miracle worker is extremely overblown.

Organizations hire people like Hickey to protect the interests of the school, not Fitzgerald or anyone else. The executive summary does not make sense:

While the investigation did not uncover evidence pointing to specific misconduct by any individual football player or coach, participation in or knowledge of the hazing activities was widespread across football players.

Is there evidence, or not? No individuals were named by the complainants? Were any athletes punished? Regarding the last sentence which is it: participation, or knowledge? How can there be “widespread” participation or knowledge without proof of allegations? More questions than answers. Why so circumspect.

Is this individual or group of complainants filing for civil damages?
Current and former players varied on their perspective of the conduct; however, the investigation team determined that the complainant’s claims were largely supported by the evidence gathered during the investigation, including separate and consistent first-person accounts from current and former players.

I mean if the reports are consistent with what the complainant is saying in the ESPN story, there is extensive grounds for sexual abuse charges. And if you didn't participate but could corroborate, you know who is partaking in the acts. Have no idea how there won't be a secondary investigation by someone not retained by NW based on how the details 0% jive with what is being described by the complainant

NW message boards are almost unanimous that Fitz should be fired now after details come out after previously being almost unanimous that this was a stupid suspension and a nothing burger kind of story until the person came forward to detail the allegations

Last edited:

I have no idea.. but I’ll wait for word from someone other than the ny post…
How about The Daily Northwestern?

If I was a betting man, I'd say Fitz isn't NW coach next year....maybe even won't last til the beginning of this season. Terrible football teams plus scandal doesn't bode well.

Hazing in any way, shape, or form is the stupidest thing ever. Horrendously, it's been seen in sports programs, military institutions, frats, sororities, etc. Hideous and stupid. Treat the members of your team/group/organization like humans.

I mean if the reports are consistent with what the complainant is saying in the ESPN story, there is extensive grounds for sexual abuse charges. And if you didn't participate but could corroborate, you know who is partaking in the acts. Have no idea how there won't be a secondary investigation by someone not retained by NW based on how the details 0% jive with what is being described by the complainant

NW message boards are almost unanimous that Fitz should be fired now after details come out after previously being almost unanimous that this was a stupid suspension and a nothing burger kind of story until the person came forward to detail the allegations

But there aren’t. That’s what I’m pointing out: the executive summary doesn’t make sense. They contradict their own statement on the same page. How does what you wrote jibe with what the report states:

“While the investigation did not uncover evidence pointing to specific misconduct by any individual football player or coach”

Spell it out for me. Sexual abuse happened? By who? No videos, photos, names, or even suspects named. No investigations or disciplinary proceedings for any athletes? Northwestern curiously did not release the full report. Why? What possible reasons could account for that, if the executive summary is correct?

Hazing in any way, shape, or form is the stupidest thing ever. Horrendously, it's been seen in sports programs, military institutions, frats, sororities, etc. Hideous and stupid. Treat the members of your team/group/organization like humans.

It is, but that doesn’t mean allegations = proof. We've been down this road before. Everyone should take a deep breath.

But there aren’t. That’s what I’m pointing out: the executive summary doesn’t make sense. They contradict their own statement on the same page. How does what you wrote jibe with what the report states:

“While the investigation did not uncover evidence pointing to specific misconduct by any individual football player or coach”

Spell it out for me. Sexual abuse happened? By who? No videos, photos, names, or even suspects named. No investigations or disciplinary proceedings for any athletes? Northwestern curiously did not release the full report. Why? What possible reasons could account for that, if the executive summary is correct?
Go read the reports from the complainant. That’s what I’m saying is if that is true and what they’re saying is consistent, there are people who are not saying things, which is why im saying I don’t see how they don’t have a second outside group investigate. The report from NW coupled with what’s been said don’t make sense, much like what you’re saying.

Edit: im not talking about what will hold up court, im just talking about what is being said. Not that someone will be convicted

How about The Daily Northwestern?

If I was a betting man, I'd say Fitz isn't NW coach next year....maybe even won't last til the beginning of this season. Terrible football teams plus scandal doesn't bode well.

Is there proof Fitzgerald fostered or promoted the allegations by this player. A freshman has knowledge of “years” of abuse? Does he mean hearsay?

Even A Few Good Men had some defendants. So, NU issues the executive summary, slaps Fitz on the wrist for allegedly not knowing what he should have known (arguable?), institutes team/school procedure changes to help reduce future opportunity for hazing. Player subsequently goes on scorched earth campaign implying he isn’t satisfied with the outcome, yet apparently wasn’t able to name a single perpetrator? No investigations or disciplinary hearings mentioned? What is the angle? I think I know but time will tell.

Go read the reports from the complainant. That’s what I’m saying is if that is true and what they’re saying is consistent, there are people who are not saying things, which is why im saying I don’t see how they don’t have a second outside group investigate. The report from NW coupled with what’s been said don’t make sense, much like what you’re saying.

Edit: im not talking about what will hold up court, im just talking about what is being said. Not that someone will be convicted

I’ve read it all, the car wash and runs and naked wheelbarrows. It’s wierd, yeah.

I stand by what I’ve written.

Schrodinger’s observer. Everyone participated, yet nobody participated. Maggie Hickey has some quantum physics to explain.

Is there proof Fitzgerald fostered or promoted the allegations by this player. A freshman has knowledge of “years” of abuse? Does he mean hearsay?

Even A Few Good Men had some defendants. So, NU issues the executive summary, slaps Fitz on the wrist for allegedly not knowing what he should have known (arguable?), institutes team/school procedure changes to help reduce future opportunity for hazing. Player subsequently goes on scorched earth campaign implying he isn’t satisfied with the outcome, yet apparently wasn’t able to name a single perpetrator? No investigations or disciplinary hearings mentioned? What is the angle? I think I know but time will tell.
My take is this. It's very likely Fitz knew this stuff is going on (and if he didn't, he needs better oversight of his team). In this day and age when there's a scandal of this nature and your teams also suck, you're probably fired. But if Fitz knew and didn't do anything, I don't see how the school keeps him.

Last edited:

My take is this. It's very likely Fitz knew this stuff is going on (and if he didn't, he needs better oversight of his team). In this day and age when there's a scandal of this nature and your teams also suck, you're probably fired. But if Fitz knew and didn't do anything, I don't see how the school keeps him.

Didn’t the report state there was no evidence Fitz or his staff knew, though? Much less proof he knew. Maybe he did. Do the NU coaches hang around in the showers after practice? I don’t know.

With cause termination a slam dunk wrongful termination? If they want to fire him for poor team performance that’s probably more defensible. Everyone loves a good public execution.

Couldn’t agree more. It doesn’t make sense and feels like an illness. Those who partake had to have experienced similar behaviors, can’t overcome peer pressure or are mentally ill. Protect the victims.

I don’t buy this thinking. Fitz has done some great things, but his teams have now been horrible 3 of the past 4 years, and he’s a .500 coach overall roughly. They went to a rose bowl under Gary Barnett and had some good years under Randy Walker as well. Fitz has had a very good tenure, but the idea that he’s some irreplaceable miracle worker is extremely overblown.
He is maybe the most overrated coach in the history of the conference. Of the last 3 northwestern coaches, he is the only one without a conference title.

Like everyone on this board, I do not have inside information on what happened. However, having worked in a university setting for about 30 years I have seen people get fired for various reasons. My observation is that toward the top of that list of things to get one fired is to be involved in something that embarrasses the university. This embarrasses the university. If it stays in the news for a few more days and it is found that Fitz knew anything about this, I predict he's gone.

And here we go

Following a report from The Daily Northwestern on Saturday afternoon surrounding Northwestern football’s hazing allegations — with two former players providing graphic details about supposed unwanted sexual activities and other forms of physical and emotional harassment — the NU team has responded to claims.

In a statement provided to ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg, the team emphasized its lack of tolerance for hazing, calling the reported incidents “exaggerated and twisted,” as well as “fabrications.” Additionally, the team expressed faith in the university’s third-party investigation, led by Maggie Hickey of ArentFox Schiff, which it deemed “rigorous.”

Notably, the team posited that head coach Pat Fitzgerald “was not involved in any of the alleged incidents in any way, shape or form.” Moreover, the team reflected support for Fitzgerald to remain its head coach.

BREAKING: Northwestern team issues statement denying severity of hazing claims, supports Pat Fitzgerald as coach​

He is maybe the most overrated coach in the history of the conference. Of the last 3 northwestern coaches, he is the only one without a conference title.

He has two west division titles in the last six years and two 10 win seasons in the last eight. I’d say that’s pretty damn impressive.

It’s possible the era of coaches like Fitz has passed, but I don’t think so. Stuff like this can bring a team together, if he survives the pitchfork mob.

And here we go

Following a report from The Daily Northwestern on Saturday afternoon surrounding Northwestern football’s hazing allegations — with two former players providing graphic details about supposed unwanted sexual activities and other forms of physical and emotional harassment — the NU team has responded to claims.

In a statement provided to ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg, the team emphasized its lack of tolerance for hazing, calling the reported incidents “exaggerated and twisted,” as well as “fabrications.” Additionally, the team expressed faith in the university’s third-party investigation, led by Maggie Hickey of ArentFox Schiff, which it deemed “rigorous.”

Notably, the team posited that head coach Pat Fitzgerald “was not involved in any of the alleged incidents in any way, shape or form.” Moreover, the team reflected support for Fitzgerald to remain its head coach.

BREAKING: Northwestern team issues statement denying severity of hazing claims, supports Pat Fitzgerald as coach​

This is why literally everyone said if the reports are true.

In the setting of th e team saying that, this line “however, the investigation team determined that the complainant’s claims were largely supported by the evidence gathered during the investigation, including separate and consistent first-person accounts from current and former players” makes it extremely confusing to understand what exactly they’re saying happened. If there are events of players being forced to touch each other naked or be naked in the dark while others touch them, that kind of shit needs to be called out and stopped. Has no place anywhere. If that kind of thing didn’t happen, which is the bulk of what this player reported, I don’t understand why their released report determined the complainants story was largely supported by the evidence. Just is weird verbiage

I’ve read it all, the car wash and runs and naked wheelbarrows. It’s wierd, yeah.

I stand by what I’ve written.
Oh and to just make the point; wasn’t meaning that if you read the report you will change your mind, just that I didn’t want to type that whole thing out

Like everyone on this board, I do not have inside information on what happened. However, having worked in a university setting for about 30 years I have seen people get fired for various reasons. My observation is that toward the top of that list of things to get one fired is to be involved in something that embarrasses the university. This embarrasses the university. If it stays in the news for a few more days and it is found that Fitz knew anything about this, I predict he's gone.

The investigator surely was tasked to dig up any dirt that might embarrass the university and found nothing. Yet people keep mentioning the bolded. This seems more like a situation where people may want Fitz to be guilty because of their personal feelings about him or their sentiments towards hazing in general, rather than factual evidence.

We haven’t seen the report yet, maybe there is something to be had in there that would make him more culpable. Ignoring hazing training or seminars, etc. Ridiculing same.

He has two west division titles in the last six years and two 10 win seasons in the last eight. I’d say that’s pretty damn impressive.

It’s possible the era of coaches like Fitz has passed, but I don’t think so. Stuff like this can bring a team together, if he survives the pitchfork mob.
He has won 46% of his big ten games.
He is a pretty good coach. I didn’t say he was a bad coach. But anything saying he is nationally top 20 is a joke.
More often than not, he is the second best coach on the field in a given game.

The investigator surely was tasked to dig up any dirt that might embarrass the university and found nothing. Yet people keep mentioning the bolded. This seems more like a situation where people may want Fitz to be guilty because of their personal feelings about him or their sentiments towards hazing in general, rather than factual evidence.

We haven’t seen the report yet, maybe there is something to be had in there that would make him more culpable. Ignoring hazing training or seminars, etc. Ridiculing same.
Tbh, this entire thing is embarrassing to the university

Oh and to just make the point; wasn’t meaning that if you read the report you will change your mind, just that I didn’t want to type that whole thing out

When there are this many inconsistencies, sins of omission, curious statements, dueling statements, sloppy language used by attorneys (telling) it makes my BS meter start to twitter a little bit.

When there are this many inconsistencies, sins of omission, curious statements, dueling statements, sloppy language used by attorneys (telling) it makes my BS meter start to twitter a little bit.
I agree and it does make me wonder if they (the big ten, ncaa, etc) will bring in an outside group to look into it or what. Maybe with the full report it will become more clear, but the story as it sits now doesn’t make any sense

He has won 46% of his big ten games.
He is a pretty good coach. I didn’t say he was a bad coach. But anything saying he is nationally top 20 is a joke.
More often than not, he is the second best coach on the field in a given game.

I don’t know, what are NU’s “talent levels” compared to results. AFAIK pretty impressive but I don’t have the data in my think box right now. I do believe I collated it years ago and he’s done pretty well with what he has. The last couple years, yep, terrible.

This is why literally everyone said if the reports are true.

In the setting of th e team saying that, this line “however, the investigation team determined that the complainant’s claims were largely supported by the evidence gathered during the investigation, including separate and consistent first-person accounts from current and former players” makes it extremely confusing to understand what exactly they’re saying happened. If there are events of players being forced to touch each other naked or be naked in the dark while others touch them, that kind of shit needs to be called out and stopped. Has no place anywhere. If that kind of thing didn’t happen, which is the bulk of what this player reported, I don’t understand why their released report determined the complainants story was largely supported by the evidence. Just is weird verbiage

Current and former players could mean two (2). It is curious why they can’t be more expansive, right?

Are there more than two players? That doesn’t mean they’re lying, but it does raise more questions.

Top Bottom