Pat Fitzgerald suspended for 2weeks.

mngolf

Reaction score
Something about hazing. Just announced.

Announced where? I can't find the story anywhere.

On Chicago radio. WSCR a little bit ago.

The article I read was short on details as to what/how much hazing occurred. Story also said the summary report of the investigation didn't find he/coaching staff knew, but there were opportunities for them to know.

Just not a good look for a coach that has had some rough seasons of late.

Fitz may not have even known about it. But, on top of the recent futility, it makes me wonder if the buzzards are circling.

The article I read was short on details as to what/how much hazing occurred. Story also said the summary report of the investigation didn't find he/coaching staff knew, but there were opportunities for them to know.

Just not a good look for a coach that has had some rough seasons of late.
While yes, it did not happen right in front of him; his lack of oversite is telling. It has to do with the type of culture he instills. Evidently, there were players that felt entitled to carry this out.

He has in the past set a high bar for behavior. Once you deviate from that, it's the beginning of the end. Add to that, a crappy season and your backers flea like rats on a sinking ship.

I would bet he's gone before the beginning of the season (you heard it here first).

The investigation did not uncover evidence pointing to specific misconduct by any individual football player or coach, participation in or knowledge of the hazing activities was widespread across football players

Sounds might have been a situation with just few occurrences of bad choices, not a common event and coaches didn’t know.

This seems like it could happen on any team / to any coach at this point.

Last edited:

While yes, it did not happen right in front of him; his lack of oversite is telling. It has to do with the type of culture he instills. Evidently, there were players that felt entitled to carry this out.

He has in the past set a high bar for behavior. Once you deviate from that, it's the beginning of the end. Add to that, a crappy season and your backers flea like rats on a sinking ship.

I would bet he's gone before the beginning of the season (you heard it here first).
Either you know a lot more what happened than anyone else or this take doesn’t make much sense.

Either you know a lot more what happened than anyone else or this take doesn’t make much sense.
Agreed. When you have about 100 college-aged kids on your team, there's no way you can be monitoring all of them. A few people go rougue and they wanna blame the coach? This is just a little wrist slap. If the culture was as bad as Rescooter is making it sound, he'd be fired.

I always think it's funny that when an unpopular point is made, spelling gets checked or it's put off as not making sense without a counterpoint. Perhaps someone has more information than you and doesn't have the time to spellcheck or be hypercritical on differing opinions.

One last thought - there is more to this story and it's ugly.

What did the hazing entail? Were the freshman given a playbook written completely in Esperanto? Were they forced to recite Pi to the twentieth row behind the decimal point?

I always think it's funny that when an unpopular point is made, spelling gets checked or it's put off as not making sense without a counterpoint. Perhaps someone has more information than you and doesn't have the time to spellcheck or be hypercritical on differing opinions.

How would you know? Why hasn't more come out?

This might be the first step to this being his last year at Northwestern.
Exactly, this is just the NW administration laying a little ground work in case they want to fire him at the end of the year. They always like to have something to point to indicating there were issues. NW is a private institution and they could have easily kept this quite if they wanted to.

They would be insane to let him go. The fact that the team is even competitive once in a while is impressive. Any other coach who comes in and even sniffs success is taking another offer....
They would be, but it doesn't mean that they wouldn't put themselves in position to do so.

Top Bottom