Pat Fitzgerald suspended for 2weeks.

to reiterate:

I wasn't there. I don't know what happened.

I think something happened. but I don't know to what extent.

and I also understand that people have agendas.

If you want to believe the allegations, that is your right.

but what about the player who told ESPN the source of the allegations had an agenda to "get Fitz?" is he believable? does that make the allegations less believable?

it's a mess. and NW is coming off back-to-back seasons of 3-9 and 1-11.

to take the cynical approach - it's a lot easier to fire a coach when he's losing.

in today's cancel-culture world, if I had to bet my own money, I would put the odds on Fitz not surviving this.

but again, when you have conflicting stories, that means by definition that someone is not telling the truth, or is 'misremembering' what took place.

to reiterate:

but what about the player who told ESPN the source of the allegations had an agenda to "get Fitz?" is he believable? does that make the allegations less believable?

to take the cynical approach - it's a lot easier to fire a coach when he's losing.

in today's cancel-culture world, if I had to bet my own money, I would put the odds on Fitz not surviving this.

but again, when you have conflicting stories, that means by definition that someone is not telling the truth, or is 'misremembering' what took place.
I will once again take this opportunity to point out that facing consequences for your actions (or lack of actions) is not being "cancelled".

I will once again take this opportunity to point out that facing consequences for your actions (or lack of actions) is not being "cancelled".

as long as the consequences are appropriate for the situation - based on facts and provable evidence - not allegations in the court of public opinion.

cancel culture - in my understanding of the term - often involves a rush to judgement, with no consideration of mitigating circumstances. it's a black-and-white way of looking at a world that far too often exists in shades of gray.

to reiterate:

Greys? Like Zeta Reticulans? I’m not sure if the are real.

And once again I will take this opportunity to point out you nor anybody else on this thread knows any facts with any necessary precision to make assessments on anyone’s culpability. Someone leaking the report would help, but hard to say if the school is burying the report because it is harmful to the school, or it would cast doubt on the veracity of complainant which is a no no in certain circles, or harmful to Fitzpatrick. I am somewhat surprised it hasn’t surfaced …yet.

NU may decide the easiest course of action is to cut Fitzgerald which will satisfy the central player, media pundits, Fitz-hating fans, and reactionary NU fans and alumni eager to wash the stain off their degree and school. Some have called for suspension of the season, or shutting down the program as penance. That will open up a new can of worms in terms of initial administration inaction, legal jeopardy, and whether a for cause firing is defensible. Maybe they thread the needle if the furor dies down, attention drifts to other scandals.

It depends on what else we learn.

Curious how well this legal firm did with their review.

If it was a "Make sure you find something, but don't find too much" hired investigations, that could come out in the end and that would be bad for them.

Separately, I’m a little disappointed nobody has addressed the Grant Norton allegations of abuse by Nichol and Fleck. Compare, draw distinctions, so on.
If I remember correctly, there wasn't much to the allegations other than what Norton said to a "media" wannabe.

WSCR just interviewed the editor of InsideNU.

Schill has had so many sexual assault issues on campus that he has been dealing with them on a daily basis for 2 years.

6 female professors have started a petition to stop funding of the new football stadium.

A former player is now accusing football staff of racism(using words I won't use here) all the way back to 2009.

Interesting note of how there hasn't been 1 word from the AD.

And locals in Evanston along with some students are against a new stadium in the neighborhood, and putting up some fight.

If I remember correctly, there wasn't much to the allegations other than what Norton said to a "media" wannabe.

But, what if the school opened an investigation. Would any other players corroborate part or all of what Stahl and his sources are alleging? Would a report by an outside law firm clear Fleck completely or uncover potentially damaging testimony? I tend to think there are at least a handful of former disgruntled players that might say stuff, true or not. Yes, I am cynical. Given enough evidence, reliable sources and so on throw the book. Until then I reserve judgment.

Schill has had so many sexual assault issues on campus that he has been dealing with them on a daily basis for 2 years.

6 female professors have started a petition to stop funding of the new football stadium.

A former player is now accusing football staff of racism(using words I won't use here) all the way back to 2009.

And locals in Evanston along with some students are against a new stadium in the neighborhood, and putting up some fight.

Re: the AD I’d guess right now the in-house and third party attorneys and their interested parties are diagramming their options, creating plausible deniability. Discussion with media experts and consultants.

I’d guess a large percentage of NU students aren’t football fans, or sports fans. Sports clashing with academic mission, financing concerns, enabling of toxic masculinity concerns. All old territory covered ad nauseum. Maybe it really is different this time though. Maybe the schools or at least the more elite tier schools should divorce from the new semi-pro CFB. Separate thread.

The irony of you saying who are you debating and then posting this 😂
As expected, you keep making sarcastic remarks and such when called out. Like most posters, when you go for a thought and it's wrong, you just can't admit it. Gotta always have a way out. In the last post you made up some stuff about "coach rankings on this site" and I asked you for more and did you have anything? Nope. Just useless snark. I'm sure more will follow in your reply.

Trial by Gopherhole message board is my favorite kind of trial.
I think that's a problem with 2023 America. With social media, we can always find "sources" that support our beliefs, no matter how farcical. Opinions have become facts for too many of us.

I think the most likely scenario is that Fitz resigns. The school could negotiate some or most of his buyout, and no one has to directly admit fault. The school gets to say they cut ties with Fitz and the investigation and media frenzy die down as a result.

This gets real messy if Fitz doesn’t resign, and the school, players, and coaches all start casting stones at each other through lawyers, and the PR stuff gets dragged out for much longer.

And once again I will take this opportunity to point out you nor anybody else on this thread knows any facts with any necessary precision to make assessments on anyone’s culpability. Someone leaking the report would help, but hard to say if the school is burying the report because it is harmful to the school, or it would cast doubt on the veracity of complainant which is a no no in certain circles, or harmful to Fitzpatrick. I am somewhat surprised it hasn’t surfaced …yet.

NU may decide the easiest course of action is to cut Fitzgerald which will satisfy the central player, media pundits, Fitz-hating fans, and reactionary NU fans and alumni eager to wash the stain off their degree and school. Some have called for suspension of the season, or shutting down the program as penance. That will open up a new can of worms in terms of initial administration inaction, legal jeopardy, and whether a for cause firing is defensible. Maybe they thread the needle if the furor dies down, attention drifts to other scandals.
I'm not calling for Fitz to be fired yet, I'm simply saying if the investigation finds that he should be fired, it will almost certainly be due to his own negligence and not some made up concept of "cancel culture".

As expected, you keep making sarcastic remarks and such when called out. Like most posters, when you go for a thought and it's wrong, you just can't admit it. Gotta always have a way out. In the last post you made up some stuff about "coach rankings on this site" and I asked you for more and did you have anything? Nope. Just useless snark. I'm sure more will follow in your reply.
Thanks for confirming that you agree with me also don’t see him as a top 20 coach

What does “running” and “car wash” mean?
"the practice of “running” a player, when “a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various ‘Purge-like’ masks” would surround and “dry hump” a player in the locker room who made a mistake during practice or in a game."

"In a once-a-year tradition dubbed “the carwash,” the first player said that some players would stand naked at the entrance to the showers and spin around, forcing those entering the showers to “basically (rub) up against a bare-naked man.” Upon entering the showers, the player alleged that players set up a hose they connected to the shower to spray people.

“It’s extremely painful,” the player said."

Time for NU to install the Barry Alvarez policy. And while I admire PE’s position americas greatest position coach at NU is almost complete.

Last edited:

Thanks for confirming that you agree with me also don’t see him as a top 20 coach
In case anyone was wondering what alt account Gophers_4Life posts under...this seems to fit the bill. Argue incessantly, but at all costs, never answer a direct question when called out if it might be unfavorable to you....

"the practice of “running” a player, when “a group of 8-10 upperclassmen dressed in various ‘Purge-like’ masks” would surround and “dry hump” a player in the locker room who made a mistake during practice or in a game."

"In a once-a-year tradition dubbed “the carwash,” the first player said that some players would stand naked at the entrance to the showers and spin around, forcing those entering the showers to “basically (rub) up against a bare-naked man.” Upon entering the showers, the player alleged that players set up a hose they connected to the shower to spray people.

“It’s extremely painful,” the player said."

What I don't get is what grown man would put up with any of this. Even if you're just a freshman, you're still an adult and shouldn't let anyone, anyone at all, push you around, etc.

What I don't get is what grown man would put up with any of this. Even if you're just a freshman, you're still an adult and shouldn't let anyone, anyone at all, push you around, etc.
Except when you have aspirations of playing high level CFB or making the NFL, and/or wanting to fit in with a new group of people after leaving your home and moving halfway across the country, it's not that simple. It's easy to sit here and say that they should stand up for themselves, but when you feel your scholarship may be on the line, your mindset changes.

Except when you have aspirations of playing high level CFB or making the NFL, and/or wanting to fit in with a new group of people after leaving your home and moving halfway across the country, it's not that simple. It's easy to sit here and say that they should stand up for themselves, but when you feel your scholarship may be on the line, your mindset changes.
Plus, as frosh most are still 18 years old. I don't want to remind myself of the stupid things (including not standing up for myself and sometimes others) that I did or did not do as an 18 year old or 22 for that matter. Not that I didn't stand up for myself and others, but there were some instances when I didn't. That being said, those who perpetrated these barbaric acts, or tolerated them, should be held accountable. There is no reason for this dehumanizing behavior to ever occur.

In case anyone was wondering what alt account Gophers_4Life posts under...this seems to fit the bill. Argue incessantly, but at all costs, never answer a direct question when called out if it might be unfavorable to you....
The alt account is mpls_gopher. Or something like that.

Top Bottom