Pat Fitzgerald suspended for 2weeks.

How soon we forget all the allegations from Stahl and a few others of a toxic environment in Fleck’s program. Norton being worked through illness, etc. Do we take these at face value? Serious question. If so, ought he to be gone. Where is the line of acceptable behavior, oversight, responsibility. Personally I think the various allegations are exaggerated, misrepresented, or possibly “misremembered“. I don’t claim to know, though. Could be true.

From Stahl’s blog

As his mental health declined, the physical soon followed. Grant’s throat was hit hard during one practice and his overall health spiraled downward from there. Grant described waking up every morning so racked with anxiety about another day of practice that he would immediately begin vomiting which exacerbated his throat injury. The vomiting became so continuous and intense that he was eventually throwing up blood all the time and couldn’t keep any food down. This physical and mental toll led to rapid weight loss. Grant came into summer camp at 6 feet, 8 inches and 280 pounds. He said in about 4 weeks he had lost roughly forty pounds of this weight simply because he couldn’t keep food down and was vomiting so much.

Despite staff knowing all of this, Grant was not kept out of practice. Quite the contrary. Instead of being kept out of practice, he was practiced harderby the coaching staff, particularly Fleck’s longtime strength and conditioning coach Dan Nichol. Not only did he have to continue grinding out practices in his physical and mental condition, he also had to do five-minute planks after practice was over as punishment for not keeping on weight. Grant said at one point that Nichol actually apologized for having to do this but these were his orders.

A person affiliated with the University of Minnesota football program, and who prefers to remain anonymous so as to avoid retaliation, confirmed much of Grant’s story for me. This person said that they couldn’t believe what Grant was put through at Minnesota—particularly the fact that Grant was forced to keep practicing as his condition deteriorated. My source personally witnessed Grant throwing up blood and told me that with his shirt off Grant “had come to look more like a tight end than an offensive lineman” given his rapid weight loss.

…Finally, Coach Fleck created a culture of overwork among everyone in his orbit. Student-athletes said that every hour of their day seemed scheduled for in some way—whether or not the hours were “countable” within NCAA guidelines. One student told me that “he had no time for leisure at all.” Another player characterized sleep as his only leisure activity. Players who seemed destined to always be on the practice squad, and/or who were not on scholarship, told me that they felt like their bodies didn’t matter to coaches and that they were essentially tackling dummies for starters. Coaches were subjected to this culture of overwork as well. A player told me that he witnessed an assistant coach break down crying because he never saw his family given that he was always at work. I think this is one of the reasons why Coach Fleck sees such a high turnover in his coaching staff (9 coaches in 3 years). This might also be why nearly half of Coach Fleck’s first full recruiting class from 2018 has now left the program.

True but even the university seems to be admitting those things happened. Question just seems to be who knew and/or should have known.

If they released the report it would help flesh out the who's and the what’s. The university will understandably walk on eggshells on veracity. They said there was some level of corroboration but it could be as few as two players, and we don’t know what was corroborated and what wasn’t.

Last edited:

the number of people now getting pissed at rittenberg for not publishing the photo are insane.

Madness of crowds. Seeing calls now not only for the firing of athletic staff and school administration but the arrest of Fitz and Schill. Pretty amazing, a real life psychology experiment. Conformity tests next, also a well studied phenomenon.

more from ESPN on the allegations:

From Schill: "In determining an appropriate penalty for the head coach, I focused too much on what the report concluded he didn't know and not enough on what he should have known," Schill wrote. "As the head coach of one of our athletics programs, coach Fitzgerald is not only responsible for what happens within the program but also must take great care to uphold our institutional commitment to the student experience. ... Clearly, he failed to uphold that commitment, and I failed to sufficiently consider that failure in levying a sanction."

It will be interesting to see what the final report comes out as in full, but making it seem more and more likely it's going to be a lengthy suspension versus firing for Fitz.
No way they can keep him. It would be colossally stupid.

Madness of crowds. Seeing calls now not only for the firing of athletic staff and school administration but the arrest of Fitz and Schill. Pretty amazing, a real life psychology experiment. Conformity tests next, also a well studied phenomenon.
I'll give you this much...when you decide to ride a sinking ship to the bottom, you don't bail.

If they released the report it would help flesh out the who's and the what’s. The university will understandably walk on eggshells on veracity. They said there was some level of corroboration but it could be as few as two players, and we don’t know what was corroborated and what wasn’t.

The executive report released seems to do a good job of protecting the university. If the report finds that coaches knew about it and allowed it to happen, the university would be admitting it actively enabled sexual assault and opening itself up to big time damages. That makes firing Fitz interesting - how do you fire him for cause while also not admitting that he knew about it and opening yourself up to a slam dunk lawsuit or settlement?

I am really curious to see how many players get cut as a result. It sounds like a lot of players were involved. In fact, the report appears to claim it was wholly on the players. If true, you’d think there would be double digit cuts from the team.

As far as releasing the report, I wouldn’t hold your breath about seeing names. First, the students aren’t employees, so they might be redacted since the university chartered the investigation. Second, it could become a criminal matter, so they might tout that line to sit on the full report.

The executive report released seems to do a good job of protecting the university. If the report finds that coaches knew about it and allowed it to happen, the university would be admitting it actively enabled sexual assault and opening itself up to big time damages. That makes firing Fitz interesting - how do you fire him for cause while also not admitting that he knew about it and opening yourself up to a slam dunk lawsuit or settlement?

I am really curious to see how many players get cut as a result. It sounds like a lot of players were involved. In fact, the report appears to claim it was wholly on the players. If true, you’d think there would be double digit cuts from the team.

As far as releasing the report, I wouldn’t hold your breath about seeing names. First, the students aren’t employees, so they might be redacted since the university chartered the investigation. Second, it could become a criminal matter, so they might tout that line to sit on the full report.
They fire him for results, pay his buyout and hope it all goes away? Yeah your first paragraph makes this get real dicey based on what they’ve released so far if they choose to go the way of firing him

I'll give you this much...when you decide to ride a sinking ship to the bottom, you don't bail.

^ You should know cheap shots aren’t a great counterpoint. Do you have anything of substance to add here, or just waving the pitchfork. I’d think teaching or advising young people to avoid rush to judgment when there are virtually no known facts is a reasonable position?

No?

Yep. Many unanswered questions here. I read hazing is a criminal offense in Illinois which adds some spice. The complainant is going to have to start squawking some names soon once the legal fireworks get going. Why didn’t the school contact police, and so on. 🤔

Interested to hear Pat’s take. Not the imbecile Forde, but Fitz.

Hazing that does not result in bodily harm is a Class A misdemeanor in IL. “Under Illinois law, a Class A misdemeanor is a criminal offense, which carries the most severe penalties of all misdemeanor offenses. If you are charged with a Class A misdemeanor, the maximum potential penalties include up to 364 days in jail, a fine of up to $2,500.00 in addition to mandatory court assessments.”

That‘s before any of the sexual assault aspects. Somebody or somebodies are withholding information. When did the alleged incidents occur?

New Discipline Story. So, the president talks to the player involved AFTER he issues discipline??
And then he decides he probably screwed up so tells the media BEFORE he has any idea what the next step is. How messed up is this guy?

President seems to be handling this pretty poorly is my point.

2nd point: From the little bit I have read, why wouldn't Fitzgerald be fired already?

New Discipline Story. So, the president talks to the player involved AFTER he issues discipline??
And then he decides he probably screwed up so tells the media BEFORE he has any idea what the next step is. How messed up is this guy?

President seems to be handling this pretty poorly is my point.

2nd point: From the little bit I have read, why wouldn't Fitzgerald be fired already?
Point 2 has two reasons
1) they didn’t take it serious until very recently
And/or
2) it’s not been substantiated to the point they are firing for cause, so by waiting they could save themselves money so they can gather more evidence

Or 3

None of it is true

It truly is a downtime when so many people care so much about what happens in another university based on hearsay evidence.
Well yeah. But you’re on a message board you find it interesting people are discussing a topic that impacts a team inside the division who is on the schedule?

It truly is a downtime when so many people care so much about what happens in another university based on hearsay evidence.
I mean this isn’t some run of the mill gossip story, this involves a big ten university involved in a potentially major scandal that could lead to the firing of a big name head coach who has been there for 17 years. This would be a top story any time of year.

It was a six month investigation commissioned by the university. Attorneys investigated. They interviewed over 50 people. So, I think they have some information beyond hearsay.
The players are saying it happened but don't want to be expelled so they are downplaying it.

Chicago Sun Times weighs in
“It’s a shocking experience as a freshman to see your fellow freshmen teammates get ran, but then you see everybody bystanding in the locker room,” the former player told the newspaper. “It’s just a really abrasive and barbaric culture that has permeated throughout that program for years on end now.”

It was a six month investigation commissioned by the university. Attorneys investigated. They interviewed over 50 people. So, I think they have some information beyond hearsay.
The players are saying it happened but don't want to be expelled so they are downplaying it.
Where did you read this part?

Big difference between making the freshmen wear pink backpacks and this shit. Who is demented enough to dream this shit up in the first place?

Where did you read this part?
I have not read anybody saying it didn't happen and there was a line somewhere that said something like players acknowledged the activity but downplayed the severity or the frequency of the occurrences.
The line about smart people not wanting to offer up more information than absolutely necessary to self incriminate themselves with expulsion is all mine.

I have not read anybody saying it didn't happen and there was a line somewhere that said something like players acknowledged the activity but downplayed the severity or the frequency of the occurrences.
The line about smart people not wanting to offer up more information than absolutely necessary to self incriminate themselves with expulsion is all mine.

It was "investigated' by a law firm and then by a student newspaper but no one testified under oath so it is still hear say.
If they want to fire the coach for cause Northwestern needs people to testify under oath.

It was "investigated' by a law firm and then by a student newspaper but no one testified under oath so it is still hear say.
If they want to fire the coach for cause Northwestern needs people to testify under oath.
Is that something in his contract? People get let go for cause in companies daily without being under oath. Usually means the company working with its employment lawyer, but it doesn't involve putting people under oath.

Top Bottom