CFP predictions

Alabama's not that good, I hear.

Well, they have an ace card some are not talking about.

Who would have thought... with them, you know, not being that good.

1701626784357.png

Eventhough Alabama should be in, you can't overlook an undefeated P5 conference champ and if Alabama is in, Texas has to be in too. Have a feeling there are going to be a lot of tears from the SEC shortly.

Eventhough Alabama should be in, you can't overlook an undefeated P5 conference champ and if Alabama is in, Texas has to be in too. Have a feeling there are going to be a lot of tears from the SEC shortly.
Uh, wut??

And for all those who defend this system, this is exactly why FBS should run like every other level of football, with auto-bids and a true 16, 24 or 32 team tournament.
At least at the FCS level, many who follow it closely recognize that the tourney has too many teams and pointless games. It probably makes some sense at DII and III where competition is very regionalized and there's no way objectively compare teams, but at the division 1 level, it's easy enough to see that most years, the Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA, MW aren't going to have a team with any business in the M
N.C. discussion. An expanded playoff that awards a few autobids and several at large would be fine. 12 teams really would be max.

in the end, the committee asked themselves - "Do we have the guts to have a 4-team playoff without a team from the SEC?"

after pondering that question, they pooped their pants - went to the bathroom and cleaned up - and then came back and put an SEC team in the playoffs.

While Greg Sankey and ESPN popped champagne and began the celebration.

Not really, since under next years system, they'll all get in the playoff.
The ACC bias will still exist. Does the 2nd place ACC team with a comparable resume beat out a peer B1G or SEC team for an at large spot? History says no.

in the end, the committee asked themselves - "Do we have the guts to have a 4-team playoff without a team from the SEC?"

ESPN owns the SEC contract and the CFP contract. You really think the committee has autonomy against the Mouse?

This is a boon for ESPN. They get Alabama as a villain, and they get a storyline to talk about on all their stupid talk shows for the next few weeks leading up to it.

They're going to sell SO MANY chicken wing commercials.

According to disco and some others, as long as you get one team in, it goes from travesty then step changes up to reasonable. See?

after pondering that question, they pooped their pants - went to the bathroom and cleaned up - and then came back and put an SEC team in the playoffs.

CFP Committee...
1000002869.jpg

ESPN has monopoly ownership of the CFP.

They own it. They pay for it.

SEC is their crown jewel property and who they’re in bed with.

Do the math, folks.

Starting in 2026 I believe the CFP will have multiple media partners.
Most seem to agree this is BS but nobody is surprised.

If you are an undefeated P5 champ, especially one who also scheduled a very legitimate P5 team out of conference, it shouldn't matter if an on field lightning strike knocks out all 11 starters on offense, they should be in.

To everyone who has argued that the smaller playoff field makes the regular season games matter more, FSU apparently played 13 meaningless games this year.

I’m not equating anything to the last 20 years, I asked who you thought would win today. The answer to that question might not matter to you but it matters to the committee.
Like @Pompous Elitist said above, the answer to who would win between Alabama & FSU (not today, btw…well over a month from now, but I digress) is “We don’t know.” They both looked shaky at times, including just two weeks ago in rivalry games.

The committee did what they did, but I don’t understand anyone arguing that Alabama is unequivocally a better team than FSU - even with their backup QB. The SEC ain’t what they were in past years. We honestly don’t even know how good Georgia is. They might be about as good as Auburn considering they beat them by a TD and then lost to Alabama by the same amount as Auburn.

Great post. Extra points for using pooped and popped in the same post. Well done!

While I agree it suck’s to have an ESPN-SEC monopoly, it’s just going to a ESPN-SEC + FOX-Big Ten duopoly.

For whatever it’s worth

Knowing the QB will be healthy, yes. They beat the #16 team basically without a serviceable QB. Found a way to stay undefeated. That defense is lights out good.
You will have every opportunity to bet the hell out of it (probably with 10 points) in their game against Georgia.

I agree their defense is lights out and are pretty similar to Michigan regardless of their QB.

ESPN owns the SEC contract and the CFP contract. You really think the committee has autonomy against the Mouse?

This is a boon for ESPN. They get Alabama as a villain, and they get a storyline to talk about on all their stupid talk shows for the next few weeks leading up to it.

They're going to sell SO MANY chicken wing commercials.
The one with Prime's kid?

Like @Pompous Elitist said above, the answer to who would win between Alabama & FSU (not today, btw…well over a month from now, but I digress) is “We don’t know.” They both looked shaky at times, including just two weeks ago in rivalry games.

The committee did what they did, but I don’t understand anyone arguing that Alabama is unequivocally a better team than FSU - even with their backup QB. The SEC ain’t what they were in past years. We honestly don’t even know how good Georgia is. They might be about as good as Auburn considering they beat them by a TD and then lost to Alabama by the same amount as Auburn.
Don't forget, when Alabama squeaked by a medicore Auburn team, that showed us that Alabama is one of those really great teams where, even when they don't play their best, can find a way to win. On the other hand, FSU only beating number 16 Louisville by 10 shows they really don't pass the eye test.

Also, we know the SEC is good because they won 4 out of the 10 games they played against the ACC this year.

At least at the FCS level, many who follow it closely recognize that the tourney has too many teams and pointless games. It probably makes some sense at DII and III where competition is very regionalized and there's no way objectively compare teams, but at the division 1 level, it's easy enough to see that most years, the Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA, MW aren't going to have a team with any business in the M
N.C. discussion. An expanded playoff that awards a few autobids and several at large would be fine. 12 teams really would be max.
Then there needs to be an official split to another level of football below the P5 (P4?).

The Pioneer gets an auto bid in FCS. The UMAC gets an auto bid in D3. In theory, every team at the lower levels has a shot at winning the title, no matter how unlikely. This doesn't exist at the highest level. If you win the Sun Belt or AAC, or this year, the ACC, it means nothing. You're playing for nothing.

According to disco and some others, as long as you get one team in, it goes from travesty then step changes up to reasonable. See?
As usual, you're spouting nonsense. Didn't you just guarantee Georgia and Bama would get in. Do you ever tire of being wrong?

Top Bottom