CFP predictions

Well, my daughter is in Med School at UT, so I guess I have a horse in the race, and need a new hoodie.

He was surprisingly transparent with his answer to that question.
I fully expected that. I believe their goal is to get the 4 best teams at season’s end into a playoff. Unfortunately, without their star QB, FSU is not one of the 4.

See - you prove my point with your comment. You took the historical data to justify the current situation. If that’s what the purpose is, than your logic is correct.

But I believe the purpose is to get the best 4 teams at season’s end to playoff. If you watched Alabama/Georgia and FSU/Louisville this weekend, Alabama is the 4th team. It has nearly the same defense and a far more explosive offense than FSU. Right now. It would beat FSU 8 out of 10.

I mean…I don’t understand how you can possibly assert that. We have Alabamas resume and it isn’t great.

You realize FSU was starting their freshman third stringer last night.

Is Penn State done deal in the NY6 now that Louisville won’t be jumping up into the Orange?

I mean…I don’t understand how you can possibly assert that. We have Alabamas resume and it isn’t great.

You realize FSU was starting their freshman third stringer last night.
I do. That’s why FSU is not in. FSU with a 3rd string QB is not one of the best 4 teams in the country.

Money talks. FSU gets f*cked. I feel really bad about them.

On the other hand, laughing my ass off that Michigan has to face Alabama in the first round.
I think Michigan wins comfortably.

SEC is like the fossil fuel industry. They use their deep pockets to stay relevant. It is good for them and bad for the rest of the world. Rather than spread the wealth of CFB, they perpetuate the status quo.

I’m just one viewer and my viewership is not worth anything - but I am not going to watch any game with AL in it.

I do. That’s why FSU is not in. FSU with a 3rd string QB is not one of the best 4 teams in the country.
By the way, I believe that with their star QB is FSU IS ONE the best 4 teams. But he’s not able to play.

This just goes to show how corrupt the system is. Bama not deserving but in anyway. Same way with how this NIL deal is working out. The NCAA is woke and broke.

Committee Chair just admitted they penalized FSU for an injury to their QB.
Which is a bogus reason.

Someone deserving is always going to be on the outside looking in, but I think it's hard to justify leaving FSU out. Great defense and my guess is including them would have been less embarrassing than having TCU in last season.

Yep. Booger is the only one who isn't an SEC bobo on the show.
Yeah, never thought I’d be a Booger apologist, but he was taking blows from all sides during that breakdown and stood his ground. The spin machine was in full effect and nobody else was even willing to question. Unreal, but really shouldn’t be surprising I guess. All about the $$ — just like it is for the players and conferences now.

Committee Chair just admitted they penalized FSU for an injury to their QB.
One of the criteria is subjective and allows them to factor in things like player availability.

Florida state was also done in by a pretty bad strength of schedule.

The stupidest thing about this matchup set this year:

sending Alabama to the Rose and Washington to the Sugar. F’ing dumb

Yea, but their 2nd stringer will be back for the next game. Know that doesn't matter at this point, but still think FSU got screwed. They did everything asked of them.

The talking heads (minus Booger) all sound very disingenuous. All drooling over Alabama getting in over an undefeated FSU team......but taking some time to say how bad they feel for FSU getting left out.

Are you saying you think they are one of the 4 most deserving or that you would favor them over Alabama right now?

I would say “I don’t know” which is the only correct answer. We cannot equate 2023 teams to their historical body of work over the last 20 years as tempting as it is.

Easy to see this coming and there is no true justification for leaving an undefeated power 5 team out. But the moment Bama beat Georgia it was clear the committee was going to do whatever was necessary to get an SEC team in.

Can’t include Bama and leave Texas out due to head to head. So only thing left to do is screw over FSU. Had their QB not been hurt I wonder what the committee would have done?

One of the criteria is subjective and allows them to factor in things like player availability.

Florida state was also done in by a pretty bad strength of schedule.
Strength of Schedule has an inherent bias, especially when it comes to the SEC. I will always contend that the middle to bottom tier of the SEC are among the worst in the entire Power 5. But those teams are considered better than they are because they're in the SEC, which leads to SOS ranking of the top SEC teams being drastically inflated.

ACC was 6-4 against the SEC this year. I want someone to tell me that if the resumes were identical, but the name of Alabama's conference was different, that we'd have the same decision here.

(This is more of an argument against the committee than an argument with you)

Washington-Texas is going to be a very entertaining game. I have Texas beating Michigan to win it all.

I would say “I don’t know” which is the only correct answer. We cannot equate 2023 teams to their historical body of work over the last 20 years as tempting as it is.
I’m not equating anything to the last 20 years, I asked who you thought would win today. The answer to that question might not matter to you but it matters to the committee.

Looking at the selection criteria they say they look to pick the best 4 teams, not the 4 teams most likely to win on a particular date. Florida State's injured QBs are part of the team. It doesn't say anything about excluding players with injuries.

Even if this helps ratings in the short-term it's a bad move long-term. College football will continue to lose fans as fans see how rigged the sport is and how the things happening off the field are more important than what happens on the field. Part of the excitement of watching a big game is knowing that the outcome will impact the playoff and bowl placements, if a power 5 team can have a perfect season and still not make it over teams that lost then the game isn't as exciting.

ESPN has monopoly ownership of the CFP.

They own it. They pay for it.

SEC is their crown jewel property and who they’re in bed with.

Do the math, folks.

Starting in 2026 I believe the CFP will have multiple media partners.

Top Bottom