CFP predictions

Like @Pompous Elitist said above, the answer to who would win between Alabama & FSU (not today, btw…well over a month from now, but I digress) is “We don’t know.” They both looked shaky at times, including just two weeks ago in rivalry games.

The committee did what they did, but I don’t understand anyone arguing that Alabama is unequivocally a better team than FSU - even with their backup QB. The SEC ain’t what they were in past years. We honestly don’t even know how good Georgia is. They might be about as good as Auburn considering they beat them by a TD and then lost to Alabama by the same amount as Auburn.
I didn’t argue that Alabama is unequivocally better. We ask people who they think will win games every week in every sport when betting lines are made, I'm not sure why we are acting like this is a foreign concept now.

If you're saying who you think wins in a head-to-head game against Alabama doesn't matter to you. That's cool. But to say "I don't know". . . feels a little like punting to avoid your main point. I think your answer really is "regardless of who I think would win, it doesn't matter as much as what has happened on the field".

FSU should file a lawsuit alleging collusion between the ESPN/NCAA/SEC. Discovery would be super juicy. I guarantee a memo was sent to on air talent yesterday morning to constantly talk down FSU and question their worthiness. There was a dramatic shift in tone yesterday.

Barring an injunction, FSU should show up to the bowl, collect their swag, go out for warm ups and then refuse to leave the sideline for the game. Clearly what happens on the field doesn’t matter

FSU should file a lawsuit alleging collusion between the ESPN/NCAA/SEC. Discovery would be super juicy. I guarantee a memo was sent to on air talent yesterday morning to constantly talk down FSU and question their worthiness. There was a dramatic shift in tone yesterday.

Barring an injunction, FSU should show up to the bowl, collect their swag, go out for warm ups and then refuse to leave the sideline for the game. Clearly what happens on the field doesn’t matter
The new way stupid people collude is to send emails that say "check your Teams messages" and then outright say "hey, lets collude in Teams", you know, because that goes away.

I didn’t argue that Alabama is unequivocally better. We ask people who they think will win games every week in every sport when betting lines are made, I'm not sure why we are acting like this is a foreign concept now.

If you're saying who you think wins in a head-to-head game against Alabama doesn't matter to you. That's cool. But to say "I don't know". . . feels a little like punting to avoid your main point. I think your answer really is "regardless of who I think would win, it doesn't matter as much as what has happened on the field".

I accept I can’t possibly know and don’t know, informed by decades of fanhood and observation. My position is Alabama isn’t great this year. Ohio State might be better. I don’t know how good FSU would be with their #2 with a month of preparation. Nobody does.

Thats why concrete criteria such as wins > losses should be respected, not throwing darts guesses.

What’s worse: “guaranteeing “ (didn’t use that word) two SEC in or saying they would get none in?

Particularly when they’re talking about how they “looked” with their third string QB playing on short notice.

I accept I can’t possibly know. My position is Alabama isn’t great this year. Ohio State might be better. I don’t know how good FSU would be with their #2 with a month of preparation. Nobody does.

Thats why concrete criteria such as wins > losses should be respected, not throwing darts guesses.
I didn't ask you if you know who is going to win the game, I asked you who you think would win a game. I didn't realize the concept of picking a potential winner of a future athletic event was going to be such a foreign concept here.

My question was not initially to disagree with you on the outcome.

There seems to be two arguments:
(1) They should not factor in the subjective analysis of who the committee THINKS is the better team. They should focus on only the results on the field.

OR

(2) The on the field results should matter way more than any subjective analysis and I think FSU is one of the best 4 teams in college football today.

The media has billions and billions of dollars tied up in all this, it is all about money and special interests now. The sport you knew is dead.

Yep. Your signature is great and more relevant than ever.

College Football is more corrupt now than any other point in its history
I think corrupt is a bit stronger than a term I would use (but I honestly can't find a better term) but with the transfer portal, the NIL, and the politicking surrounding the CFP it's difficult to ignore all the arbitrariness that now pervades this system. It's almost like they should go to a 64-team league with eight divisions and then run the playoffs with the division winners to at least clean up the playoff mess.

I didn't ask you if you know who is going to win the game, I asked you who you think would win a game. I didn't realize the concept of picking a potential winner of a future athletic event was going to be such a foreign concept here.

My question was not initially to disagree with you on the outcome.

There seems to be two arguments:
(1) They should not factor in the subjective analysis of who the committee THINKS is the better team. They should focus on only the results on the field.

OR

(2) The on the field results should matter way more than any subjective analysis and I think FSU is one of the best 4 teams in college football today.

Counselor, with all due respect you are dodging the concept. The committee is guessing. In this case they can’t possibly know or even think they know who is better. Even if we had a larger body of work there is still a reason the games are played and bettors can be wrong.

Your criteria 1 and 2 are utilized by the committee as needed to rationalize their decision. Sure. They do not (or should not) have equal weighting.

Based on your terrible last few posts, I'll assume you are also drinking.

I'm just beating the drum that the Georgia loss went from BANG headline news to not even mentioned. if you take down #1, what does that make you.

The reality is that FSU is out 100% entirely because of the QB iinjury.or they would of course be in.

in the end, the committee asked themselves - "Do we have the guts to have a 4-team playoff without a team from the SEC?"

after pondering that question, they pooped their pants - went to the bathroom and cleaned up - and then came back and put an SEC team in the playoffs.

While Greg Sankey and ESPN popped champagne and began the celebration.
It is prettt crazy that a committee made up of members of all the other conferences absolutely screwed Florida state to the benefit of Alabama. They just set a precedent that anyone can be screwed except the SEC

The issue I have Alabama going is that if they’re going to use all these justifications like hypothetical point spreads and who you wouldn’t want to play.
Georgia should be 4 and Bama should be 5

He feels like he let his team down. And his team won the games after he got hurt. Just a crock.
I feel really bad for the kid. His injury is being used as the justification for leaving his undefeated team out of the playoff which is such a joke. But that is so unfair to him to make him feel in any way responsible for his team getting hosed.

The panhandle of Florida is basically the same thing as Alabama, anyway.

So it’s fine :cool:

Why is there such a big gap in time between top 6 announced and showing the top 25 and NY6?

Give confs time to negotiate and figure out all the bowls?

I feel really bad for the kid. His injury is being used as the justification for leaving his undefeated team out of the playoff which is such a joke. But that is so unfair to him to make him feel in any way responsible for his team getting hosed.

In hindsight they should have lied about the nature of his injury.

Meet disingenuousness with disingenuousness. Some coaches will learn from this decision. It doesn’t pay to be truthful.

They can consult with PJ Fleck!

“A player, or players, may or may not have sustained some form of injury, and may or may not miss future games.”

Meet disingenuousness with disingenuousness. Some coaches will learn from this decision. It doesn’t pay to be truthful.
He gruesomely broke his leg didn't he? That's hard to hide.

I'm just happy Georgia didn't make it. The upside for Kirby Smart is that he'll now have enough time to join his team's street-racing events.

If it is the 4 best teams why isn’t the final four Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and Penn State?

That’s what TeamRankings says and that’s as close as anything to the Vegas odds formula

I accept I can’t possibly know and don’t know, informed by decades of fanhood and observation. My position is Alabama isn’t great this year. Ohio State might be better. I don’t know how good FSU would be with their #2 with a month of preparation. Nobody does.

Honestly, the 3rd string QB Glenn is highly rated. Given a month of prep, he would look lot different than last night. FSU would have two healthy, prepared QBs for that game. Just an overall guttless, shameful screwjob by the committee.

An SEC team must be in. It would not have mattered in the least.

If it is the 4 best teams why isn’t the final four Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and Penn State?

That’s what TeamRankings says and that’s as close as anything to the Vegas odds formula

Winners go one way and losers go the other.

Washington beat Oregon, and when you get your hat kicked...

But you would be right for a best four assessment is different.

Top Bottom