CFP predictions

They made it Fox vs ESPN this year. An original and a future Big ten team vs an original and a future SEC team.

Lots of good points from the FSU.ACC camp.

I am disgusted and infuriated with the committee's decision today to have what was earned on the field taken away because a small group of people decided they knew better than the results of the games

• What is the point of playing games?

• Do you tell players it is OK to quit if someone goes down?

• Do you not play a senior on Senior Day for fear of injury?

• Where is the motivation to schedule challenging nonconference games?

• We are not only an undefeated P5 conference champion, but we also played two P5 non-conference games away from home and won both of them. I don't understand how we are supposed to think this is an acceptable way to evaluate a team. ... What happened today goes against everything that is true and right in college football.

• Added ACC commissioner Jim Phillips: "It's unfathomable."

• The consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment are destructive, far reaching, and permanent. Not just for Florida State, but college football as a whole," FSU athletic director Michael Alford said in a statement.

• "The argument of whether a team is the 'most deserving OR best' is a false equivalence. It renders the season up to yesterday irrelevant and significantly damages the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff.

• "... The committee failed college football today."

Last edited:

put this in another thread - thought I would drop it in here for the discussion

just for fun, here is what the 12-team playoff would look like this year based on the final CFP rankings

1st round
#8 Oregon vs #9 Missouri -- winner plays #1 Michigan in quarterfinals
#5 Fla State vs #12 Oklahoma -- winner vs #4 Alabama in qtrs
#6 Georgia vs #11 Ole Miss -- winner vs #3 Texas in qtrs
#7 OSU vs #10 Penn State -- winner vs #2 Washington in qtrs

LSU is left out as the #13 team.

just for fun, here is what the 12-team playoff would look like this year based on the final CFP rankings

1st round

By ranking sec teams high, playing no one, and only beating each other they are guaranteed to get 4-5 teams in every year.

1st round

Oregon lost twice to Washington. They are not better than Washington. Out
Mizzou lost to LSU and Georgia. Why would I need to see them lose again? Out
Florida state. Hasn’t lost. They deserve to be in over Bama who lost and uses the claim they got better with time and experience for their qb, which is exactly the case for fsu who’s still undefeated
Oklahoma. Blew a horrible game vs Ok St and lost to Kansas. Why do I need to see them again?
Georgia. Lost their only premier game to Bama and played no one non conference. Beat no one contending for the field
Ole Miss. Got pounded already by Georgia and lost to Bama. I need at best the 3rd best team in the sec why?
OSU. Lost to the best team in the Big Ten. No reason they need to be in again as they lost their chance
PSU. Lost to OSU and Michigan. Why do I need the 3rd best team in the B10?

If you want to try make the argument for some of the G5 schools to be in, sure. But you’ve already seen who the best in each conference is, why do I need to see them play again in the playoffs potentially? So if Georgia beats Bama when they play again, Georgia wins the title because they’re earlier meeting was meaningless?

The 12 team format is nothing more than a money grab. Theres no reason we need the 3rd and 4th best teams in a conference in the playoff devaluing the entire regular season

The other thing is people are acting like FSU is an average team without Travis. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great player. But that have a great defense and some dynamic play makers.

By the reaction, Travis should easily win the Heisman. He’s clearly the best and most influential player in the country.

Picking FSU without the QB would create problems, all have to agree. What would be the point spread on that clunker?

Instead, Alabama for better or worse is only a 1.5 point underdog to Michigan that will Varner viewers.

Yes, if the FSU quarterback was healthy, that would be a game.
Would it? Injuries happen all the time. Plus, the backup would have been back and practiced by that point. FSU will have two good, practiced QBs. That 3rd stringer who played yesterday is highly rated. He would look much different after a month to get ready.

Oregon lost twice to Washington. They are not better than Washington. Out
Mizzou lost to LSU and Georgia. Why would I need to see them lose again? Out
Florida state. Hasn’t lost. They deserve to be in over Bama who lost and uses the claim they got better with time and experience for their qb, which is exactly the case for fsu who’s still undefeated
Oklahoma. Blew a horrible game vs Ok St and lost to Kansas. Why do I need to see them again?
Georgia. Lost their only premier game to Bama and played no one non conference. Beat no one contending for the field
Ole Miss. Got pounded already by Georgia and lost to Bama. I need at best the 3rd best team in the sec why?
OSU. Lost to the best team in the Big Ten. No reason they need to be in again as they lost their chance
PSU. Lost to OSU and Michigan. Why do I need the 3rd best team in the B10?

If you want to try make the argument for some of the G5 schools to be in, sure. But you’ve already seen who the best in each conference is, why do I need to see them play again in the playoffs potentially? So if Georgia beats Bama when they play again, Georgia wins the title because they’re earlier meeting was meaningless?

The 12 team format is nothing more than a money grab. Theres no reason we need the 3rd and 4th best teams in a conference in the playoff devaluing the entire regular season
You can make the same argument about March Madness. Why have 64 teams? As we have seen there, anything can happen in one game sudden death.

Knowing the QB will be healthy, yes. They beat the #16 team basically without a serviceable QB. Found a way to stay undefeated. That defense is lights out good.
Georgia is a double digit favorite over them

Would it? Injuries happen all the time. Plus, the backup would have been back and practiced by that point. FSU will have two good, practiced QBs. That 3rd stringer who played yesterday is highly rated. He would look much different after a month to get ready.

Yea, could be. I'm kind of playing this other side of this argument because it's kind of lopsided the other way. If the QB is healthy, they're in.

You can make the same argument about March Madness. Why have 64 teams? As we have seen there, anything can happen in one game sudden death.

FCS has 24.
Division II has 28.
Division III has 32.

All with conference autobids.
It's not unreasonable to have 16 for FBS with ALL conference champions getting an autobid.

Yea, could be. I'm kind of playing this other side of this argument because it's kind of lopsided the other way. If the QB is healthy, they're in.
I'm pretty sure Bama played different QBs this year, won all but one game.

Last edited:

FCS has 24.
Division II has 28.
Division III has 32.

All with conference autobids.
It's not unreasonable to have 16 for FBS with ALL conference champions getting an autobid.
Yep. Considering the are over 300 D1 bsketball programs.

I wonder if this is a precedent, or have they done it before?

The NCAA does not hold a post-season tournament in FBS.

They have no authority to do so, and will not ever be allowed to do so, as the sub-division is currently constructed.

The CFP Committee assumed FSU couldn't win without Travis. Dumb. That's why you play the games. If we could win off assumptions, then PA would have the Vikings Super Bowl champs every year, and Grimm would see the Gophers in the CFP.

You award CFP spots by body of work. FSU clearly belongs.

You do not subjectively guess who the 4 best teams are.

The SEC should have been left whining with no representation.

Here is what you do, FSU.

You fly to whatever bowl game they send you too. You put the pads on and warm up. You do the coin flip, then walk off the field, and head back to the hotel. Then FSU takes their players to whatever hang out is in town.......the beach, a great restaurant, etc...and have the time of your lives.

Just shove it up their ass!

The NCAA couldn't say Schit to them, while the rest of americas laughs and applauds.
This is the way.

The committee acted like FSU and Georgia were up for the last at-large bid in the NCAA basketball tournament

All the craziness of the playoff and it's as simple as who thought it was as good idea to have 4 teams with 5 Conference Champions? The same people who didn't realize that 2 teams was an issue with multiple champions. 12 gets it to where the games on the field will guarantee spots in the playoff. It took 100+ years, but they finally got it right.

The committee followed the rules and gave their opinion, the actual set up is what failed.

The CFP Committee assumed FSU couldn't win without Travis. Dumb. That's why you play the games. If we could win off assumptions, then PA would have the Vikings Super Bowl champs every year, and Grimm would see the Gophers in the CFP.

You award CFP spots by body of work. FSU clearly belongs.

You do not subjectively guess who the 4 best teams are.

The SEC should have been left whining with no representation.
I don't disagree with you but a subjective analysis of who are the best teams has always been a part of it. I wouldn't have been opposed to a black letter law stating "no undefeated P5 champion can be supplanted by a team with a loss".

Top Bottom