Week 1 Other Games Thread

Right, they were bad last year and lost a pretty good rb and Charlie Jones left to Purdue. Really no reason to think they’d be better this year.
they got destroyed on their offensive line. Linderbaum was a huge loss at center. The guy who replaced him go lit up like a Christmas tree today. I'm hoping their offensive line is terrible.

In crossovers, they go to Ohio State, and have Michigan at home. That is 2 losses right there. they won't get a gift West Championship this year.

Why can we not beat this Iowa team this year? why????
Well, answer a couple questions:
1) is our defense as good as South Dakota St's? If you think we are at least that good we will need 4 or more points to beat Iowa. Petras and his fearsome crew managed a total of three points in 60 minutes against the Jacks.

2). Do you believe our offense is better than SDST's? If so, can we score four or more points? They scored three points while featuring an open receiver being missed by the QB in what would likely have been a TD and five passes dropped.

This game also featured the worst targeting call in college history when a Jackrabbit defender hit an Iowa receiver on the shoulder pad with the side of his helmet.

Since the targeting penalty was instituted, I've seen numerous opportunities to call that on Iowa but I've never seen one called. We got something like half a dozen of them in the first year of the rule. I remember one of their players diving head first into Leidner's helmet when Lender was on his knees and it wasn't called. "No, that wasn't targeting. Kirk's boys would never do that." I think they're one of the conference leaders in causing significant injuries to opponents' skill players but nothing ever happens.
I’m not saying it’s targeting, since no one has any idea what targeting is. My point is the NCAA wants to “protect” kids playing football with the targeting rule. Yet they let hits like that one go unpunished even though it was a completely unnecessary hit and the only intention was to hurt a player. Plus they could have called taunting on the Iowa guy since he stared at him after the hit.

Well, answer a couple questions:
1) is our defense as good as South Dakota St's? If you think we are at least that good we will need 4 or more points to beat Iowa. Petras and his fearsome crew managed a total of three points in 60 minutes against the Jacks.

2). Do you believe our offense is better than SDST's? If so, can we score four or more points? They scored three points while featuring an open receiver being missed by the QB in what would likely have been a TD and five passes dropped.

This game also featured the worst targeting call in college history when a Jackrabbit defender hit an Iowa receiver on the shoulder pad with the side of his helmet.
Special teams. Iowa’s is better. Iowa is happy to get to midfield and punt 6 times a game and wait for you to make a mistake. It’s been the same script for 15 years and we don’t solve it that often.

I’m not saying it’s targeting, since no one has any idea what targeting is. My point is the NCAA wants to “protect” kids playing football with the targeting rule. Yet they let hits like that one go unpunished even though it was a completely unnecessary hit and the only intention was to hurt a player. Plus they could have called taunting on the Iowa guy since he stared at him after the hit.
then some Iowa guy took the head off a receiver by hitting him high at the end of the game. They say he hit him with his shoulder. He almost decapitated him, but no targeting.

Irving looks to be #1 or #2 on the depth chart for Oregon.
I'm glad Oregon could find some bucks reps for Bucky. Always good to see a kid get a shot when he wasn't able to get run this season at Minnesota.

Special teams. Iowa’s is better. Iowa is happy to get to midfield and punt 6 times a game and wait for you to make a mistake. It’s been the same script for 15 years and we don’t solve it that often.
We just have to finish off Iowa. 2 of the last 3 games, we've had the better play. We just can't get out of our own way against them. Tyler's drop walking into the end zone at Iowa 2 years ago will haunt for ever. We would have gone to the Rose Bowl.

Every team has a team they just can't get over the hump on. I think Iowa has been having that same problem with Purdue recently.

Bucky getting some run in the Oregon/Georgia game. Get it within the Georgia 30....and Bo Nix does what he does and throws another easy INT. Nix is horsepiss. How is it that Oregon can't do better than Auburn discards?

Still getting used to the annual QB carousel from the transfer portal. Gophers are about the only school opting out of that chase.

Bucky getting some run in the Oregon/Georgia game. Get it within the Georgia 30....and Bo Nix does what he does and throws another easy INT. Nix is horsepiss. How is it that Oregon can't do better than Auburn discards?
they are also playing Minnesota discards (or would have been 2nd-4th on the 2022 depth chart anyway)

Georgia has weapons all over the damn field. I don’t see anyone stopping them. Your going to have to outscore them.

It was a cheap shot. Looked like a forearm that was meant for the upper chest that got to the neck.

Watching Nebraska, they are athletic and they may be better, but they have to rank among the dumbest, most poorly-coached teams in the country. The guy trying to pick up the blocked punt was an absolute howler.

Also....last week wasn't a fluke. Nebraska is shitty again this year. Was hoping to see NW play for comparison sakes....but they are already on a bye. I get that since they played week zero....they would have a second break....but I'm surprised that they didn't take advantage of using that second bye later in the season. Maybe they tried and it just didn't work out.

then some Iowa guy took the head off a receiver by hitting him high at the end of the game. They say he hit him with his shoulder. He almost decapitated him, but no targeting.
That’s the play being discussed.

Top Bottom