Week 1 Other Games Thread

It makes plenty of sense. Appalachian St is a top G5 program who has spent plenty of time ranked in the top 25 of the FBS over the last 3 years. They haven't been a FCS team for a long time.

It's no different than the Gophers scheduling Georgia Southern or Fresno St.
UNC played at App St (which is located in North Carolina, and compared to UNC as an institution is like St Cloud State). That would be like the Gophers playing in Fargo or Brookings. (EDIT: if NDSU/SDSU were FBS, my bad, I meant to imply that)

Hopefully that never happens.

Last edited:

UNC played at App St (which is located in North Carolina, and compared to UNC as an institution is like St Cloud State). That would be like the Gophers playing in Fargo or Brookings.

Yeah I would agree.
If gophers best financial option is a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 with a bad opponent, would like that bad opponent far from the Midwest as possible

(Would rather play at buffalo than northern Illinois)
I would say we don’t really have a comp to this though.

It would be better for Michigan state to play at North Texas than at Western Michigan would be a better comp.

Yeah I would agree.
If gophers best financial option is a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 with a bad opponent, would like that bad opponent far from the Midwest as possible

(Would rather play at buffalo than northern Illinois)
I would say we don’t really have a comp to this though.

It would be better for Michigan state to play at North Texas than at Western Michigan would be a better comp.
I picked NDSU and SDSU because, to me, they're MAC level teams. But yes, they're not actually in the MAC ... yet. Maybe never will be. Maybe will be in the Mountain West? Or CUSA? Or who knows

I picked NDSU and SDSU because, to me, they're MAC level teams. But yes, they're not actually in the MAC ... yet. Maybe never will be. Maybe will be in the Mountain West? Or CUSA? Or who knows
They would definitely be the best comparison if they were FBS but they aren’t because no power 5 team would ever agree to a road FCS game

UNC played at App St (which is located in North Carolina, and compared to UNC as an institution is like St Cloud State). That would be like the Gophers playing in Fargo or Brookings. (EDIT: if NDSU/SDSU were FBS, my bad, I meant to imply that)

No, it’s not. NDSU and SDSU are not comparable to Appalachian St who plays at a much higher level.

NDSU and SDSU would beat App St minimum 5 out of 10 this year.

Appalachian St. was NDSU before NDSU. When they beat Michigan in 07, they won their 3rd straight FCS national championship that season. SDSU doesn't hold a candle to either program.

Since Appalachian St. moved up to FBS, they have averaged 10 wins per season, including a 13-1 season where they finished ranked 19th in the AP poll. They are 3 steps ahead of NDSU as a program.

Appalachian St. was NDSU before NDSU. When they beat Michigan in 07, they won their 3rd straight FCS national championship that season. SDSU doesn't hold a candle to either program.

Since Appalachian St. moved up to FBS, they have averaged 10 wins per season, including a 13-1 season where they finished ranked 19th in the AP poll. They are 3 steps ahead of NDSU as a program.
App St was a great FCS program and is a solid G5 program, for as much as the Sun Belt can realistically be that.

They did win three in a row. And now NDSU has won like 8 out of the last 9? Or something crazy like that. The division is depleted. Lot of teams that would have a chance to beat them have left for FBS in the last 10 or so years.

I stand by my opinion, which is really just a wild guess.

NDSU wouldn’t have nearly as many national title if app state, Georgia southern, and western Kentucky didn’t opt up

NDSU wouldn’t have nearly as many national title if app state, Georgia southern, and western Kentucky didn’t opt up
Maybe

JMU was equivalent of those programs and could only stop the Bison once. NDSU did beat Georgia Southern, as well, in the FCS playoffs.

Assuming that we don't see them step on the gas....can't imagine that the voters roll Clemson back out as the #4 team next week. Their offense looks absolutely terrible. Got a touchdown on 4th down because they blocked a punt and got in to the five. But Clemson has 50 whole yards with about 6 minutes remaining in the half. Not good.

Maybe

JMU was equivalent of those programs and could only stop the Bison once. NDSU did beat Georgia Southern, as well, in the FCS playoffs.
App state had a three peat going when they went up.

The ejection is stupid.
A lot of these hit are clearly accidental.

Should be a 15 yard penalty for “targeting”
15 yard penalty and ejection for flagrant cheap shot targeting
Yep. Just like flagrant 1 & 2 in basketball.

Chris Weinke is the QB coach at GT.

I’m not going to be able to watch Clemson games on espn this year. It is like they’re trying to break a record for trying to say a guys last name the most ever times in a single broadcast

Tebow like

Top Bottom