Week 1 Other Games Thread

Flying Dutchmen of Iowa coming off a collapse in their bowl game looking very beatable and very pedestrian on offense. Saving the three page playbook for BIG TEN play.

Do we want Iowa to lose?

On one hand :ROFLMAO: :LOL:😂

On the other, it doesn't really do anything good for the Gophers. It damages the rep of the West, damages our schedule and the Quadrangle, and doesn't help us all in the conference standings. It would be sign of a weak Iowa, but wouldn't make it any easier or harder to free Floyd in November.

No idea what you are saying. Running into the kicker is an unintentional act

Jumping and crushing the punters plant leg is the definition of roughing the kicker

Only way that isn’t roughing the kicker is if they say the cut block is what caused him to hit the punter, but in that case…blocked into him…it is neither

Edit: you may have been agreeing with me in which case never mind LOL

I think I was. …LOL. No worries fun game!

Do we want Iowa to lose?

On the other, it doesn't really do anything good for the Gophers. It damages the rep of the West, damages our schedule and the Quadrangle, and doesn't help us all in the conference standings. It would be sign of a weak Iowa, but wouldn't make it any easier or harder to free Floyd in November.
We want Iowa to lose to the big ten east
We want Iowa to lose to the big ten west
We want Iowa to lose to everyone

Except for Wisconsin in years when they have a worse record than Wisconsin

10 players from Iowa are on the SDSU roster. One from Iowa City.

Never say that when you have the under.

After the first few minutes of the game....this bet looked safe. This is as close to a 'never' situation as it gets.

Also....does Rutgers have a kicking issue? Missed XP on their first TD and then went for it on the second.

Do we want Iowa to lose?

Yes....Iowa is a team that we should always want to lose.....along with Wisconsin. Any opportunity for these programs to lose a step is a positive for the Gophers.

This game is why the dakotas can beat a big ten team. They’re good

This is also why they couldn’t compete in the big ten.
Half their roster would be broken by week 5 and then they wouldn’t be good anymore

Even NDSU wouldn’t have the depth to hang a whole season.

Yes....Iowa is a team that we should always want to lose.....along with Wisconsin. Any opportunity for these programs to lose a step is a positive for the Gophers.
I agree. It’s better for recruiting if they are down and we are up.

I suppose losing to South Dakota State does their recruiting no favors

South Dakota's running back made a huge error there. He had a bit of crease straight downhill. Could have picked up two or three yards to provide a bit of a cushion. Instead he tried to break outside. Just a big mistake for a team that can't afford it.

South Dakota's running back made a huge error there. He had a bit of crease straight downhill. Could have picked up two or three yards to provide a bit of a cushion. Instead he tried to break outside. Just a big mistake for a team that can't afford it.
Probably not great to line up shotgun either.

Arland Bruce IV. He's the son of former Gopher Arland Bruce. I thought that name sounded familiar.

Probably not great to line up shotgun either.

Some teams don't even practice lining up under center....which could be a reason why we didn't see it.

Also....I'm feeling more and more confident watching this Iowa/SD State game. Iowa's offense is downright bad. They have almost no playmakers. In the recent past....they've at LEAST had a good running game with Goodsen/Sargant/Wadley. The Williams guy that is their starting RB right now runs straight forward and that's basically it. Unless they have some big changes....I would be surprised if Iowa is even contending for a West title at the end of the year.

Some teams don't even practice lining up under center....which could be a reason why we didn't see it.

Also....I'm feeling more and more confident watching this Iowa/SD State game. Iowa's offense is downright bad. They have almost no playmakers. In the recent past....they've at LEAST had a good running game with Goodsen/Sargant/Wadley. The Williams guy that is their starting RB right now runs straight forward and that's basically it. Unless they have some big changes....I would be surprised if Iowa is even contending for a West title at the end of the year.
As much as I hope you are right I always try not to read too much into game 1 (or even game 2). Look at our 2019 season.

Bruce seems like a player that would play here. No classic Iowa tight end either to bail out the offense.

As much as I hope you are right I always try not to read too much into game 1 (or even game 2). Look at our 2019 season.
This team has no Goodson/Sargant. No Smith Marsette, and Petras/Padilla can't hold a candle to Nate Stanley (who wasn't even that good)

This team has no Goodson/Sargant. No Smith Marsette, and Petras/Padilla can't hold a candle to Nate Stanley (who wasn't even that good)
Hope you are right but they may figure something out.

Brutal targeting call. Side of helmet hits Iowa players arm and it's targeting???
The automatic ejection part continues to be the dumbest rule in college football. In this case it was very questionable if it was targeting and is probably called differently by different officials. The 15 yard penalty can be overcome but potentially trying to replace one of your best players is much more difficult.

Questionable calls shouldn’t have that kind of impact.

If Iowa still has their injuries i wouldn’t be surprised to see the cyclones beat them

Mertz is bad but Petras may be the worst P5 qb, no?

Top Bottom