THE GOPHERS ARE NO LONGER RANKED/RECEIVING VOTES IN THE AP POLL

Gophers Ranked in Top 25 at some point this season?

• Yes

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Insane Question

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Iowa got us some votes, MSU will get us more votes, beat down Bucky on the road December 31st and that will get us a lot of votes. Next step down Ohio State at home on January 3rd and we are in the top ten. Keep the aggressive defensive play up and make it happen.
If we beat both Wisconsin and Ohio State this week, we will be rated in the top 10, probably top 5, most likely we would be rated #3 behind Gonzaga and Baylor, depending on what Kansas does.

While I think we deserve to be ranked at #11 and if we have wins against WI and OSU we should be ranked top 5. I do not think the national media will see it that way unless we win convincingly. They will justify the Iowa win as being "lucky" from 3 point land. They will see the MSU win as beating a team at the right time. We will only get ranked as top #5 if our wins are convincing and even then I doubt the AP and Coaches will put us there.

Let's be honest. MN was not a top 25 team until they beat St. Louis. I have to admit our team actually looks coached for once. People are passing, plays are being run and team defense is being played (not perfectly, but collectively great for this time of year and the amount of new players on the team). We are also doing this with our #2 option in the non-conference in a slump.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see our team against MSU play like they were the better team in the second half. How many time last year did we have the lead and go into a 3 person weave at the top until there was on 5 on the shot clock and then take a terrible shot. This demonstrated a lack of confidence in our team and also a lack of understanding of who our team was. This time we did not rush things (for the most part) but remained aggressive in looking for the open man.

Hope then good coaching and/or players being bought in continues. Whatever has happen, this team if fun to watch and has the skill to be elite.

Last edited:

#16 - Top 10, Here We Come!!

I feel that we'll spend more time ranked in the Top 25 this season after our initial ranking than out of it.

Last edited:

NET ranking is a joke. We are #43. Take a look at some of the teams ahead of us. Hopefully this sorts itself out by season's end.

It’ll get better.

but the weight of SOS is arbitrary

the smaller the sample size the more stupid efficiency used as a rating is. So it’ll get better but....

Two teams play the same schedule:
1 team (A) is 1-9.
Loses 9 games by 1 point and wins one game by 50

other team (B)
8-2
wins 8 games by an average of 3
Loses two games by 31 and 27

Efficiency ratings would have team A rated higher.

then the SOS metric comes into play. Because now 9 teams have a more quality win against team A than 2 teams have against team B.

The ranking being so heavily based on efficiency and not W/L feeds on itself once you factor in SOS

It’ll get better.

but the weight of SOS is arbitrary

the smaller the sample size the more stupid efficiency used as a rating is. So it’ll get better but....

Two teams play the same schedule:
1 team (A) is 1-9.
Loses 9 games by 1 point and wins one game by 50

other team (B)
8-2
wins 8 games by an average of 3
Loses two games by 31 and 27

Efficiency ratings would have team A rated higher.

then the SOS metric comes into play. Because now 9 teams have a more quality win against team A than 2 teams have against team B.

The ranking being so heavily based on efficiency and not W/L feeds on itself once you factor in SOS

28. Ohio State
32. Maryland
42. Penn State
43. Minnesota

This can make sense to no one. If it is due to efficiency, perhaps efficiency is given too much weight.

28. Ohio State
32. Maryland
42. Penn State
43. Minnesota

This can make sense to no one. If it is due to efficiency, perhaps efficiency is given too much weight.
It’s some combo of efficiency and SOS

Any measure of SOS is arbitrary because it uses its own efficiency ratings to weight SOS and then factors in SOS into the ratings at some percentage formulated by whoever invented the metric.

the metric is exactly as good as the person who made it.
If someone else used all the same data but weighted different things slightly differently the whole ranking would be different.

If we just keep winning then everything will end p taking care of itse
28. Ohio State
32. Maryland
42. Penn State
43. Minnesota

Do the above ratings include the OSU win?

Thanks - so maybe if we just keep winning it'll be more reflective of the "Real World."

That is the hope i guess. Would think it would be best to not release NET until later in the season if it is like this early on.

Time to get our stuff together this week and beat #7 MI @ home on Saturday.

#23 seems about right for this team.

Per lunardi, our four losses have been on the road to top ten teams:

Interesting that he has Illinois at 7 with 4 losses.

I know you are doubtful about Pitino and I am an irrational optimistic fan, so we balance each other somewhat. :)

If we win on Saturday and get back on track, our schedule moderates and we can get some decent road wins down the road? Or am I completely nutz?

I think winning on the road against elite teams is one of the hardest things to do in any sport, FWIW.

I know you are doubtful about Pitino and I am an irrational optimistic fan, so we balance each other somewhat. :)

If we win on Saturday and get back on track, our schedule moderates and we can get some decent road wins down the road? Or am I completely nutz?

I think winning on the road against elite teams is one of the hardest things to do in any sport, FWIW.
Your not crazy. The back half of the schedule sets up very well for a 13-7 type finish.

Your not crazy. The back half of the schedule sets up very well for a 13-7 type finish.

Where do you think that places us in the ranking this year?

My litmus for keeping him is Top 4 in the B10 & Sweet 16; Elite 8 is an automatic keep.

Txs.

Top 4 or sweet 16 is a auto keep. We are in good position for 4th or 5th because of the 2nd half schedule. Plus we do not have the money to move on during a covid revenue year.

Top 4 or sweet 16 is a auto keep. We are in good position for 4th or 5th because of the 2nd half schedule. Plus we do not have the money to move on during a covid revenue year.

Txs.

If it doesn't happen this year, then Coyle needs to find a basketball Fleck

Last edited:

Responding to the topic, haven’t read all of the posts.

It is the SEC syndrome, if you are ranked and only play ranked teams you stay ranked.

Responding to the topic, haven’t read all of the posts.

It is the SEC syndrome, if you are ranked and only play ranked teams you stay ranked.

Okay and how many ranked teams have we beat this year?

I count 4 wins against teams ranked at any point (OSU, Iowa, MSU, SLU). 3 wins against teams currently ranked, 3 against teams ranked at the time of matchup. MSU since fallen from rankings, SLU now in rankings.

Lunardi just updated:
2. Michigan
2. Iowa
3. Illinois
3. Wisconsin
5. Minnesota
5. Ohio State
7. Rutgers
9. Indiana
10. MSU
11. Purdue

By this measure gophs tied for 5th in big ten with a team they easily defeated. Sweet.

Last edited:

I know some old school people hate Coyle but I think I trust Coyle more than any AD I’ve seen at the U of M to do the right thing when it comes to head coaches

I like him and he is vastly superior to the plethora of ADs we had to him previously.

I have faith in him and trust him. He may not be the best communicator, however, we all have our weak areas - part of beinG human in my experience.

Last edited:

Top Bottom