THE GOPHERS ARE NO LONGER RANKED/RECEIVING VOTES IN THE AP POLL

Gophers Ranked in Top 25 at some point this season?

• Yes

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Insane Question

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

How can ohio state be rated ahead of us? I know they have road wins over illinois and rutgers, but their best home wins are rutgers and NW. Plus we hammered them head to head.
Roughly 7 voters had St. Louis ranked and Minnesota unranked on their individual ballots when I was looking... that’s even more head scratching in my opinion...

Doug Doughty has SLU at #12 and Gophers unranked... I mean I don’t see how one could possibly come up with that on their ballot?!

My guess is that some of these guys are homers and some of these voters don't pay a lot of attention out of their basketball universe.

My guess is that some of these guys are homers and some of these voters don't pay a lot of attention out of their basketball universe.

I looked back and he had SLU at 23 last week... after not playing in 2-3 weeks he moved them up to 12 this week! 😂😂😂

I tried to look this up but my searching has been in vain thus far, and i'm sure someone here probably has some idea: What is the longest duration of time that the Gophers have been ranked, in the last 30 or so years?

Seems to me historically they've tended to get ranked and then tank a game or two right away with the pressure or unfortunate matchup. This already feels like one of the longest streaks i can remember.

#17. That is great. Also one of the most telling things, IMO, is that Michigan didn't lose any ground after getting pasted on Saturday. That says as much about what people think about the Gophers than anything IMO.

We comin...

Michigan also plastered Wisconsin earlier in the week though. So it doesn't surprise me that they didn't drop. It was their first loss of the season.

I tried to look this up but my searching has been in vain thus far, and i'm sure someone here probably has some idea: What is the longest duration of time that the Gophers have been ranked, in the last 30 or so years?

Seems to me historically they've tended to get ranked and then tank a game or two right away with the pressure or unfortunate matchup. This already feels like one of the longest streaks i can remember.

Great minds think a like. This was rattling around my mind this afternoon too.

Maybe email Marcus? He should be able to find out from the SID or someone else in the athletic department and get an article out of it too!

Great minds think a like. This was rattling around my mind this afternoon too.

Maybe email Marcus? He should be able to find out from the SID or someone else in the athletic department and get an article out of it too!

Per Marcus' reply:

"Not sure about 30 years. But they were ranked for the first month of the season in 2017-18 and from late November until early February in 2012-13 Tubby’s last season. Hope it helps. Thanks for reading."

Knowing that, I was able to look it up and see that 2017-2018 season they were ranked for 5 consecutive weeks and in 2012-13 it was 11 weeks.

Gophers will be at 5 weeks when the next poll releases.

Last edited:

Roughly 7 voters had St. Louis ranked and Minnesota unranked on their individual ballots when I was looking... that’s even more head scratching in my opinion...
We have 4 wins against the top 15 teams and all 4 losses are to ranked teams. How TF can you have us unranked?

1996-1997 unless you're one of those guys. We were ranked from very early in the season onward.

How can ohio state be rated ahead of us? I know they have road wins over illinois and rutgers, but their best home wins are rutgers and NW. Plus we hammered them head to head.

Coach's poll has us ahead of Ohio State. Universe makes sense again.

Per Marcus' reply:

"Not sure about 30 years. But they were ranked for the first month of the season in 2017-18 and from late November until early February in 2012-13 Tubby’s last season. Hope it helps. Thanks for reading."

Knowing that, I was able to look it up and see that 2017-2018 season they were ranked for 5 consecutive weeks and in 2012-13 it was 11 weeks.

Gophers will be at 5 weeks when the next poll releases.

Cool - he got back to you that quick? LOL

I love the enthusiasm that board is starting to generate and even thought the games can't be viewed in person, it doesn't mean we can't still cheer and celebrate them on here.

Keep up the Good Work!!

Last edited:

If they win their next 2 games vs Maryland and @ Purdue, they may be in the 10 range. Would be fun.
13-4 doesn't seem like a top 10 record but if Michigan and Iowa keep winning and a few other teams lose then maybe we could be over-ranked.

13-4 doesn't seem like a top 10 record but if Michigan and Iowa keep winning and a few other teams lose then maybe we could be over-ranked.

13-4 with wins against 4 teams ranked (#4, 7, 15, 25) in the current top 25 is different than 13-4, but I get what you mean.

Purdue is receiving votes and may be ranked by that time. Maryland isn't great.

Cannot really underestiamte any team in the Big10 this year. Except the Nebraska folks.....

4 teams ranked ahead of us have lost this week. Doubt we catch Tennessee and Kansas lost to #2 Baylor so they won't be penalized much. If we win Saturday we should move up a few spots although Alabama could leap us with their blow out of LSU.

Don't underestimate Maryland. They won at Kohl.
I mean it doesn't matter if I underestimate them because I don't have any impact on the game.

They aren't great. I didn't say it was a guaranteed win. I do like that its at home.

Top Bottom