THE GOPHERS ARE NO LONGER RANKED/RECEIVING VOTES IN THE AP POLL

Gophers Ranked in Top 25 at some point this season?

• Yes

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Insane Question

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I like this team, but we will likely be facing an uphill battle after the first nine games of big ten, even if we do hold our own.

I don’t think I heard ESPN talk once about the BC game during any other big ten/ACC broadcast, if that gives you a sense of where we are perceived to be.

I like this team, but we will likely be facing an uphill battle after the first nine games of big ten, even if we do hold our own.

I don’t think I heard ESPN talk once about the BC game during any other big ten/ACC broadcast, if that gives you a sense of where we are perceived to be.

Great point! Media expectations mean so much and right now, except for someone like Steven Bardo who has seen the Gophers on multiple occasions, this is a team with very low media expectations.

But, that's the way it goes when you have an inconsistent program that's moderately successful in some years but unsuccessful in just as many years. You'll never get many media votes coming off a down year until you show a really good level of success over a large enough sample of games that includes quality wins. For example, Pitino's best season (2016-17) followed a singularly awful year and the Gophers were not ranked until January 9th after they accumulated a 15-2 record. They promptly lost five straight games and were not ranked again despite finishing the regular season with a 23-8 record. Two years ago, coming off another bad season, the Gophers weren't ranked at all during the year despite starting 12-2 with a 6-2 record against power conference teams.

Need to beat Illiniois this tuesday, BC just got handled by Syracuse

Need to beat Illiniois this tuesday, BC just got handled by Syracuse

You might be right but Illinois' stature might have dropped a bit after losing to unranked Missouri on Saturday night and picking up their second loss. Watching that game I would say that Illinois has some great talent but is beatable because they do make their fare share of mistakes. Missouri also out-rebounded them significantly. Dosunmu is one of the most talented players in the conference but he may dominate the ball a bit too much.

Anyone else look at the schedule for the next couple weeks or so and gasp? Yikes. I didnt pay much attention - sort of superstitiously avoided noting the schedule, simply entering "BB" on all the game days. Unless Coach K prevails, we have some intense contests thru December and into January.

First two scenarios that come to mind:
1. Win the next two games on the schedule
2. Win the last 8,9,10 games in a row on the schedule.

They only have to win at a .500 clip and upset one of the big dogs in the conference. Say Iowa or MSU and they would get votes.

Saw Andy Katz put the gophers at 36 in his power 36 this week. Obviously, it’s not top 25 and it’s just one guys rankings, but it’s good to see that people at least see the gophers as a solid team with a chance to break into that upper tier. Also noticed that when talking about his ballot from this week, Seth Davis mentioned the gophers as a team that could be ranked next week if they have a good week this week.

it all comes down to this:

protect the home court. Gophers have dropped too many winnable games at home the last few years.

In a year where the Conference is very strong, the Gophers cannot afford to lose home games. If they can win most of the home games, and snatch a win or two on the road, they could potentially be ranked.

But, if the Gophers drop a few home games, and don't grab any - or many- road wins, no way they crack the ratings.

Margin of victory/loss will also matter. Getting blown out never helps the perception game.

protect the home court. Gophers have dropped too many winnable games at home the last few years.

In a year where the Conference is very strong, the Gophers cannot afford to lose home games. If they can win most of the home games, and snatch a win or two on the road, they could potentially be ranked.

But, if the Gophers drop a few home games, and don't grab any - or many- road wins, no way they crack the ratings.

Margin of victory/loss will also matter. Getting blown out never helps the perception game.
The Barn loses it's power without fans...

With no fans in the stands, hard to say how much impact home court even has this year. Obviously still makes some difference by default, but much of the normal luster is definitely lost.

Will home wins mean less without fans at home? Will road wins mean less? It's significantly easier to win on the road now.

Win the next 2 and they will be ranked for certain.

Go 1-1 and nope.

I wonder, with no fans odes the raised court and empty front row seats look even more intimidating? Those baselines are pretty wide but it is weird looking down at the chasm off the edge of the court. It was weird to play in there when there were no fans in the stands. At least the bodies made it seem like there was some depth, or a cheerleader to softly land on.

But the noise factor is definitely gone. But it's not like they have been selling out as of late.

Every game is a neutral site game.

Every game is a neutral site game this year.

Got 1 vote! On our way.

You have to look at it as an incredible opportunity to make a statement early in the year rather than be afraid of you schedule.

I thinking this team mirrors football's success last year when we won some close games early against inferior competition but kept on improving until the BigTen season started. Might be wrong but i think we go 3 and 3 in next six games and then take off! Fingers crossed!

I thinking this team mirrors football's success last year when we won some close games early against inferior competition but kept on improving until the BigTen season started. Might be wrong but i think we go 3 and 3 in next six games and then take off! Fingers crossed!
Thought the exact same thing. Sometimes the difference between a good season and a special season is a few bounces in games that don’t seem that important, but you find a way to win and at the end of the season it makes a big deal

Even with fans we are not among the elite when it comes to comparing to other teams home records. We have never ripped of 45 of 50 at home like others have. At times we defended home court pretty damn well and yes the Barn when it is full has been better to us but more often then not, it is really related to how good a team is period. I think we will be ranked and beating Illinois could be enough to get there. I am in the minority in that i do not see that large a gap this year in college basketball.

i understand there are no fans - but, I still believe that people voting in the polls will penalize teams that lose home games.

part of home-court advantage is that you don't have to travel. sleep in your own bed, etc. while the other team has to fly and stay in a hotel.

and, fans or not, you are "supposed" to win your home games.

i understand there are no fans - but, I still believe that people voting in the polls will penalize teams that lose home games.

part of home-court advantage is that you don't have to travel. sleep in your own bed, etc. while the other team has to fly and stay in a hotel.

and, fans or not, you are "supposed" to win your home games.
And shoot on very familiar baskets, lighting, choice of basketball.

Ranked? Does ESPN have a "Bottom Ten" feature for College Basketball?

That would give us a better chance.

Ranked? Does ESPN have a "Bottom Ten" feature for College Basketball?

That would give us a better chance.
Statement doesn't apply yet. Give it about 3 weeks and we can revisit though.

Top Bottom