THE GOPHERS ARE NO LONGER RANKED/RECEIVING VOTES IN THE AP POLL

Gophers Ranked in Top 25 at some point this season?

• Yes

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Insane Question

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gophers are ranked 15th in ESPN's power rankings this week with Marcus Carr recognized as the player of the week.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ower-rankings-sorting-wild-surprising-big-ten

Welcome to the Rankings, Minnesota! The Golden Gophers were dominated by Illinois on Dec. 15, lending credence to the idea that their 6-0 start wasn't all that impressive. But they've followed that up with a home win over a good Saint Louis team and the overtime victory against Iowa. This team is a potential NCAA tournament team, and those two wins will hold value all season. That will be put to the test over the next six games, though: vs. Michigan State, at Wisconsin, vs. Ohio State, at Michigan, at Iowa and vs. Michigan. The Gophers might be underdogs in all six games, but if Marcus Carr keeps playing out of his mind and Brandon Johnson builds off his Iowa performance, grabbing a few more key wins could be in the cards.

Lunardi's Bracketology still has the Gophers outside the field of 68!

Glad to see you all have them ranked! Lol

Nice try, Grinch - Who Tried to Steal Our Top 25 Ranking.

Last edited:

Gophers are ranked 15th in ESPN's power rankings this week with Marcus Carr recognized as the player of the week.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ower-rankings-sorting-wild-surprising-big-ten

Welcome to the Rankings, Minnesota! The Golden Gophers were dominated by Illinois on Dec. 15, lending credence to the idea that their 6-0 start wasn't all that impressive. But they've followed that up with a home win over a good Saint Louis team and the overtime victory against Iowa. This team is a potential NCAA tournament team, and those two wins will hold value all season. That will be put to the test over the next six games, though: vs. Michigan State, at Wisconsin, vs. Ohio State, at Michigan, at Iowa and vs. Michigan. The Gophers might be underdogs in all six games, but if Marcus Carr keeps playing out of his mind and Brandon Johnson builds off his Iowa performance, grabbing a few more key wins could be in the cards.
Continue posting the insider Gopher posts please!!!!

Continue posting the insider Gopher posts please!!!!
Ya, the number of things ESPN has put behind the paywall has just made it even less likely I ever paid to read something on their site

I have to be cold-blooded honest: Gophers are overrated, and Iowa and Illinois are underrated.

This feels like one of those times where in the back of my mind i think 'Can these guys just maybe go on a crazy run with this confidence?" and then they throw up a couple shitters against underwhelming teams.

The difference being (besides Marcus Carr) that Gophers don't HAVE any underwhelming games coming anytime soon so maybe..... i shouldn't get too far ahead of myself and see what happens tonight.

;)

Who has Whisky beaten? Louisville, MSU and a bunch of nothing. They will get theirs eventually.

MSU has already gotten bitch slapped by Northwestern. Their ranking is held up by their past just like Kentucky stayed in the top 25 wayyyy longer than they deserved.

It's tough to pick a decent top ten right now in the COVID environment without a complete non-conference schedule. Ask me in a few more weeks when it might be a little clearer who is the cream and who is not.

I have to be cold-blooded honest: Gophers are overrated, and Iowa and Illinois are underrated.

Maybe in the long run. But based on results thus far....the Gophers absolutely deserve top 25.

Really can't much disagree with the rankings as they currently stand.....except for Duke at #20. Please.....

I'm an optimist and my answer is Yes.

I think we go 2-2 in B10 games in December and surprise many.

Feels good to be able to change the title of the thread and I thought after the Illini game, I might have stepped in it beyond redemption. So thanks everyone for not hanging me from my thumbs after that and letting December play out.

For those who voted "Yes" after the Iowa game, welcome - I can understand your initial skepticism.

For those who said it was an insane question - jump on this fan wagon has plenty of seats!!

A fellow NYer can best illustrate this thread and my general mental state most of the time, IMO -

Last edited:

Does anyone know when the first Net rankings come out? Seems like they aren't super important, but still would be interesting to see.

Greg Gard BADGER protection program in full swing!!!
Greg does not need protection. He has that Big 10 title and a very impressive conference record, plus quite the national respect among coaches. Stalking early i see.

Does anyone know when the first Net rankings come out? Seems like they aren't super important, but still would be interesting to see.
Net rankings are awful, but I can tell you St Louis would be rated higher than Minnesota right now.

Top Bottom