Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

I'm curious why so many feel so confident that Holmgren won't commit here. I get it in the broader sense (elite recruits rarely sign here), but why him specifically? His dad is a basketball alum and his mom works for what is basically a U of M subsidiary. (I know his mom a little and used to work with her - she is maroon and gold through-and-through.) Is it all the talk about him following Suggs to Gonzaga? That seems like it has no basis and is just something people are saying - if Suggs even ends up going to Gonzaga, they'd never play there together.
Chet went unranked from #4 or #2 in the country depending which site you look at. I'd imagine Gophers were a real impossibility, but I'd rank Duke, Gonzaga, then Mn. Just waiting on that Duke offer and he's gone.

Chet went unranked from #4 or #2 in the country depending which site you look at. I'd imagine Gophers were a real impossibility, but I'd rank Duke, Gonzaga, then Mn. Just waiting on that Duke offer and he's gone.
Where's the duke talk coming from?

Do you have any basis for this, or is it something you made up? "He's highly ranked" is not a reason he won't sign here.

Do you have any basis for this, or is it something you made up? "He's highly ranked" is not a reason he won't sign here.
I've seen several people say staying close to home could be very important to him, and that they think the Gophers have a better chance of getting him than most of the other highly ranked local recruits.

Rumor has it he told Curry at his UA camp that he will go to Duke. This is all specualtion, I would love if he stayed home. Why not just commit to the Gophers then as a Sophomore? Went from unranked to ranked meaning more and "better" offers.

I've seen several people say staying close to home could be very important to him, and that they think the Gophers have a better chance of getting him than most of the other highly ranked local recruits.
I’d love for this to be true, but the same was said about Matt Hurt, Suggs, and Garcia early on. Hurt and Suggs probably wasn’t really true. Garcia I think actually did consider coming here. Maybe he will actually watch how Hurt is not achieving instant stardom at Puke while Oturu is rocketing up the draft rankings.

I’d love for this to be true, but the same was said about Matt Hurt, Suggs, and Garcia early on. Hurt and Suggs probably wasn’t really true. Garcia I think actually did consider coming here. Maybe he will actually watch how Hurt is not achieving instant stardom at Puke while Oturu is rocketing up the draft rankings.

Hurt will still be a one and done, he's shooting 52% and 43% from three.

Hurt will still be a one and done, he's shooting 52% and 43% from three.
I don't think that's very likely. From what I have seen of them (admittedly, I have not watched them much in recent weeks), he spends most of his time standing outside the 3-point line waiting for someone to feed him the ball for an open shot. If he possesses more skills, he is not on a team that showcases them.

If I was involved with an NBA team, I would not draft him, as there are plenty of other more versatile players that have demonstrated an ability to also play defense, rebound, drive to the basket, and set up their teammates for good shooting opportunities.

I don't think that's very likely. From what I have seen of them (admittedly, I have not watched them much in recent weeks), he spends most of his time standing outside the 3-point line waiting for someone to feed him the ball for an open shot. If he possesses more skills, he is not on a team that showcases them.

If I was involved with an NBA team, I would not draft him, as there are plenty of other more versatile players that have demonstrated an ability to also play defense, rebound, drive to the basket, and set up their teammates for good shooting opportunities.
I don't think I've seen him in any mock draft. He could still leave after the year is over but I'm not sure he gets drafted.
He pretty much has to leave because of the recruiting class coming in. Same situation as Gary Trent Jr. I wouldn't draft him either, basically the next TJ Leaf

I'm curious why so many feel so confident that Holmgren won't commit here. I get it in the broader sense (elite recruits rarely sign here), but why him specifically? His dad is a basketball alum and his mom works for what is basically a U of M subsidiary. (I know his mom a little and used to work with her - she is maroon and gold through-and-through.) Is it all the talk about him following Suggs to Gonzaga? That seems like it has no basis and is just something people are saying - if Suggs even ends up going to Gonzaga, they'd never play there together.
He wont come to MN because we have a mediocre program, headed by a poor coach, with no real hope of getting much better.

He's like most top local recruits...why stay home and play for Pitino?

He wont come to MN because we have a mediocre program, headed by a poor coach, with no real hope of getting much better.

If staying home is his overwhelming priority then he will play here.

My cousin is tight with his sister. My aunt, uncle, and grandparents have known Chet since he was a little kid. According to my grandparents....his parents are very invested in the UofM. Hopefully that helps influence his decision.

My cousin is tight with his sister. My aunt, uncle, and grandparents have known Chet since he was a little kid. According to my grandparents....his parents are very invested in the UofM. Hopefully that helps influence his decision.
Yeah his Dad played basketball here and obviously supports Gopher athletics, can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious

The main hope (for me at least) has always been that some of the kids of former players here will stick around and help build the program, holmgren would be a great signing and hopefully he actually listens to his parents over suggs lol

Yeah its too bad Pitino didnt have a couple of big men that had good success here, got better, made it to the tourney, broke big ten rebounding records, and/or were projected top 10 pics in the 2020 NBA draft.

Yeah.... a track record like that would come in mighty handy.

I think the real question is why stay home and play for fans like USAF?

Yeah its too bad Pitino didnt have a couple of big men that had good success here, got better, made it to the tourney, broke big ten rebounding records, and/or were projected top 10 pics in the 2020 NBA draft.

What's his track record of successfully keeping top MN recruits home? B1G track record? NCAA tournament track record?

And what will his record be next year IF he loses Oturu?

Pitino seems like a decent fellow. If that's your Gopher BKB coach criteria, great. If you want to see the program grow, return The Barn to glory, keep most of the top local recruits home, or hope for B1G or Tourney success, you're not getting there with Pitino. He's not a good enough coach.

Chet's playstyle is nothing like those two

What's his track record of successfully keeping top MN recruits home? B1G track record? NCAA tournament track record?

Pitino seems like a decent fellow. If that's your Gopher BKB coach criteria, great. If you want to see the program grow, return The Barn to glory, keep most of the top local recruits home, or hope for B1G or Tourney success, you're not getting there with Pitino. He's not a good enough coach.

I agree, but who would you have in mind to coach instead of Pitino?

I'll leave that to the AD. He seems to have done all right hiring coaches so far.
Good call. The AD will be supporting him through the season and sticking with Pitino if the season finishes well. If not, he will likely move on. That is good timing for Gopher fans as well, versus the hand wringing, fire the coach threads after each loss.

Good call. The AD will be supporting him through the season and sticking with Pitino if the season finishes well. If not, he will likely move on. That is good timing for Gopher fans as well, versus the hand wringing, fire the coach threads after each loss.
I hope the AD has already made the decision to move on from Pitino, no matter if the season "finishes well."

In fact, I hope he already has a candidate or two just about on board.

I hope the AD has already made the decision to move on from Pitino, no matter if the season "finishes well."

In fact, I hope he already has a candidate or two just about on board.

Holy unprofessional...

The MN argument is been overdone. Get the best players you can get. We are MN Gopher fans not MSHSL fans. Here are your other answers

45-75 Big Ten Record
1-2 in NCAA tournaments
[/QUOTE]

None of us can see the future, but depending on who else is recruited, the team next year will be good too. Most thought that we wouldn't win 5 games this year in the big ten or 10 all season. This staff teaches better with Jeter around. They defend better as well. I wouldn't panic as other teams will lose guys too.

BKB??? never seen that one before. What glory has the barn seen? Not to be a negative, but we haven't had much glory at all. The years of "glory" we've had have been mirrored with scandals. I'm not 100% sold on Pitino as I would be a Beard or some others, but I see him getting better and developing and I see some stability with this roster the next 3 years. Just my 2 cents.

The MN argument is been overdone. Get the best players you can get. We are MN Gopher fans not MSHSL fans. Here are your other answers

45-75 Big Ten Record
1-2 in NCAA tournaments

None of us can see the future, but depending on who else is recruited, the team next year will be good too. Most thought that we wouldn't win 5 games this year in the big ten or 10 all season. This staff teaches better with Jeter around. They defend better as well. I wouldn't panic as other teams will lose guys too.

BKB??? never seen that one before. What glory has the barn seen? Not to be a negative, but we haven't had much glory at all. The years of "glory" we've had have been mirrored with scandals. I'm not 100% sold on Pitino as I would be a Beard or some others, but I see him getting better and developing and I see some stability with this roster the next 3 years. Just my 2 cents.
[/QUOTE]

1. I'd argue the "MN argument" as been underdone. There is high end talent available in-state. Without it, the Gophers path to national relevance is way, way tougher. If Pitino can't convince most local 4 or 5 star kids to attend the UofM, what makes you think he can routinely get non local ones?

And make no mistake, there are reasons local kids don't stay home. None of them good. Relevant to a thread about a local 5 star "crapping" on Pitino.

2. LOL. C'mon. "depending on who is recruited"?? "Good too"?? You're using "most thought we wouldn't win 5 games this year in the big ten" as a defense of Pitino??? Jeebus, man. Your goals for this program must be different than mine. I'd like to see a ******* above .500 B1G record once in a while, FFS.

3. Seriously?? The Barn used to be nationally known as a tough place to play. Sold out. Enthusiastic crowds. They can't sell out for conference game against MSU now.

Move on already. Ain't happening with Pitino. It's been long enough. Too long.

I also think he'd like the development of Oturo as well.
I think Pitino did a great job with Mo Walker too who is still playing pro ball in Europe...I don't think he was even headed to be a starter when Pitino took over.

45-75 Big Ten Record
1-2 in NCAA tournaments

The reason why recruiting locally is important is that the only prayer we have of landing a top 10 player in a class is if he is from Minnesota. I'm not saying it's a good chance, but it's really the only chance.

There were never any rumors about James Wiseman considering the Gophers. There is at least some speculation that Chet will.

Top Bottom