Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

Perhaps it doesn't matter to Suggs or any of the other guys who leave MN either and go elsewhere, but I will say this. I don't follow the NBA, could really care less, but I do click on links that I have seen about Coffey getting a few games with the Clippers, Murphy in the D league or Oturu's draft projections. But I couldn't tell you if the Trent guy is even in the NBA or if the new Jones kid is gonna be drafted.

My point is that how you are remembered in this town or even if you are cared about depends a lot on your college choice. And I know a lot of basketball fans who feel the same way.
What does that mean for the player if he is or is not remembered or cared about by 2000 locals ? There are a ton of ex athletes in this town that played for the Gophers and they are not recognized and do not care to be. Plus, being a former Gopher did not lead to a great job. These kids think brand, national brand, eventual shoe deal for Suggs. He traveled all over with his international experience a saw a great many places he loved. Many young people do not want to live here, play basketball here, go to school here.

Pretty sure you're in the minority in thinking that Suggs isn't slighting the program here. It's pretty clear when Suggs says the b-ball program falls off in comparison to Fleck and the football team that he doesn't hold us in that high of a regard.

Let me ask you this: When Suggs says we didn't match up to what he wanted us to be in comparison to the football team is that a GOOD thing? A compliment? I think you want it to be the case that all is good between Suggs and Minnesota and that we just barely missed out on him.
He is not in the minority as far as I am concerned. I happen to agree with MplsGopher on this.

Slight is another word for insult.

You can choose to take anything that anyone says as an insult. I could say the sky is blue, and you could take that as an insult.

So, how you chose to take those words is meaningless.

What matters is Suggs' intention in saying those words. Was he intending to insult the Gophers and Pitino? That's the only thing that's meaningful, here.

I say, he was not intending that. Rather, he was simply explaining why the Gophers fell off his radar. They weren't the specific type of program he was looking for.

I don't see what's difficult about that to accept.

So I think you want it to be the case that he intended to insult the team and Pitino. You want to believe that is the truth. And you don't care what the actual truth is.
You don’t know what the actual truth is

It's pretty clear when Suggs says the b-ball program falls off in comparison to Fleck and the football team that he doesn't hold us in that high of a regard.
Again, this is all about how you are choosing to take things.

"High" why does it have to be a high/low thing? Why can't it simply be a "different" thing?

I don't take it as an insult, if the program we have is simply "different" than the program he was looking for. There is no reason it is forced to be strictly about quality in the sense of "goodness" or winning.

When Suggs says we didn't match up to what he wanted us to be in comparison to the football team is that a GOOD thing?
Again, you aren't capable of separating out "goodness" from "difference".

Is a lawnmower more good than a go-kart?

They're different. They aren't trying to be better than one another. They're aiming for something different.

You don’t know what the actual truth is
Correct. I would take it from Suggs, Pitino, or someone else very close to the situation.

I never claimed differently, either. I have always said that I'm just putting my viewpoint on this out there. That's all we can do, as message board posters.

If so, then why even mention the football side in his comment?
This has already been explained.

If you actually read the whole article, the context was there. They asked him about football. He explained that giving up football was the hardest decision for him.

Of course it is natural to make the comparison between football and basketball, then.

This has already been explained.

If you actually read the whole article, the context was there. They asked him about football. He explained that giving up football was the hardest decision for him.

Of course it is natural to make the comparison between football and basketball, then.
I get it. Like I told you last time you replied in this manner, I understand that. That's nowhere near the point I'm trying to make.

I get it. Like I told you last time you replied in this manner, I understand that. That's nowhere near the point I'm trying to make.
Your point was that he didn’t have to say anything about Fleck.

That is a silly point. The TV producers didn’t have to have the interviewers ask him anything about football, either.

Your point was that he didn’t have to say anything about Fleck.

That is a silly point. The TV producers didn’t have to have the interviewers ask him anything about football, either.
My point is I don't think he was ever going to play football anyway. Trust me, I read the article.

To me, the only reason he would mention the football side was if he was going to play football and basketball. So in reality, the basketball side was all that mattered. The article never mentioned, and he never alluded to in the article, playing football in college. I know they asked him about giving up football. But he never once said football played into his final college decision. Personally, I don't think it did.

Plus, he never states anything that makes me think Fleck was even recruiting him. All he says is, "Football-wise, I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him."

So, my point is, since he was never going to play football in college, there was no need to mention Fleck in his explanation of why he chose Gonzaga. I know he talked about giving up football in the article, but my opinion is that had no bearing on his college decision.

I get that we might not agree on if the comment was crapping on Pitino or not, and to be honest at this point it probably doesn't matter. I was just hoping to get you to understand where my comment was coming from. If this post doesn't do that I don't think anything will. Which also in the grand scheme of things isn't the end of the world either.

Last edited:

May not be a loss to him. He did not want to play for Pitino.

Which in my opinion is a loss for him. He and his advisors feel different and I respect their reasoning. I also still believe it's only a 25% chance he shows up at Spokane.

I agree on the chance of even playing in college and i want zero one and dones here. However, nearly everyone thinks that Few is a better coach, Gonzaga a better program and a larger national brand.

I agree on the chance of even playing in college and i want zero one and dones here. However, nearly everyone thinks that Few is a better coach, Gonzaga a better program and a larger national brand.
It'd be asinine to think Few and Gonzaga isn't better with the data available. Great one see hidden potential when it's there. Suggs either didn't see it or didn't want to chance it (which is more than fair).

Maybe Suggs knows full well he won't play college ball and he knew signing with the Gophers would've put them in a bad spot so he signed with Gonzaga instead. If that happens I'll look past the "Pitino-crapping."

I'm sure that possibility has already been mentioned in the thread somewhere but I don't have the ambition to find it.

Plus, he never states anything that makes me think Fleck was even recruiting him. All he says is, "Football-wise, I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him."
So, in summary, you get to make the assumption that Fleck never said a single word to him about playing football for the Gophers, never met him a single time he was on campus ... or even that Pitino might've thrown that carrot out there (playing both sports at Minnesota) and set up a meeting with Fleck.

You get to make those assumptions.

But if I try to make any assumption defending him in the slightest, I'm way off base and wrong.

That does not seem fair to me. But I guess life isn't fair.

yes, better to him.
And therefore not a slight.

Glad we're on the same page now

Great analogy: "well I like this car for myself better, because I was looking for a compact SUV instead of a sedan. It's no slight against the sedan at all, just wasn't specifically what I was looking for"

So, in summary, you get to make the assumption that Fleck never said a single word to him about playing football for the Gophers, never met him a single time he was on campus ... or even that Pitino might've thrown that carrot out there (playing both sports at Minnesota) and set up a meeting with Fleck.

You get to make those assumptions.

But if I try to make any assumption defending him in the slightest, I'm way off base and wrong.

That does not seem fair to me. But I guess life isn't fair.
Nope, didn't say that. I said Suggs never states anything in the article that makes me think that. Another reason I found the whole comment odd, as I've mentioned a few times.

Do I think Fleck and Suggs talked? Probably. Do I think there was much progress? Nope, because I think Suggs knew from the get go he'd only be playing basketball, even though as the article states, he'd have a hard time giving it up. Does what I think matter? Absolutely not, I guess what any of think really doesn't matter in the long run.

And therefore not a slight.

Glad we're on the same page now

Great analogy: "well I like this car for myself better, because I was looking for a compact SUV instead of a sedan. It's no slight against the sedan at all, just wasn't specifically what I was looking for"
Or i like that one because it wins more races.

Do I think Fleck and Suggs talked? Probably. Do I think there was much progress? Nope, because I think Suggs knew from the get go he'd only be playing basketball, even though as the article states, he'd have a hard time giving it up.
Therefore, it made zero sense for him to say anything about Fleck, even though you think they likely talked, and in the heat of the moment, after the TV producers asked them to ask him about football, the only possible way it can be interpreted to say a tiny blurb praising Fleck is that it must have been a slight against Pitino and the Gopher MBB program ??????????

My head is going to fall off, from shaking it.

Top Bottom