Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

Pitino was a young coach when we hired him. Coaches learn a lot from year to year and I think he has improved tremendously. It used to drive me crazy the number of transfers, bad apples, etc. but his classes have improved steadily and the number of transfers has gone down and we seem to have been scandal free lately. Here are the averages for his classes so far: 2013: 84.98, 2014: 85.93 2015: 90.12 2016: 92.69 2017: 91.84, 2018: 92.54, 2019: 90.31 2020: 94.52 (so far), 2021: 96.63 (so far with a lot of awesome guys interested). He's made it to the tourney lately. I highly doubt without a scandal or player rebellion, he's going to get fired nor should he. His classes are balanced now, he's going to get Oturu into the NBA which will send message to other recruits. I have no reason to believe the worst years are ahead, I think they're behind us.

None of us can see the future, but depending on who else is recruited, the team next year will be good too. Most thought that we wouldn't win 5 games this year in the big ten or 10 all season. This staff teaches better with Jeter around. They defend better as well. I wouldn't panic as other teams will lose guys too.

BKB??? never seen that one before. What glory has the barn seen? Not to be a negative, but we haven't had much glory at all. The years of "glory" we've had have been mirrored with scandals. I'm not 100% sold on Pitino as I would be a Beard or some others, but I see him getting better and developing and I see some stability with this roster the next 3 years. Just my 2 cents.

1. I'd argue the "MN argument" as been underdone. There is high end talent available in-state. Without it, the Gophers path to national relevance is way, way tougher. If Pitino can't convince most local 4 or 5 star kids to attend the UofM, what makes you think he can routinely get non local ones?

And make no mistake, there are reasons local kids don't stay home. None of them good. Relevant to a thread about a local 5 star "crapping" on Pitino.

2. LOL. C'mon. "depending on who is recruited"?? "Good too"?? You're using "most thought we wouldn't win 5 games this year in the big ten" as a defense of Pitino??? Jeebus, man. Your goals for this program must be different than mine. I'd like to see a ******* above .500 B1G record once in a while, FFS.

3. Seriously?? The Barn used to be nationally known as a tough place to play. Sold out. Enthusiastic crowds. They can't sell out for conference game against MSU now.

Move on already. Ain't happening with Pitino. It's been long enough. Too long.
[/QUOTE]

1. Most kids go out of state now a days. It’s a different culture. This has been discussed numerous times. Pitino is in good shape with young local kids. Schools don’t recruit regionally anymore

2. Our goals aren’t much different. I still believe this team will be above .500 in the Big Ten. Said that all year long. I think this roster is better than last years. I won’t do the would could should about the injury plagued year. I see an upward trend is my main point.

3. Seriously a ton of places are struggling with environment and selling out. Of course more winning will solve that, which is happening.

The reason why recruiting locally is important is that the only prayer we have of landing a top 10 player in a class is if he is from Minnesota. I'm not saying it's a good chance, but it's really the only chance.

There were never any rumors about James Wiseman considering the Gophers. There is at least some speculation that Chet will.

How many top 10 recruits have won national championships in the last 5 years? Goal needs to be to get old.

How many top 10 recruits have won national championships in the last 5 years? Goal needs to be to get old.

Well, I mean, there are only 10 per year, so the odds are pretty low.

But Virginia's championship was built on a top 10 rated class in the country (Ty Jerome, Hunter, Guy). Villanova won it, twice, with McDonald's All Americans. Obviously Duke and North Carolina have high rated recruits too.

I'd guess there are a larger percentage of old teams who don't win National Championships than there are teams without really highly rated recruits.

But Virginia's championship was built on a top 10 rated class in the country (Ty Jerome, Hunter, Guy). Villanova won it, twice, with McDonald's All Americans. Obviously Duke and North Carolina have high rated recruits too.

I'd guess there are a larger percentage of old teams who don't win National Championships than there are teams without really highly rated recruits.

Top 10 rated classes are different. Virgins and Nova didn’t have one and done or top 10 guys. Even UNC follows the get old model and he doesn’t shoot for more than 1 one and done.

That class ranking at UVA was way after the fact of where they where ranked when UVA offered. Those services bumped way up after the fact. Jerome was rated around 250 when offered ! Hunter was 0ver 100. Scouting early, offering early, signing early was the ticket for UVA. They have that class coming next year. Those guys bought in to playing together, playing defense and winning together. In games with Hunter they went 66-5 !

Top 10 rated classes are different. Virgins and Nova didn’t have one and done or top 10 guys. Even UNC follows the get old model and he doesn’t shoot for more than 1 one and done.
True. One and done is disastrous for programs like UVA. What makes UVA and Nova so elite is crazy great coaching. UVA starts with early high school kids and families, character test and pillars of humility, unselfishness.

What's his track record of successfully keeping top MN recruits home? B1G track record? NCAA tournament track record?

And what will his record be next year IF he loses Oturu?

Pitino seems like a decent fellow. If that's your Gopher BKB coach criteria, great. If you want to see the program grow, return The Barn to glory, keep most of the top local recruits home, or hope for B1G or Tourney success, you're not getting there with Pitino. He's not a good enough coach.

What is your track record as a fan? Donations? Support of the team at Williams arena? Support when the times are tough? Getting on the local fan forum or social media to convince the recruit to stay at home? Going up to shake a recruits hand at a high school game to tell him how good he would look in maroon and gold? You got the coach's back in the eyes the recruits?

...or are you the guy that comes on to tell the fans, coach, players, and recruits how nobody should trust the coach and recruits should probably find another program. Cuz we all full-up on that guy here at the GH. maybe if that position opens up we can give you a call.

Can we move on from the Suggs convo?

Coach successfully recruits a prima donna one-and-done that disrupts program and creates bad blood on team = Bad coach

Coach senses that the one-and-done is not a good fit and backs off on recruiting to spend time elsewhere = Good coach.

Pitino has moved on, Suggs has declared for Suggs

Suggs confirms there was a drop off in recruiting and takes a shot (inadvertently or not) at Pitino. In a year or two nobody will remember him unless he makes an impact in the NBA. Without success in NBA he likely burns through his first year contract money and then has to find a job (and they got jobs out in Spokane dont they?). In any case - good luck and have a safe flight out west.

Last edited:

True. One and done is disastrous for programs like UVA. What makes UVA and Nova so elite is crazy great coaching. UVA starts with early high school kids and families, character test and pillars of humility, unselfishness.

I think building your entire team around one-and-dones is tough for a program.

I don't think Villanova would have been worse with Jayson Tatum in addition to their other athletes.

But yeah - I don't think the U is in any danger of getting into that vicious cycle of loading up on one-and-dones every year and having to forge a new identity like Kentucky.

I didn't know that services did that, that's insanely stupid. But I'm sure you're right, I looked at Ty Jerome's offers and they don't match his rating. Thanks for the info!

All of this said, I don't think landing Chet Holmgren would be anything but good for our program.

What is your track record as a fan? Donations? Support of the team at Williams arena? Support when the times are tough? Getting on the local fan forum or social media to convince the recruit to stay at home? Going up to shake a recruits hand at a high school game to tell him how good he would look in maroon and gold? You got the coach's back in the eyes the recruits?

...or are you the guy that comes on to tell the fans, coach, players, and recruits how nobody should trust the coach and recruits should probably find another program. Cuz we all full-up on that guy here at the GH. maybe if that position opens up we can give you a call.
If sticking with a coach who can't win is your idea of "support when times are tough," knock yourself out. But for the record, you're part of the problem.

I'm looking for someone who can win.

And by the way, get over yourself.

If sticking with a coach who can't win is your idea of "support when times are tough," knock yourself out. But for the record, you're part of the problem.

I dont subscribe to the disfunctional, passive agressive, minnesota style of dealing with an issue where you complain until something changes - ya'll are the nagging wives of fandom. (and I'm not even a huge Pitino fan). I am, however, happy to call you guys on it.

You want change - call Mark Coyles office and setup a meeting.

Just another troll....

I didn't know that services did that, that's insanely stupid. But I'm sure you're right, I looked at Ty Jerome's offers and they don't match his rating. Thanks for the info!

All of this said, I don't think landing Chet Holmgren would be anything but good for our program.
Agree about Chet as long as you can refill that gaping hole when he is gone.

I dont subscribe to the disfunctional, passive agressive, minnesota style of dealing with an issue where you complain until something changes - ya'll are the nagging wives of fandom. (and I'm not even a huge Pitino fan). I am, however, happy to call you guys on it.

You want change - call Mark Coyles office and setup a meeting.

blah, blah, blah

We need a new coach.

I will concede though, you are clearly a better fan.

Agree about Chet as long as you can refill that gaping hole when he is gone.

We would never be able to refill that hole. If Chet signs here, it would be a once-in-a-blue-moon situation.

I am not making a personal insult when I say this (in no way am I calling you a loser), but that feels a little like a losers mentality.

Isn't it sort of like saying that you shouldn't go on a dream vacation because that first day back at work stinks?

Just another troll....
This is so stupid. How is anything he said "trolling"? It is well within the purview of a fan to criticize the coach's performance, and a coach with a .375 winning percentage in the Big Ten has earned every piece of criticism he receives - and then some.

If you want exclusively sunshine and rainbows - start your own board.

Still trying to wrap my head around this, any great player leaves a hole once they leave, what's the point?
I think he means it's easier to fill a guys spot when he stays four years as opposed to really not knowing exactly when a guy is leaving(coffey). If we do get Holmgren I'm sure he will be one and done so alittle easier to prepare!

I think he means it's easier to fill a guys spot when he stays four years as opposed to really not knowing exactly when a guy is leaving(coffey). If we do get Holmgren I'm sure he will be one and done so alittle easier to prepare!
I don't know about one and done purely due to his physical limitations at this time, but yeah with his talent can't see him staying beyond sophmore year. He will be an instant contributor at least and will help for the time he is here. The 2017 class was a gaping hole for us as neither are here and neither really contributed.

This is so stupid. How is anything he said "trolling"? It is well within the purview of a fan to criticize the coach's performance, and a coach with a .375 winning percentage in the Big Ten has earned every piece of criticism he receives - and then some.

So... we gotta start our own board if we respond to the negative with some positive? OK Patrick Reusse, who made you king of the thread?

How bout this. If you want more wins get on twitter and tweet at Holmgren's account today telling him how great it will be when he gets here. https://twitter.com/chetholmgren I guarantee he sees your comment - probably today. I also guarantee he peruses the boards for schools he is seriously considering like GH and the fan base plays into his decision (however slightly).

Your right on Pitino and winning percentage but you could also frame it up this way - Pitino is also a single solid season away (and perhaps a deep run ) from being able to have his choice of recruits and the next level in building the Gopher basketball program. Last year was probably that year if Carr gets approval. This year probably is not that year - but next year could be. Chet should absolutely come and be the catalyst and a home town hero.

I'm telling ya'll - Minnesota has had so much hard luck they have forgotten how to be fans. Somewhere along the way they decided that their contribution to the program was to publicly defame the leadership following a decent year, in the middle of a year where they are overachieving and have a shot at the tourney and in the middle of recruiting for next year which could be an awesome year. Good job.

Last edited:

So... we gotta start our own board if we respond to the negative with some positive? OK Patrick Reusse, who made you king of the thread?

How bout this. If you want more wins get on twitter and tweet at Holmgren's account today telling him how great it will be when he gets here. https://twitter.com/chetholmgren I guarantee he sees your comment - probably today. I also guarantee he peruses the boards for schools he is seriously considering like GH and the fan base plays into his decision (however slightly).

Your right on Pitino and winning percentage but you could also frame it up this way - Pitino is also a single solid season away (and perhaps a deep run ) from being able to have his choice of recruits and the next level in building the Gopher basketball program. Last year was probably that year if Carr gets approval. This year probably is not that year - but next year could be. Chet should absolutely come and be the catalyst and a home town hero.

I'm telling ya'll - Minnesota has had so much hard luck they have forgotten how to be fans. Somewhere along the way they decided that their contribution to the program was to publicly defame the leadership following a decent year, in the middle of a year where they are overachieving and have a shot at the tourney and in the middle of recruiting for next year which could be an awesome year. Good job.
The fact that making the Tournament in year 7 would be considered overachieving perfectly illustrates the problem.

And I'm not going to tweet at Chet Holmgren - I'm not interested in committing recruiting violations. Plus - adults who tweet at teenagers they don't know are tools.

The fact that making the Tournament in year 7 would be considered overachieving perfectly illustrates the problem.

And I'm not going to tweet at Chet Holmgren - I'm not interested in committing recruiting violations. Plus - adults who tweet at teenagers they don't know are tools.
Recruiting violations?
Tweeting is only for people you know?

How old are you?

It is the same old drivel with no recognition of the progress that has been made. And before you ask for the 50th time “what progress?” I won’t respond again and again since you don’t seem to really care about what we say. I don’t expect everyone to agree and everything to be positive. The OP claims he trusts the AD to pick the right coach. So far the AD thinks Pitino is the right coach and if he changes his mind he will change coaches.

It is the same old drivel with no recognition of the progress that has been made. And before you ask for the 50th time “what progress?” I won’t respond again and again since you don’t seem to really care about what we say. I don’t expect everyone to agree and everything to be positive. The OP claims he trusts the AD to pick the right coach. So far the AD thinks Pitino is the right coach and if he changes his mind he will change coaches.

You're lecturing me about not caring what people say? How about you try not caring what other people say? Any time anyone says anything negative about Pitino, you have to jump in and complain - including calling them "trolls". As long as people aren't espousing blatant misstatements of fact (for example, that progress is being made) in order to push some BS agenda, posters can say whatever they want. Pitino doesn't need you white-knighting for him on this Gophers-themed message board.

Yes.

Who said that?

39. What does that have to do with anything?

Chet you should be a Gopher! you will do awesome here! The program is on the upswing. Fans like dpodoll68 do not reflect most fans! Pitino is a good coach! We are potentially one year away from an awesome program with you on it! You would be the hometown hero! You would be able to fall back on a great education and local notoriety for a future career in case you need it! I highly encourage it, personally, publically, here, on twitter, and other social media.

There, I've done it. I hope they don't "death sentence" the program because of the me. I guess a risk I am willing to take.

Chet you should be a Gopher! you will do awesome here! The program is on the upswing. Fans like dpodoll68 do not reflect most fans! Pitino is a good coach! We are potentially one year away from an awesome program with you on it! You would be the hometown hero! You would be able to fall back on a great education and local notoriety for a future career in case you need it! I highly encourage it, personally, publically, here, on twitter, and other social media.

There, I've done it. I hope they don't "death sentence" the program because of the me. I guess a risk I am willing to take.
It's not my problem that you don't know what recruiting violations are. P.S. Here's a start - posting on a message board is not a recruiting violation.

Top Bottom