Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

Putrid basketball. Bennett himself has acknowledged it’s not for everyone. Bennett is a very good coach. Does more with less. Unlike Few who does less with more similar to Sean Miller less with more. It’s just a preference of style never said he was not a good coach. This year is putrid IMO and there have been other putrid years.

Putrid basketball. Bennett himself has acknowledged it’s not for everyone. Bennett is a very good coach. Does more with less. Unlike Few who does less with more similar to Sean Miller less with more. It’s just a preference of style never said he was not a good coach. This year is putrid IMO and there have been other putrid years.
Nah, Few is way above average as a coach. It appears your coach assessment machine is broken

Not for everyone.Just coaches to the skill set. Last year was can not miss UVA games as having the nations second best offense with a top 5 defense is elite as it gets. Just beautiful when you take great shots, rarely turn it over, play lockdown defense and dunk it more than just about everyone. When it involves losing 3 NBA guys he developed then what follows is hard to watch but it is just building it back up. I get it. I had several friends who used to watch Loyola run and gun and they loved it. I despised all the turnovers and the non existent defense.

When Suggs says how great Fleck and the football program is, then says Pitino and the basketball program really "fell off", is he saying that we're GOOD?!

I think it's pretty clear that he thinks the local program is garbage so he went elsewhere.
I have minimal sympathy for you if you really think that is what he meant by "fell off".

Pretty clear what he meant is that they fell off his radar because our program wasn't the type of environment that Minnehaha has. And that was also what he meant for Fleck/football, the environment. Not the level of wins on the field.

My interpretation is exactly as correct as yours. No amount of hand-waiving you attempt can change that. Only Suggs himself could provide the truth, if he wanted to (I'm sure he won't bother).

Suggs sounds like an ass tbh. I mean he is just in HS so we forget these kids have a lot of growing up to do but this is a very entitled comment to make.

To become a consistent contender we know Pitino needs to lockdown the elite local talent but he hasn't been that far off. Amir and Oturu were local and are/were some of the best players in the conference.

But it is hard to think what this program could be if all the local kids stayed home.

Suggs sounds like an ass tbh. I mean he is just in HS so we forget these kids have a lot of growing up to do but this is a very entitled comment to make.

To become a consistent contender we know Pitino needs to lockdown the elite local talent but he hasn't been that far off. Amir and Oturu were local and are/were some of the best players in the conference.

But it is hard to think what this program could be if all the local kids stayed home.
There are a lot of states that produce better talent than here and state programs that do not keep the best players home but still win at a elite level. Could care less that Suggs did not come here. Would much rather have someone for4-5 years than someone who may not even play one. The tougher situation for me is that he sells that program well enough to convince others to go there . That is a active and real thing he says to others.

There are a lot of states that produce better talent than here and state programs that do not keep the best players home but still win at a elite level. Could care less that Suggs did not come here. Would much rather have someone for4-5 years than someone who may not even play one. The tougher situation for me is that he sells that program well enough to convince others to go there . That is a active and real thing he says to others.
Agreed, look at Wiseman. He didn't end up playing even a game.

I have minimal sympathy for you if you really think that is what he meant by "fell off".

Pretty clear what he meant is that they fell off his radar because our program wasn't the type of environment that Minnehaha has. And that was also what he meant for Fleck/football, the environment. Not the level of wins on the field.

My interpretation is exactly as correct as yours. No amount of hand-waiving you attempt can change that. Only Suggs himself could provide the truth, if he wanted to (I'm sure he won't bother).
I've already seen enough of your posts to see you never admit you're wrong. There is no way in hell you're going to convince me Suggs meant we "fell off his radar" by that. You've got to be joking. The kid clearly holds some contempt for Pitino and the basketball program, and we can only guess as for the reason why. I hypothesize that it's because Pitino stopped recruiting him a while ago and Suggs felt he deserved more attention from the local program before turning us down.

Either way, it's neither here nor there. Spare me your high horse insults please, I could care less for having your "sympathy".

I've already seen enough of your posts to see you never admit you're wrong. There is no way in hell you're going to convince me Suggs meant we "fell off his radar" by that. You've got to be joking. The kid clearly holds some contempt for Pitino and the basketball program, and we can only guess as for the reason why. I hypothesize that it's because Pitino stopped recruiting him a while ago and Suggs felt he deserved more attention from the local program before turning us down.

Either way, it's neither here nor there. Spare me your high horse insults please, I could care less for having your "sympathy".
You need help. Soon. Very soon.

Last edited:

Never said he was average. Post season has done less with more.
Not buying this.

Suggs is Gonzaga's first consensus 5-star. They are always made up of 3 and 4 stars. See this link:

8 of their top 14 recruits of all time are currently on the roster or committed to Gonzaga (but haven't come yet). So we haven't seen what they can do with elite prospects yet.

Gonzaga is the only team to make the Sweet 16 each of the last 5 years.

Gonzaga has made the Elite 8 3 of the last 5 years.

Played in a National Championship in 2017.

Not buying this.

Suggs is Gonzaga's first consensus 5-star. They are always made up of 3 and 4 stars. See this link:

8 of their top 14 recruits of all time are currently on the roster or committed to Gonzaga (but haven't come yet). So we haven't seen what they can do with elite prospects yet.

Gonzaga is the only team to make the Sweet 16 each of the last 5 years.

Gonzaga has made the Elite 8 3 of the last 5 years.

Played in a National Championship in 2017.

Suggs wasn't ever into the blue blood thing like Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas. I think the gophers had a legit chance, but the program wasn't up to what he wanted. We have plenty of other good MN kids who will keep giving this new staff a chance if they can continue to see the development of guys like Amir, Oturo, Gabe, etc...

The kid clearly holds some contempt for Pitino and the basketball program
I have no idea why you choose to believe this, when there is no evidence to support it. But you choose to believe it, and likely nothing I say will change your mind.

I hypothesize that it's because Pitino stopped recruiting him a while ago and Suggs felt he deserved more attention from the local program before turning us down.
This is more reaching, to try to conjure up something to fit a narrative you want to be true, in my opinion.

I hypothesize the opposite: we tried to recruit him, but he (Suggs) was clearly looking for a very specific type of program, and the U of MN was not that type of program. Nothing wrong with that in the slightest. He let Pitino know that, and we bowed out.

My version is just as likely, if not perhaps more likely, than your version. We'll never know the objective truth unless Pitino, Suggs, or others very close to the situation spill the beans, and I don't think they should do that nor do they have any obligation to answer to message board posters.

I could care less
Then you should care less ...

Last edited:

If it was obvious that Suggs wasn't coming here then I have no problem with Pitino spending less time on his recruitment. Heroic measures make for great movies, but they rarely pay off. Pitino needed to allocate his time towards prospects where there was a higher probability of success.

He recruited him hard to the end and did by any account a damn good job. Recruits pick programs for a lot of reasons and Suggs made it clear what he thought of Few. Carlson, i know exactly why he picked UW. Unless kids are dying to stay home, the vast majority pick the best coach and program offer they get balanced out by playing time and who else is in the class.

You need help. Soon. Very soon.
Care to elaborate? Everything I've said has been perfectly reasonable.

1.) Suggs doesn't think Minnesota is a very good b-ball program. Or at the very least, good enough for him.
2.) His comments slighting Pitino and the U were unnecessary.

That's all I've been trying to say. And I'm not alone in thinking that Suggs has been soaking up attention from the local press by keeping us in his final 5 list.

Also... take note how I didn't start attacking you just because I disagree with your take. ?

Last edited:

Care to elaborate? Everything I've said has been perfectly reasonable.

1.) Suggs doesn't think Minnesota is a very good b-ball program. Or at the very least, good enough for him.
2.) His comments slighting Pitino and the U were unnecessary.

That's all I've been trying to say. And I'm not alone in thinking that Suggs has been soaking up attention from the local press by keeping us in his final 5 list.

Also... take note how I didn't start attacking you just because I disagree with your take. ?
He’s not really attacking u. He’s simply offering u some useful advice.
Ed. Note: Mercy sakes, this thread has legs!

If it was obvious that Suggs wasn't coming here then I have no problem with Pitino spending less time on his recruitment. Heroic measures make for great movies, but they rarely pay off. Pitino needed to allocate his time towards prospects where there was a higher probability of success.

This ^^^^^

and maybe....just maybe, Pitino saw that Suggs wasn't a fit for one reason or another. Just because he is a 5 star doesn't mean he will fit the program. Whether it's a "ME" mentality, or a character flaw... we will never know, but I have faith in RP.

This ^^^^^

and maybe....just maybe, Pitino saw that Suggs wasn't a fit for one reason or another. Just because he is a 5 star doesn't mean he will fit the program. Whether it's a "ME" mentality, or a character flaw... we will never know, but I have faith in RP.
Marcus Carr is here for two more years. Suggs is one and done. Would a Freshman Suggs be a vast improvement over a Junior Carr? No. In fact Suggs may have to share time. Suggs may have seen that and perhaps Pitino honestly informed Suggs of that fact. A junior is most often a step up over a freshman. In this case, Carr is not taking a backseat to Suggs. Suggs may have recognized it and went where he wouldn't have any competition to reduce his playing time.
It's unfortunate that Suggs implies Pitino is below the standard of excellence he was looking for. I don't consider the WCC a conference of excellence that helps Suggs get better. It's like choosing to play with a good high school team on the iron range; beat up on the locals and then struggle when you get to State because you never faced consistently good competition.
Next year I can see myself rooting for Pepperdine. ?

Marcus Carr is here for two more years. Suggs is one and done. Would a Freshman Suggs be a vast improvement over a Junior Carr? No. In fact Suggs may have to share time. Suggs may have seen that and perhaps Pitino honestly informed Suggs of that fact. A junior is most often a step up over a freshman. In this case, Carr is not taking a backseat to Suggs. Suggs may have recognized it and went where he wouldn't have any competition to reduce his playing time.
It's unfortunate that Suggs implies Pitino is below the standard of excellence he was looking for. I don't consider the WCC a conference of excellence that helps Suggs get better. It's like choosing to play with a good high school team on the iron range; beat up on the locals and then struggle when you get to State because you never faced consistently good competition.
Next year I can see myself rooting for Pepperdine. ?
Gonzaga's schedule ranks about 240th... It is a great conference to rack up the stats in.

This ^^^^^

A lot of coaches from a lot of programs over the course of a lot of years at many different levels of basketball have passed on players who looked like a pretty awesome "get" for the same intangible reasons. I saw the Suggs recruitment as sort-of like chasing that woman that kinda likes you a little, but really isn't interested in dating you. She might go out to lunch with you 'cause you're an OK guy, but the reality is that there's no chance of anything developing beyond that. She knows it, and you know it. Why keep banging your head against the wall?

Could we have hired Bennett? either the son or the dad at any point in Gopher history?

Could we have hired Bennett? either the son or the dad at any point in Gopher history?
Who knows....but Sid always said that we had John Wooden in the bag at one point. So there is that.

Top Bottom