Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

We couldnt afford to have someone who isn't even sure they were going to play at this level tie up a spot on the roster - there are enough surprises without asking for one. There are some legitimate misses by Pitino but this isnt one of them.

We couldnt afford to have someone who isn't even sure they were going to play at this level tie up a spot on the roster - there are enough surprises without asking for one. There are some legitimate misses by Pitino but this isnt one of them.

Bingo, Moonlight.

Quick question and admittedly off topic, but certainly more important than Suggs: When did bb shorts start trending shorter?

Quick question and admittedly off topic, but certainly more important than Suggs: When did bb shorts start trending shorter?
A few years ago they started rolling the waistbands. It’s a trend I’ve been following closely. Omersa’s legs set the tone both on and off the bench.

?
This ^^^^^

and maybe....just maybe, Pitino saw that Suggs wasn't a fit for one reason or another. Just because he is a 5 star doesn't mean he will fit the program. Whether it's a "ME" mentality, or a character flaw... we will never know, but I have faith in RP.
I've stated that Suggs wouldn't fit with the current roster well due to us having 3 PGs... doesn't mean Pitino couldn't make it work though.

And from what Suggs said about the program not meeting HIS personal standards... sure sounds like he refused Pitino don't you think? So you can toss that take back out ?

Also, I'm done responding in this pointless thread so it can finally die. Suggs isn't coming here and no amount of arguing will change that.

A few years ago they started rolling the waistbands. It’s a trend I’ve been following closely. Omersa’s legs set the tone both on and off the bench.
Omersa is only a sophomore. If the shorts continue trending north, it may be your Good fortune to find him wearing the Vern Mikkelson editions his senior year.

Suggs doesn't think Minnesota is a very good b-ball program
He didn't say that. Rather, that is your (incorrect, in my opinion) guess of what "fell off" meant, and nothing more than that.

I've posted a completely reasonable, alternative scenario for what the "fell off" language could've meant. You rejected and dismissed it because it didn't fit the narrative you want to believe is true.

At start of the men's liberation movement in late 2017. I expect mini-shorts to be the new trend in two years...

“The basketball side kind of fell off. Football-wise, I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him. But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be.”
More like he FARTED on him

He didn't say that. Rather, that is your (incorrect, in my opinion) guess of what "fell off" meant, and nothing more than that.

I've posted a completely reasonable, alternative scenario for what the "fell off" language could've meant. You rejected and dismissed it because it didn't fit the narrative you want to believe is true.
I rejected your "alternative scenario" because it's complete BS. Suggs literally said, and I quote: "The basketball side kind of fell off. Basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be". So how in the hell does that sound like Pitino turned Suggs down?

I just used facts to back up my argument. So please don't act like I'm the one hung on a narrative when YOU'RE the one who is purely speculating.

Suggs literally said, and I quote: "The basketball side kind of fell off. Basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be". So how in the hell does that sound like Pitino turned Suggs down?
I didn’t suggest Pitino turned Suggs down.

I suggested that the U’s b-ball program/environment was not the specific type that Suggs was looking for.

Gonzaga is a very specific type of program. That is what he was looking for.

Hence why Suggs said that the Gophs “fell off” his radar.

That doesn’t imply a single thing about the quality of Gophs b-ball program. That is your likely mistake, which you’re too proud to admit.

I suggested that the U’s b-ball program/environment was not the specific type that Suggs was looking for.

That doesn’t imply a single thing about the quality of Gophs b-ball program. That is your likely mistake, which you’re too proud to admit.

I rejected your "alternative scenario" because it's complete BS. Suggs literally said, and I quote: "The basketball side kind of fell off. Basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be". So how in the hell does that sound like Pitino turned Suggs down?

I just used facts to back up my argument. So please don't act like I'm the one hung on a narrative when YOU'RE the one who is purely speculating.

If you look at the whole quote where he makes the comment about PJ, "I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him. But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be." It becomes more of a swipe at Pitino and the BB program.

My fault. It was actually Gopherbbdude that had that take about Pitino turning Suggs down. Hard to keep track of all the gopher names on this board...

I still believe that when Suggs compares our b-ball program to Fleck's incredible season and says it fell off and isn't where he wants it to be, that Suggs thinks its a quality issue. And you can't just say I'm mistaken if others also agree with my line of thinking.

Omersa is only a sophomore. If the shorts continue trending north, it may be your Good fortune to find him wearing the Vern Mikkelson editions his senior year.
The Revenge of the Booty Huggers

The Revenge of the Booty Huggers

Kerwin Walton rocks the short shorts too. I think the more muscular your legs the shorter you're entitled to go. I'd have to wear knee length shorts. And long socks.

Which part was the slight?
"The basketball side kind of fell off"
"But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be."

I'm really struggling to see either of those as slights, unless you're going to define for him (which you just said I couldn't do) what 'fell off' meant, in context.
Clearly those are slights. Not sure how you can’t see that.

Ironically the All Things Jalen Suggs thread only garnered 26 pages of content as opposed to the 100+ we often see with some of the local high level recruits. Even though it was started in 2013, the lack of content was likely because we all knew he wasn't coming here.

Now fast forward to his silly announcement comment and the reaction has led us to almost halfway there to 26 pages!

Clearly those are slights.
Slight is another word for insult.

You can choose to take anything that anyone says as an insult. I could say the sky is blue, and you could take that as an insult.

So, how you chose to take those words is meaningless.

What matters is Suggs' intention in saying those words. Was he intending to insult the Gophers and Pitino? That's the only thing that's meaningful, here.

I say, he was not intending that. Rather, he was simply explaining why the Gophers fell off his radar. They weren't the specific type of program he was looking for.

I don't see what's difficult about that to accept.

So I think you want it to be the case that he intended to insult the team and Pitino. You want to believe that is the truth. And you don't care what the actual truth is.

This ^^^^^

and maybe....just maybe, Pitino saw that Suggs wasn't a fit for one reason or another. Just because he is a 5 star doesn't mean he will fit the program. Whether it's a "ME" mentality, or a character flaw... we will never know, but I have faith in RP.
In other words

"I didn't want Suggs anyway"

Slight is another word for insult.

You can choose to take anything that anyone says as an insult. I could say the sky is blue, and you could take that as an insult.

So, how you chose to take those words is meaningless.

What matters is Suggs' intention in saying those words. Was he intending to insult the Gophers and Pitino? That's the only thing that's meaningful, here.

I say, he was not intending that. Rather, he was simply explaining why the Gophers fell off his radar. They weren't the specific type of program he was looking for.

I don't see what's difficult about that to accept.

So I think you want it to be the case that he intended to insult the team and Pitino. You want to believe that is the truth. And you don't care what the actual truth is.
Pretty sure you're in the minority in thinking that Suggs isn't slighting the program here. It's pretty clear when Suggs says the b-ball program falls off in comparison to Fleck and the football team that he doesn't hold us in that high of a regard.

Let me ask you this: When Suggs says we didn't match up to what he wanted us to be in comparison to the football team is that a GOOD thing? A compliment? I think you want it to be the case that all is good between Suggs and Minnesota and that we just barely missed out on him.

Let's say the situation was reversed. Let's say Suggs thought the football side fell off but the basketball side was strong. What would happen then? Would he consider the Gophers?

If so, then why even mention the football side in his comment? He'd consider the Gophers if he liked the basketball side, period. If he doesn't like the basketball side, the football side has nothing to do with it. That's why I don't like what he said at all.

No need to bring Fleck and football into it, was never part of the decision. If it was he wouldn't have considered Gonzaga in the first place. It was a chance for him to say Fleck is better than Pitino and that's why he didn't come here because he didn't want to be the bad guy and flat out say I chose Zags basketball over Gopher basketball.

Only problem is he was gonna have to be the bad guys from someone's perspective so he should've just been up front and said he liked the Gonzaga program more than the Gopher program.

Perhaps it doesn't matter to Suggs or any of the other guys who leave MN either and go elsewhere, but I will say this. I don't follow the NBA, could really care less, but I do click on links that I have seen about Coffey getting a few games with the Clippers, Murphy in the D league or Oturu's draft projections. But I couldn't tell you if the Trent guy is even in the NBA or if the new Jones kid is gonna be drafted.

My point is that how you are remembered in this town or even if you are cared about depends a lot on your college choice. And I know a lot of basketball fans who feel the same way.

Top Bottom