Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

So you don't like that Minnehaha is good and that's why you are upset about Suggs? Still waiting for anything that resembles a logical thought
I don't care if they are good. But if you are going to recruit players like that, get out of AA ball. Play with the big boys, or better yet I'd say would be a seperate prep playoffs.

This may be ten pages in but Suggs seems kindof like a dick. Unless Pitino did something bad to him I don't see why he said that. Sublte hatred towards Pitino? Random outburst of honesty?

This may be ten pages in but Suggs seems kindof like a dick. Unless Pitino did something bad to him I don't see why he said that. Sublte hatred towards Pitino? Random outburst of honesty?
He said what he thinks. Seems better to me to just thank those that recruited him and move on. To him it is very obvious who has the better coach and better program.

He said what he thinks. Seems better to me to just thank those that recruited him and move on. To him it is very obvious who has the better coach and better program.
And you know this... how?

Unless you've actually spoken to Suggs who the hell knows what his motives were for trashing Pitino and our program. Either way it was extremely unnecessary.

Did not speak with him but what is it about what he said that you think he made up ? Players usually pick the coach and program that they think is better unless staying home is the largest priority.

Did Suggs say something else today, or are we still agonizing over what he said a week ago?

Did not speak with him but what is it about what he said that you think he made up ? Players usually pick the coach and program that they think is better unless staying home is the largest priority.
Obviously Suggs is going to pick Few and Gonzaga over us if he feels it's a better fit. I have no problem with that - you misinterpreted my argument. YOU'RE the one who's protecting Sugg's backhanded comments by saying "he knows who the better program is".

Just because Suggs thinks Few and Gonzaga are better than staying home doesn't mean he has to take a dump on the local program and proceed to tell the press that "Fleck and the football program are great but Pitino and the basketball program suck" (I'm paraphrasing a little but that's basically what he said).

Obviously Suggs is going to pick Few and Gonzaga over us if he feels it's a better fit. I have no problem with that - you misinterpreted my argument. YOU'RE the one who's protecting Sugg's backhanded comments by saying "he knows who the better program is".

Just because Suggs thinks Few and Gonzaga are better than staying home doesn't mean he has to take a dump on the local program and proceed to tell the press that "Fleck and the football program are great but Pitino and the basketball program suck" (I'm paraphrasing a little but that's basically what he said).
I had already posted that i am against how he announced. Hell my favorite way is when a player picks up the phone, calls those that recruited them and thanks them, call the coach he picked and commits , no hat reveal, no press conference. Many great players go the low key route. Taking shots at programs lacks maturity and class.

“The basketball side kind of fell off. Football-wise, I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him. But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be.”

This is still the quote we're talking about right? I'm failing to see why this is so bad.

Whoa ..... dude, is that what he said??

I had to go back and read what he actually said, now:
"
He said the University of Minnesota was always in the mix, but in the end, he didn’t feel like the Gophers’ program was right for him. “The basketball side kind of fell off. Football-wise, I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him. But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be.
"

THAT'S what you're so pissed about?? I don't mean to be an a__hole .... but come on man. That really isn't that bad.

I think you're reaching quite a bit to interpret that as saying "Minnesota basketball sucks".

Earlier in the article, he was talking about how Gonzaga's environment was like an extension of Minnehaha's, which is what he wanted. And that makes perfect sense. Smaller, private, Catholic (doubt that part matters per se, but it goes in hand with the first two parts), strong bball program and support/attendance.

I don't get why he has to mention Fleck at all. All it does is set up a way for him to slight Pitino/ the basketball program. Unless he's planning on playing football at Gonzaga, there's no need to bring the football program into the conversation. It was an intentional shot. But maybe this has already been discussed and I forgot.

(Yes, I know Gonzaga hasn't had a football team since WWII.)

I don't get why he has to mention Fleck at all.
Because, read the article. The set-up was that he was Mr. Minnesota, in high school football. He was heavily recruited for football, and he said giving up football will be the toughest thing for him.

"
He said the University of Minnesota was always in the mix, but in the end, he didn’t feel like the Gophers’ program was right for him. “The basketball side kind of fell off. Football-wise, I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him. But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be.
"

THAT'S what you're so pissed about?? I don't mean to be an a__hole .... but come on man. That really isn't that bad.

I think you're reaching quite a bit to interpret that as saying "Minnesota basketball sucks".

Earlier in the article, he was talking about how Gonzaga's environment was like an extension of Minnehaha's, which is what he wanted. And that makes perfect sense. Smaller, private, Catholic (doubt that part matters per se, but it goes in hand with the first two parts), strong bball program and support/attendance.
Could not agree with you more. I was going to post the exact same thing but never got around to it. Don't know why people are automatically reading into it that he was dishing the BB program.

Actually now reading it again ... I think I could correctly reword what Suggs meant, perhaps in a way that would be less offensive to some Gopher fans:

"I really loved the way that Fleck recruited me and really loved what he was doing with that program. If I had decided to play football, I would've committed to Minnesota. But I decided to play basketball. And in my basketball recruitment, the more I thought about what I wanted in a program and environment for college, the more it became apparent to me that Minnesota's program was less of a fit for me as opposed to what I was looking for, so they fell off my radar a bit in the process."

Because, read the article. The set-up was that he was Mr. Minnesota, in high school football. He was heavily recruited for football, and he said giving up football will be the toughest thing for him.
Not that tough apparently. He knows where his future lies. It's not football. He made that decision, wisely, long ago when he gave serious thought to playing at a school without a football team. It always was (and will continue to be as he considers playing overseas instead of in Spokane) a basketball decision. If he decides to play overseas, I wonder if he will slight Gonzaga to justify his decision.

Not that tough apparently. He knows where his future lies. It's not football. He made that decision, wisely, long ago when he gave serious thought to playing at a school without a football team. It always was (and will continue to be as he considers playing overseas instead of in Spokane) a basketball decision. If he decides to play overseas, I wonder if he will slight Gonzaga to justify his decision.
I just don't see the slight. But you are entitled to your opinion/perception.

Actually now reading it again ... I think I could correctly reword what Suggs meant, perhaps in a way that would be less offensive to some Gopher fans:

"I really loved the way that Fleck recruited me and really loved what he was doing with that program. If I had decided to play football, I would've committed to Minnesota. But I decided to play basketball. And in my basketball recruitment, the more I thought about what I wanted in a program and environment for college, the more it became apparent to me that Minnesota's program was less of a fit for me as opposed to what I was looking for, so they fell off my radar a bit in the process."
Not a huge deal but you can not speak for what he meant. He flat out slighted the basketball program.

Not a huge deal but you can not speak for what he meant. He flat out slighted the basketball program.
Which part was the slight?
"The basketball side kind of fell off"
"But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be."

I'm really struggling to see either of those as slights, unless you're going to define for him (which you just said I couldn't do) what 'fell off' meant, in context.

I don't care if they are good. But if you are going to recruit players like that, get out of AA ball. Play with the big boys, or better yet I'd say would be a seperate prep playoffs.

I agree, private schools have a basic advantage, for tournament purposes I think every private school should be required to play up at least one class from school size, if they don't like that let them go find another organisation to compete in.

I agree, private schools have a basic advantage, for tournament purposes I think every private school should be required to play up at least one class from school size, if they don't like that let them go find another organisation to compete in.
MSHSL should have separate classes and state tournaments for private schools.

That is the bottom line.

If publics and privates want to schedule games/matches during the regular season, that's just fine.

Which part was the slight?
"The basketball side kind of fell off"
"But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be."

I'm really struggling to see either of those as slights, unless you're going to define for him (which you just said I couldn't do) what 'fell off' meant, in context.
Why say it at all. When is the last time you heard a recruit say it in any context ?

Why say it at all. When is the last time you heard a recruit say it in any context ?
He was in the heat of the moment, on TV, being pressured for sound bites by TV producers who wanted content out of him.

Give him a little bit of the benefit of the doubt, yeah?

Since there was a lot of talk about private schools in the Cities a couple pages back, thought I'd post that Blake, Breck, and SPA crack the top 100 largest Non-Profits in Minnesota, according to STrib:

Blake - $59.3M revenue - Head of school makes $642k/yr
Breck - $42.8M revenue - Head of school makes $505k/yr
SPA - $38M revenue - Head of schools makes $601k/yr

My opinion: how absurd can you get???

Wait! He’s not playing football for Gonzaga?!?

He was in the heat of the moment, on TV, being pressured for sound bites by TV producers who wanted content out of him.

Give him a little bit of the benefit of the doubt, yeah?
Did not like it, think it was not necessary but it does not make me think he is a bad person. Happy for him and the choice of school he chose. Wish him nothing but the best and will cheer from him to do great wherever he goes.

This constitutes as "crapping on" someone? Pointing out facts? When Suggs was a Freshman, the Gophers were 4th in the B1G finishing 11-7 in conference play. Since that time, they went 4-14 in his Sophomore year and 9-11 in his Junior year. The basketball program has fallen off since Suggs started the recruiting process in earnest.

I am not sure what you are supposed to say about a coach who is 42-73 (.365) in conference play if you are going to say anything at all. Suggs is being asked why he isn't going to Minnesota and he told you/us: it has a lot to do with Richard Pitino not creating a program that is an attractive destination. He's not advanced deep in a single NCAA tournament, he's not finished in the top 25 in a single season, he's not had a single NBA draft pick. Pitino's had plenty of time to sell himself and his program to this entire 2020 class and they all came to the same conclusion.

"
"

Woahhhh hold up. I've been wanting to close this thread for a week now. I don't particularly care about Suggs anymore and was never that upset with what he said. I just pointed out the facts.

Read between the lines. When Suggs says how great Fleck and the football program is, then says Pitino and the basketball program really "fell off", is he saying that we're GOOD?!

I think it's pretty clear that he thinks the local program is garbage so he went elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that, just didn't need to say it.

Love when these top 20 guys dont like the program because they dont think the program is up to standard to them. If they're that good then it would change our program around. By the way were not that far off. Get a guy like suggs or garcia and you might get to Elie 8. Nothing is guaranteed, just like nothing guaranteed that Gonzaga doesnt get upset first round next year with suggs.

Top Bottom