Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

Just Minnehaha shouldn't be allowed in the MSHSL that's all. It's a sports school, period. Let them play the rest of the prep teams around the nation.
Sports school only? What rock do you live under? Minnehaha is best known as an academic powerhouse. Their students are competing for spots in elite colleges and universities. Sports is a nice side gig for Minnehaha Academy.

Can we retire this thread. I could give a Rats Ass about Suggs now (don't wish ill will, just don't give a rip about him anymore). He's gone, lets move on.

Minnehaha is best known as an academic powerhouse. Their students are competing for spots in elite colleges and universities.
Is that actually true, though? At least, any more than any of the other private/prep schools in the metro?

For some reason (not sure why), they don't strike me as being somehow head&shoulders higher. But, I wouldn't be able to tell you who is, either.

Suggs is a great player. If would have come here next year- darn near every game would be sold out. His games would have been on TV while most of America is still awake. At least 20 of his games would be against teams rated far better than the teams they play in conference. If he came and Oturu stayed we would be as good as Gonzaga next year.

So...in my view none of your arguments above work. If you want to say that Few is the better coach- fine, that is fair.

For me though the issue is not that he went there. I really have no issue with that. He says that Gonzaga was where he wanted to go from day one. Then make the choice, skip arranging the parade in your own honor and don't throw shade on the hometown team in the process.

I disagree with your disagreement. Gopher basketball hasn't had a season in which most games have sold out since before the academic scandal. Even during the high point of the early Tubby Smith days there were always open seats during the nonconference season and for midweek Big Ten games against the lesser lights. Suggs is a tremendous talent who'd have made the Gophers much better and would have improved attendance, but I can't get on board with the idea that nearly every game would be sold out. General interest in the team has eroded to the point of there being a lost generation of fans that the U of M, both on the floor and in the marketing department, needs to work overtime to regain.

The point about being on TV when more of the nation can see him is a valid given the late West Coast starts. Would we have been at Gonzaga's level next season had he stayed? Perhaps, but we unfortunately haven't been at their level for the majority of the past 20 years. They somehow parlayed beating our much weakened team in the 1999 tourney and us taking their coach into becoming a marquee program. I am sad that Suggs is going there and not here and don't like that he took a dig at the U of M on the way to Spokane although it's criticism that could be helpful if taken constructively regardless of intent, but from a player perspective this seems like a pretty easy choice. Somehow we have to make the decision more difficult for future recruits.

Sports school only? What rock do you live under? Minnehaha is best known as an academic powerhouse. Their students are competing for spots in elite colleges and universities. Sports is a nice side gig for Minnehaha Academy.
I really don't care about academics. And let's take a look see at their basketball team once, I bet they are all-world scholars. :ROFLMAO:

Garbage. Just like Hopkins. No reason for them to be in the MSHSL. At the very worst put them in the top class and see how they do. It's not fair to the rest of the kids in their class.

I really don't care about academics. And let's take a look see at their basketball team once, I bet they are all-world scholars. :ROFLMAO:

Garbage. Just like Hopkins. No reason for them to be in the MSHSL. At the very worst put them in the top class and see how they do. It's not fair to the rest of the kids in their class.
I bet they are much better than you imply. I bet their ACT scores (just for athletes) is better than most public school averages by at least 5 points. (HS average in MN is somewhere around 17-19 on the ACT.)

I would assume you are pretty butthurt about school/kids/coaches you know not having the success those guys do. Member how you said Suggs shouldn't bring things up, move on, and have some class? I would suggest you do the same instead of ridiculing high schoolers lol.

I disagree with your disagreement.
:) You made me laugh with that one!

I think this town would explode for Gopher buckets if a kid like Suggs had joined a team with Oturu, Carr, Gabe, etc. Yes it has been a 20 year drought, but the fans would return in a hurry for a team that could compete for the championships. Before Musselman, the Gophers were getting smaller crowds and that turned overnight.

We will never know, as Mr. Suggs like so many others didn't think he could get it done here. I don't blame him for that, I just think he could have.
So it goes. He may never play college ball anyway. His mind is on the NBA.

I bet they are much better than you imply. I bet their ACT scores (just for athletes) is better than most public school averages by at least 5 points. (HS average in MN is somewhere around 17-19 on the ACT.)

Of course they are better, they can be selective for both athletes and non athletes, you don't pay 25k a year for a normal education.

They rank in that group after Blake and Breck and SPA the top three. Average ACT at Breck is near 30. Tuition at Breck is north of 33,000 per.

I wouldn’t necessarily consider them as an academic powerhouse. It’s where you go if you can’t get into Blake or Breck. SPA is Minnehaha’s St. Paul counterpart with a hint of ROTC.

Can we close this thread? I'm sick of talking about Suggs and most of these posts aren't even about him anymore.

Can we retire this thread. I could give a Rats Ass about Suggs now (don't wish ill will, just don't give a rip about him anymore). He's gone, lets move on.

Yup...couldn’t agree more. The comment was unfortunate but I made a lot of poor decisions when I was that age. Get Kerwin!!!

Suggs gave an honest response, why would anyone other than a hardcore Pitino backer care? It wasn't a "diss" on the U as he gave props to PJ and the football program.

Of course they are better, they can be selective for both athletes and non athletes, you don't pay 25k a year for a normal education.
Most of the kids parents are paying their way. They want excellence for their children in all areas of their education. I don't blame parents for wanting the best for their kids. Go to Chicago. Parents are desperate to get their kids into private schools where they can get a competitive education rather than have their kids at a glorified day care center called Chicago Public Schools.

That Harris and Washington Class was a killer for sure!!!
. It happens. All kinds of things happen to every program. The white supremacist march on Charlottsville from out of towners cost UVA two surefire recruits, both high quality shooters. That is in full negative effect on how poor UVA is right now. No worries, just like them it opens up new opportunities for others in following classes. It costs short term wins but in the long run often works better as your younger players develop more through difficult circumstance and with potentially better recruits in the following classes that you get playing time to sell.

Missouri is still struggling to recover from the umm 'struggles'

. It happens. All kinds of things happen to every program. The white supremacist march on Charlottsville from out of towners cost UVA two surefire recruits, both high quality shooters. That is in full negative effect on how poor UVA is right now. No worries, just like them it opens up new opportunities for others in following classes. It costs short term wins but in the long run often works better as your younger players develop more through difficult circumstance and with potentially better recruits in the following classes that you get playing time to sell.

Agreed and the fact we followed it with what he have makes it ok. Just like you said hurts a little this year because we don't have older talent. Can get away with one class, just can't be multiple in a row.

They rank in that group after Blake and Breck and SPA the top three. Average ACT at Breck is near 30. Tuition at Breck is north of 33,000 per.
Fun fact, I believe Breck now is the former location of the public high school in the old Golden Valley district, that no longer exists and merged with Hopkins.

If that GV district had stayed separate, I wonder if Hopkins would look at lot more like St Louis Park (and GV).

I wouldn’t necessarily consider them as an academic powerhouse. It’s where you go if you can’t get into Blake or Breck. SPA is Minnehaha’s St. Paul counterpart with a hint of ROTC.
Where do Benilde, Holy Angels, and St Thomas Military fit in? Great sports schools, that's for sure. Or maybe the former two are just good hockey schools? In that case, I suppose you could put Hill-Murray in there too.

CDH on the other hand, great all around sports school. No idea on academics.

CDH gets a little credit they petitioned to play at the Big School from the get go over 25 years ago. No sandbagging.

Where do Benilde, Holy Angels, and St Thomas Military fit in? Great sports schools, that's for sure. Or maybe the former two are just good hockey schools? In that case, I suppose you could put Hill-Murray in there too.

CDH on the other hand, great all around sports school. No idea on academics.

In the same breath as Minnehaha. Playing 2A, 3A, etc. How great they must feel to dominate towns of 15K when they recruit the entire state. Garbage.

CDH gets a little credit they petitioned to play at the Big School from the get go over 25 years ago. No sandbagging.
Ah, right. That leads me of course to Totino, who had to be dragged up into the big boys kicking and screaming.

Also, CDH beat up on St Paul public schools in conference play for far too long. Would be like now if Minnehaha played MPS schools.

I would assume you are pretty butthurt about school/kids/coaches you know not having the success those guys do. Member how you said Suggs shouldn't bring things up, move on, and have some class? I would suggest you do the same instead of ridiculing high schoolers lol.
Of course they won't have the success! Let's combine 10- 2A schools or even the whole southern half of the state and pick the best 10 to compete against them. Then they'd have a chance. It ain't right and you know it.

Of course they won't have the success! Let's combine 10- 2A schools or even the whole southern half of the state and pick the best 10 to compete against them. Then they'd have a chance. It ain't right and you know it.
So you don't like that Minnehaha is good and that's why you are upset about Suggs? Still waiting for anything that resembles a logical thought

Look, he’s not “wrong”, it’s just a useless statement. If you are at the caliber of Suggs, choose the best option to get you to your goals. But this comment just reads entitled and naive. If you are good enough to be ranked top 10, you are good enough to make your legacy.

I’d also add that he’s not paying attention to the sophomore class that Pitino has growing up right now. I could a revue that Pitino’s biggest failure this year is Amir going pro. But his roster is young talented and improving.
Not wrong on what? His own personal opinion. Do you know how an opinion works? Amir going pro is patinos biggest failure? What does he have to do with him going pro? Little to nothing.

Not wrong on what? His own personal opinion. Do you know how an opinion works? Amir going pro is patinos biggest failure? What does he have to do with him going pro? Little to nothing.

Of all the garbage takes in this thread, you pick out this one... mid game against MSU? I wrote this several days ago and haven’t engaged. Won’t be responding.

So you don't like that Minnehaha is good and that's why you are upset about Suggs? Still waiting for anything that resembles a logical thought
The obvious, and correct in my opinion, idea being expressed is that it is absolutely unfair and frankly ridiculous to suggest that Minnehaha should be in the same class as rural farm town public schools, simply based on enrollment size.

Top Bottom