Quarterbacks in the Transfer Portal

I don't care who we get so long as they can read the defense pre-snap and run when the pocket breaks down. AK was a step slow and my GOD was he awful at reading the D. There were times we sent a WR or TE in motion and you can see they are in M2M with a single high safety. How we didn't have 500 yards of across the middle mesh route receiving yards is unreal. He would stick to the deep cross or fade or 7 yard out route that Jackson was running and that is it. It was painful to watch. There are junior high's in Texas that had QBs that make better reads.

My buddy and I were sitting in the stands in the Illinois game and finally came to the conclusion that AK can't hit the crossing pattern accurately so that pass was avoided. Seriously, how many times this year did you see him make the intermediate to short crossing pattern route with touch and accuracy? I believe it's one reason why BSF had such a crappy year (compared to last year). He should have caught some of those balls, but many were rifled off target.

Last edited:

Yeah, I completely agree. It's a much worse version of professional sports where you don't have a draft and some semblance of player control.

It felt more like the NFL when there were just grad transfers and players kind of earned that freedom.
Exactly.

Yup .. this is the kid to get ...
The reason this 5* kid is leaving UCLA after his freshman season is that he wants to play where he’ll be developed. That pretty much writes us out because PJ doesn’t understand or believe how valuable a real QB coach is to attracting and retaining QB talent. It’s not just NIL money; coaching counts, too.

The reason this 5* kid is leaving UCLA after his freshman season is that he wants to play where he’ll be developed. That pretty much writes us out because PJ doesn’t understand or believe how valuable a real QB coach is to attracting and retaining QB talent. It’s not just NIL money; coaching counts, too.
Wish I can be a fly on the wall in that coach’s office right now. They have to see all of these amazing QBs becoming available to pursuit. Are they saying “how much can we offer” “who we getting?” “Let’s reach out to him, him and him!”

They offered to one Brosmer and that’s it! Hope they’re not waiting for an answer from Brosmer before they offer to another (better) QB!

Wish we know what they’re doing in that office right now?!

Could be nothing but Brosmer appears to have been offered by Wake Forest but didn’t post it on Twitter. Could indicate he’s close to a decision. Wouldn’t mind getting him. Doesn’t need to be developed so that won’t be an issue for the coaching regime.

Could be nothing but Brosmer appears to have been offered by Wake Forest but didn’t post it on Twitter. Could indicate he’s close to a decision. Wouldn’t mind getting him. Doesn’t need to be developed so that won’t be an issue for the coaching regime.
sadly I think an offer from Wake Forest may be our kryptonite. The current state of our program/NIL is glum.

sadly I think an offer from Wake Forest may be our kryptonite. The current state of our program/NIL is glum.

You might be right but is Wake Forest really that far ahead of us from a recruiting standpoint? The perception of the board is that this program has fallen off a cliff, but how about them?

2021: 11-3, 7-1
2022: 8-5, 3-5
2023: 4-8, 1-7

Imagine for a few seconds that you're a good college QB in the portal right now....

Starting making a list of pro's and con's for committing to Minnesota, vs other programs.

What are the positives and negatives for playing the position of QB at our program, that each QB and family analyze when they're comparing schools amongst each other??

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, and we'll get an experienced QB who can right the ship for a period of time. We'll see...

You might be right but is Wake Forest really that far ahead of us from a recruiting standpoint? The perception of the board is that this program has fallen off a cliff, but how about them?

2021: 11-3, 7-1
2022: 8-5, 3-5
2023: 4-8, 1-7
We have the edge because were a large school in a top conference but they're a ACC private school that most likely has deep pocket NIL donors. The warmer climate could tip the scales for many recruits as well.

Imagine for a few seconds that you're a good college QB in the portal right now....

Starting making a list of pro's and con's for committing to Minnesota, vs other programs.

What are the positives and negatives for playing the position of QB at our program, that each QB and family analyze when they're comparing schools amongst each other??

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, and we'll get an experienced QB who can right the ship for a period of time. We'll see...

I guess it depends on what you're looking for, if you're "a really good QB".

Are you interested playing in the B1G (pretty good conference)?

Are you interested in having a real opportunity to be the starter from Day One? Note: I said an opportunity. Not guaranteed.

In 2024, you'd be playing games against North Carolina, Iowa, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Penn State. Does that sort of thing get your competitive juices flowing?

Minnesota has three trophy games on the schedule in 2024... does that level of intensity of competition attract you?

------

I guess we'll see if, in 2023-24, those types of things are still important to modern athletes. Maybe the zoomers are uninterested in that sort of thing.

The new likely curb on this will be the IRS. The Service has already ruled that contributions to collectives aren't tax deductible if the collective doesn't have a charitable purpose (paying athletes is not charitable). The next piece of this is legitimate business expense. The Service needs to start disallowing business deductions for NIL payments that are misaligned with actual value. For instance, Bigshot car dealer in Columbus gives third string QB a car and QB needs only to say "thanks" on IG. Is the value to Car dealer really there? No. Car dealer is simply pimping his favorite football team. There's no or very little business purpose there. Is Cardealer going to give 3rd string QB that car if Cardealer is disallowed the deduction? Probably not.
More IRS agents…more audits of NII donors AND recipients will save non- helmet schools or allow the rich to become richer.

Time will tell

The new likely curb on this will be the IRS. The Service has already ruled that contributions to collectives aren't tax deductible if the collective doesn't have a charitable purpose (paying athletes is not charitable). The next piece of this is legitimate business expense. The Service needs to start disallowing business deductions for NIL payments that are misaligned with actual value. For instance, Bigshot car dealer in Columbus gives third string QB a car and QB needs only to say "thanks" on IG. Is the value to Car dealer really there? No. Car dealer is simply pimping his favorite football team. There's no or very little business purpose there. Is Cardealer going to give 3rd string QB that car if Cardealer is disallowed the deduction? Probably not.

We have the edge because were a large school in a top conference but they're a ACC private school that most likely has deep pocket NIL donors. The warmer climate could tip the scales for many recruits as well.

If they have such deep NIL pockets why does their record suck?

Some of you way overrate how much most school alumni are willing to spend for a winner.

tell us you are a hack coaching staff without telling us..... picking QBs up on the portal is the best way to tell me this program is doomed for the next few seasons.

Coaches' jobs are to develop players if they are failing at the most important position we should be concerned.

Yeah… this is why I don’t think this is necessarily a good thing. These are college kids. They learn and improve. Chasing a guy out with a full year of experience is pretty dumb. Also think it’s dumb for him to leave. Stay and compete. If you’re good enough to play at the next level then you will win the competition. I don’t know which side is turning tail and running but Athan played like trash this year and he’s not going to get any better if he doesn’t work on the things that were obviously wrong. Gophers don’t necessarily get better without him. Why are you in the portal giving up an entire bowl season worth of practice to go play for a bad G5 school?
I agree with you but its pretty clear that these coaches cant develop players

I don't care who they get, as long as he's...

1) Tall
2) Big arm
3) Good runner

It's been proven over and over that those are the only important requirements for a QB.
(sarcasm)

Top Bottom