QB Max Brosmer of New Hampshire commits to the Gophers

I respect his decision. Honestly reminds me a lot of Morgan in stature and style. Not a big guy, looks like maybe a little better athlete. Smooth and quick delivery, very productive in high school and college, stats suggest good accuracy. Strong enough arm. Seems smart, grounded in his interview. A+ Good job PJ

Uh, oh. He didn't hand the ball to the ref. I see conflict in our future.

Looking a bit at UNH their pass to run ration was the same as our run to pass ratio.

UNH 60% Pass
MN 60% Run.

They utilized the TE and their TE's had about 25 more catches than MN.

Order of Catches for UNH
1. Running back let the team in catches at 68
2. 6'3" WR
3. TE with 39 Catches
4. 6'4" WR
5 6'2" WR

We don't have the same size at WR and interesting that the RB led the team in catches.

Max is now ranked 11 of 75 QBs in the portal. Looks like a very good get for Minnesota.
Definitely a good get and should be able to contribute at a high level in game 1 vs North Carolina.

Max is now ranked 11 of 75 QBs in the portal. Looks like a very good get for Minnesota.
The total list is now up to 50 now. I thought maybe AK would sneak in at the bottom. It's not easy to be a starting QB in the B1G. Does anyone know how many D-1 QBs are in the portal? Just interested to know. I do hope he decides to stay on and compete for the starting or backup job in 2024-2025. People get hurt all the time. Maybe he can learn some things from another four year starter (Tanner being the first). He could still transfer next year.

Actually, he did. He could have told AK that he was still his QB next year and things will be better. Certain faction here is convinced they know more than Fleck because, after all, he's just a used car salesman spouting B.S. Then, when PJ shows he might have a bit more substance than that, they still continue to look for chickenshit stuff.

And I get pissed as anyone over losing to Iowa and Wisconsin over the years or blowing a 3 touchdown lead to Northwestern in the last quarter or watching a series of runs up the middle. But if you can't see this guy isn't the best chance of us having a competitive program since God knows when you're either an idiot or you're letting a dislike of PJ's schtick blind you.
Overall you might have a point. This year if we changed coaching staffs with our opponents for game prep and game coaching we probably win 3 more games. He had a pathetic year.

FWIW - I see that Brosmer is one of the three finalists for the Walter Payton award - which is like the FCS version of the Heisman. so somebody - or more somebodies - thinks he is one of the best players at the FCS level.

on a different tangent - I saw a tweet from a guy who covers NDSU, claiming that multiple NDSU players have received "6-figure NIL offers" from FBS schools. believe it if you choose.

on a different tangent - I saw a tweet from a guy who covers NDSU, claiming that multiple NDSU players have received "6-figure NIL offers" from FBS schools. believe it if you choose.
Wouldn't surprise me at all from the big schools. It's basically like an NFL draft but you can pay your way to the top of the draft, and the 2nd spot, and the 3rd spot...

Nope, but the timing of how everything went down makes me pretty sure PJ told him that, at the very least, AK should expect that they were going to look at some alternatives.
I saw an article linking Brosmer to MN dated 11/24….the day BEFORE the Wisconsin game. I don’t think PJ had his difficult conversation with AK until he knew he had something else coming.

I have no clue if he can play in the Big Ten. But I did watch about 15 minutes of his highlights on YouTube couple nice things I noticed was he never underthrew receivers and he seem pretty confident and decisive making decisions take it for what it’s worth.

I have no clue if he can play in the Big Ten. But I did watch about 15 minutes of his highlights on YouTube couple nice things I noticed was he never underthrew receivers and he seem pretty confident and decisive making decisions take it for what it’s worth.
Was also interesting to see he can find receivers in the red zone.

Nope, but the timing of how everything went down makes me pretty sure PJ told him that, at the very least, AK should expect that they were going to look at some alternatives.
I agree with the latter. The former seems to be more of what GH loves to do. Guys only leave when we want them to and the new guy is “can’t miss”. AK was awful. Thank goodness we got an alternative besides a true freshman. The Gophers still would be better off if AK had stayed.

excited about this. However, New Hampshire was a bad team, played from behind a lot, possibly leading to inflated stats from the QB. Looks nice though, not afraid to step up and make a throw.

Fleck has said from the beginning that there would be an up and down track to progress. Perhaps if 2019 was an 8-5 year instead of 11-2, this year would have been easier to stomach for some!
It's not the 5-7 record that is the issue as much as how we achieved the 5-7 record. There will be up and down years. Fleck drawing it on a piece of paper doesn't make it more or less true.

It's a game plan to lose by less vs. try to win against tOSU and Meatchicken.

It's giving up 49 points to a Purdue team that scored 23.6% of their n conference points against us (11% of their conference games)

It was being 5-4 with games against Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, and tOSU and not finding a win to be legitimately bowl eligible - two of those teams not being bowl eligible, and Wisconsin being bowl eligible because we failed to compete, not because they were clearly better.

It was blowing a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter against Northwestern.

It's not just the record, it's how you got there.

I agree with the latter. The former seems to be more of what GH loves to do. Guys only leave when we want them to and the new guy is “can’t miss”. AK was awful. Thank goodness we got an alternative besides a true freshman. The Gophers still would be better off if AK had stayed.
I really doubt PJ ran off AK. But if you were a starter all year and found out they were bringing in someone that had a good chance to replace you, you might leave too. It's just how things are with the transfer portal now. QBs don't stay if they don't think they'll play. I agree that it would be nice to still have AK around.

Last edited:

excited about this. However, New Hampshire was a bad team, played from behind a lot, possibly leading to inflated stats from the QB. Looks nice though, not afraid to step up and make a throw.
Being able to execute when playing from behind is a valuable skill too, could've used it this year a few times. Heck, the early part of 2019 would've been different had we not been able to execute when behind either.

Looking a bit at UNH their pass to run ration was the same as our run to pass ratio.

UNH 60% Pass
MN 60% Run.

They utilized the TE and their TE's had about 25 more catches than MN.

Order of Catches for UNH
1. Running back let the team in catches at 68
2. 6'3" WR
3. TE with 39 Catches
4. 6'4" WR
5 6'2" WR

We don't have the same size at WR and interesting that the RB led the team in catches.
IMO Fleck was really hoping to pass much more this season. In our first game, against Nebby, we threw 64% of the time, ran 36%. And the third game, against NC, it was a 50/50 split. As it became more clear that AK wasn't all that good, we shifted to ever more running plays.

I really doubt PJ ran off AK. But if you were a starter all year and found out they were bringing in someone that had a good chance to replace you, you might leave too. It's just how things are with the transfer portal now. QBs don't stay if they don't think they'll play. I agree that it would be nice to still have AK around.
Sure, it'd be nice to have more depth at QB, but if AK was still on the team, I don't think Mythical Max would have come here. Given a choice of the two, I'll take the Max over AK.

It'll be interesting to see which team does pick up AK as there are a LOT of QBs in the portal that IMO will be selected above him, and if Dino gets picked up as a scholly player for any team.

The total list is now up to 50 now. I thought maybe AK would sneak in at the bottom. It's not easy to be a starting QB in the B1G. Does anyone know how many D-1 QBs are in the portal? Just interested to know. I do hope he decides to stay on and compete for the starting or backup job in 2024-2025. People get hurt all the time. Maybe he can learn some things from another four year starter (Tanner being the first). He could still transfer next year.
He's actually ranked 31st. Took On3 a little bit to give him a transfer ranking.

He's actually ranked 31st. Took On3 a little bit to give him a transfer ranking.
Thank you for the heads up! This is getting interesting. Our new guy, Max Brosmer, is now down to 19 while AK has moved up to 29th! Come on AK, stay and prove you can improve, and be the guy in a year or two.

Top Bottom