QB Max Brosmer of New Hampshire commits to the Gophers

Thank you for the heads up! This is getting interesting. Our new guy, Max Brosmer, is now down to 19 while AK has moved up to 29th! Come on AK, stay and prove you can improve, and be the guy in a year or two.
I see On3 has 90 QBs listed with Max at 15 and Athan at 32.

IMO Fleck was really hoping to pass much more this season. In our first game, against Nebby, we threw 64% of the time, ran 36%. And the third game, against NC, it was a 50/50 split. As it became more clear that AK wasn't all that good, we shifted to ever more running plays.
Fleck's first-half between-quarter interview at UNC was notable. He was asked about the offense and said something to the effect of "I like the game we're calling, there are plays there to be made, we just have to make them."

Agreed. Part of the reason they passed less this year is they lost faith in AK. Brosmer is rated 8th on On3 while AK is unrated with over 40 quarterbacks are listed. This is just another data point that AK struggled this year and Brosmer is likely to be a clear upgrade.

Keep in mind, Brosmer threw more interceptions than touchdowns his freshman year. Players generally improve over time. AK can get better. P5 programs just don't have the luxury of waiting anymore in the new transfer portal era because our competitors are not and it's hard to stack good quarterbacks. Instead, P5 teams are now just poaching already developed quarterbacks from the minor leagues - i.e. worse conferences in P5, G5 and FCS. We ripped Wisconsin for doing this last year and now here we are. It sucks, but it is what it is.
We didn’t rip Wisconsin for taking Mordecai who actually went from P5 (Oklahoma) to G5 back to P5. We just didn’t think he’d put up the same type of numbers that he did at the G5 level, and we were correct. I doubt Brosmer goes for 29 tds and 6 INTs 64% again, but if he can get like 21 tds to 7 INTs while over 60% we’ll likely win at least a couple more games.

Anyone concerned about Brosmer's ability to succeed at MN might be encouraged by checking his stats and highlights from high school, playing at the highest level (6A) of Georgia football. For example, his stats as a junior ranked him the 4th best QB in Georgia (Trevor Lawrence was ranked 8th). As a senior he was ranked 3rd in the state. Tate Rodemaker (FSU) was ranked 2nd; Brock Vandagriff (UGA) was ranked 5th.

Junior year - 3,750 passing yards
231/314 (73.6%)
30 TDs/11 INTs
QBR 130
Rushing 51/171/5

Senior year - 3,459 passing yards
212/315 (67.3%)
31 TDs/6 INTs
QBR 129
Rushing 70/618/2

Last edited:

Anyone concerned about Brosmer's ability to succeed at MN might be reassured by checking his stats and highlights from high school, playing at the highest level (6A). of Georgia football. For example, his stats as a junior ranked him the 4th best QB in Georgia (Trevor Lawrence was ranked 8th). As a senior he ranked 3rd in the state.

7,209 total passing yards in junior/senior years
Also, small sample size, but his stats against Central Michigan this year were quite good. Much better than what AK did against Eastern Michigan. I also won’t pretend to be an expert QB evaluator but his highlights I’ve watched so far are promising. Makes the easy throws and takes what the defense gives him, but also manages some pretty tight throws deep as well. Excited to see him in action.

In some sports (maybe different divisions), the coach might throw a recruit in with the current team for a little practice to get his current player thoughts. I wonder if that sort of thing is done here? I imagine it wouldn't take long for a good receiver to get a good handle on QB skills and vice versa.

In some sports (maybe different divisions), the coach might throw a recruit in with the current team for a little practice to get his current player thoughts. I wonder if that sort of thing is done here? I imagine it wouldn't take long for a good receiver to get a good handle on QB skills and vice versa.
I'm pretty certain that is not allowed in recruiting at the D1 level

We didn’t rip Wisconsin for taking Mordecai who actually went from P5 (Oklahoma) to G5 back to P5. We just didn’t think he’d put up the same type of numbers that he did at the G5 level, and we were correct. I doubt Brosmer goes for 29 tds and 6 INTs 64% again, but if he can get like 21 tds to 7 INTs while over 60% we’ll likely win at least a couple more games.

Yep, but needs some playmakers to throw to. Jackson is nice but beyond that it’s a question mark right now.

I really doubt PJ ran off AK. But if you were a starter all year and found out they were bringing in someone that had a good chance to replace you, you might leave too. It's just how things are with the transfer portal now. QBs don't stay if they don't think they'll play. I agree that it would be nice to still have AK around.
Sure - but all what PJ did or didn’t say is just guessing and I’ve seen nothing in 7-years to make me think things would go as PJ planned. The only post on here from someone who may know is from AK’s dad and everyone dismissed that - meanwhile we declare that Max could have “picked his school” and chose us! This place is for speculation, I get it and like it, this one is just so typical GH, that’s all.

Fleck's first-half between-quarter interview at UNC was notable. He was asked about the offense and said something to the effect of "I like the game we're calling, there are plays there to be made, we just have to make them."

Same thing after Jackson's amazing catch vs Nebraska on 4th down. Fleck mentioned there were two better opportunities on earlier downs that weren't completed and almost seemed more relieved than joyous that the 4th down was made.

GG described him as a 4-star, high-end game manager. Doesn't have a lot of the measurables, but very experienced and smart. If we went for more than that in the portal, we'd get out bid by the power programs.

Same thing after Jackson's amazing catch vs Nebraska on 4th down. Fleck mentioned there were two better opportunities on earlier downs that weren't completed and almost seemed more relieved than joyous that the 4th down was made.
The sheer volume of "plays not made" that were available this year was a punch in the gut game after game.

And even those made ... were often way more awkward than needed to be.

It wasn't just at QB, but QB was (and is always) the most noticeable place where it happened.

It was telling that I sometimes felt worse even after a TD this season, if only because that TD was there earlier, sometimes multiple times, and even the score was done poorly.

I felt for the coaches, they called game winning plays that were RIGHT THERE to be made, but players just couldn't do it. Very unusual considering past years under this staff.

Last edited:

GG described him as a 4-star, high-end game manager. Doesn't have a lot of the measurables, but very experienced and smart. If we went for more than that in the portal, we'd get out bid by the power programs.

Sounds like a good fit for the offense. We don’t need a Mike Vick or someone to make NFL throws all over the place for this offense to move the ball.

I was doing a bit more digging on Mythical Max, and liked this YouTube clip of one of his games last year. He's doing a lot of stuff that AK wasn't:
  • Going through the progression of his wide receivers and throwing the pass to the guy that's open (versus throwing to receiver 1 even if he's in double coverage).
  • Putting touch on the pass when it's needed, vs 100 mph fastballs on everything.
  • Being accurate with his passes - hitting receivers in stride.
The other item is that IMO he has a really quick release. A lot of QBs tend to have a bit of a wind-up in their passes, when he decides to throw it, it gets out of his hand really quick.

I was doing a bit more digging on Mythical Max, and liked this YouTube clip of one of his games last year. He's doing a lot of stuff that AK wasn't:
  • Going through the progression of his wide receivers and throwing the pass to the guy that's open (versus throwing to receiver 1 even if he's in double coverage).
  • Putting touch on the pass when it's needed, vs 100 mph fastballs on everything.
The other item is that IMO he has a really quick release. A lot of QBs tend to have a bit of a wind-up in their passes, when he decides to throw it, it gets out of his hand really quick.

That play there it looks like he looks for his first look, doesn't see what he wants, and KNOWS where his next guy should be and makes the call to throw FAST.

Nice to see. .. granted I have no idea how to evaluate QBs.

I love how they used the star running back #20 in the passing game.

Did we know that we paid him $216K?
IMG_2842.jpeg

That would be great but it would be the 2nd best season by a gopher QB in forever. If he can get to 60% and 18-10 I’d be satisfied.

That Brosmer clearly was not offered anywhere near $216k -- we sure as hell don't have anywhere near that much to offer a single player, probably let alone four players, and he still committed to us -- just shows you how bunk that formula is.

I'm pretty certain that is not allowed in recruiting at the D1 level
Alabama has been doing this for years. Bring in at mid year a QB similar to what they will see in their bowl game. Also receivers and/or tight ends.

Alabama has been doing this for years. Bring in at mid year a QB similar to what they will see in their bowl game. Also receivers and/or tight ends.
Do you mean bring in a recruit for a visit, or add a player to the team, mid-year?

Looks like a Tanner Morgan clone to me…which after last year is fine.
  • Doesn’t wow you physically. Average to underwhelming arm strength, but very accurate and decisive. Throws a very catchable ball.
  • Knows where he wants to go with the ball, and if it’s there, he throws before or on the break and doesn’t hesitate.
  • Comes off his first read quickly though, so he’s either a quick processor or this defense wasn’t very complex on the back end.
  • Throws off his back foot a LOT, but mostly on shorter stuff when he wants to get the ball out very quickly. I actually think this is a good thing. You see this a lot from NFL QB’s. If the flat route is wide open, they get it out quickly without setting up and let the athlete get going in space.
  • After watching this, I think the key will be how good the WRs are next year. They need a burner on the outside and/or need Brosmer to throw it up into 1:1 coverage more often to DJ, Brockington, and/or Spencer and see if they’ll come down with it ala 2019.

I really doubt PJ ran off AK. But if you were a starter all year and found out they were bringing in someone that had a good chance to replace you, you might leave too. It's just how things are with the transfer portal now. QBs don't stay if they don't think they'll play. I agree that it would be nice to still have AK around.
I think the vast, vast majority of fans are happy. They never have to consider whether to watch 8 play QB for us again.

If Fleck simply said “we have to bring in someone who closely resembles Tanner”, then perhaps that was it.

I like that he is from Georgia, quite frankly.

It’s just a different experience down there, a different passion and attitude towards football, from elementary school onward. Similar to how we do hockey here and in Canada.

Top Bottom