QB Max Brosmer of New Hampshire commits to the Gophers

I don't understand why he wouldn't have two years eligibility
With the COVID year you can have 6 years but you can still only play 4 seasons aside from 2020. He played 2019, (2020), 2022, 2023 and will play 2024. Why would he get a 7th year to play a 5th full season in 2025??

Brosmer appears to be a very smart person. So I assume he did some research on the MN program.
Don't get me wrong - it's a big "get" for the Gophers. But I have to admit I'm surprised. here's a guy who could seemingly have his pick of schools, and he chooses a program that is not known for having high-powered passing attacks.

So, I will pose the question: what did Fleck tell him to convince him to choose MN? were any promises made about opening up the offense, or throwing the ball more often? unless Fleck is the greatest salesman of all time, I don't see a QB with his credentials coming in here to hand the ball off 45 times a game.

It will be very interesting to see if the offense looks different next year - and I mean fundamentally different.

(there is one other option - some mysterious rich person gave Dinkytown Athletes an 8-figure donation, and they are handing out NIL like it was Halloween candy......)

Brosmer appears to be a very smart person. So I assume he did some research on the MN program.
Don't get me wrong - it's a big "get" for the Gophers. But I have to admit I'm surprised. here's a guy who could seemingly have his pick of schools, and he chooses a program that is not known for having high-powered passing attacks.

So, I will pose the question: what did Fleck tell him to convince him to choose MN? were any promises made about opening up the offense, or throwing the ball more often? unless Fleck is the greatest salesman of all time, I don't see a QB with his credentials coming in here to hand the ball off 45 times a game.

It will be very interesting to see if the offense looks different next year - and I mean fundamentally different.

(there is one other option - some mysterious rich person gave Dinkytown Athletes an 8-figure donation, and they are handing out NIL like it was Halloween candy......)
Every school is a very good QB away from a high powered passing attack.

Well not Iowa , but everyone else is.

I would think Minnesota is excellent for pre-med. They will get residencies / hospital teaching time somewhere.

US News Ranking for Medical School:

View attachment 28768
The U of MN has steadily improved their national ranking in both primary care and research. They have developed a number of innovative programs to promote primary care to address the national shortage. Mayo is annually ranked in the top 3 hospitals in the US but they have their own residencies and with limited GME dollars I think that partnership is unlikely.

I respect his decision. Honestly reminds me a lot of Morgan in stature and style. Not a big guy, looks like maybe a little better athlete. Smooth and quick delivery, very productive in high school and college, stats suggest good accuracy. Strong enough arm. Seems smart, grounded in his interview. A+ Good job PJ

Last edited:

I dont like when this happens but it was a VERY short window from end of season, announcing transfer, AK leaves, Max commits, have to think most knew this was going to happen before the season was up. Again, happens all the time so I guess is what it is.

The portal taketh away, the portal giveth.
circle-of-life-lion-king.gif

With the COVID year you can have 6 years but you can still only play 4 seasons aside from 2020. He played 2019, (2020), 2022, 2023 and will play 2024. Why would he get a 7th year to play a 5th full season in 2025??
Can you figure out why an Oregon player received a waiver for a 9th year? The NCAA is all over the place these days!

I can't tell if Brosmer will be a good power 5 QB or not, I hope he will be. What I do think is interesting is one of two things almost has to be true with regards to the Gophers recruiting Max. Either the staff looked at film of Max immediately after he entered the portal (or was looking at film of a bunch of potential grad transfers during the season) and made an immediate offer for him to be our starting QB in '24 without waiting to see who else would become available OR the Gophers contacted Max (and perhaps others) before he entered the portal to gauge interest and talk about a potential opportunity at Minnesota. In this case, I hope it was the latter (even if it is "illegal") as that shows more due dillegence and preparation on the Gophers part going in to '24.

I guess a 3rd option is also possible where Max knew going in to this season that he would look to jump to the Power 5 if he had a good season and he was the one sending out feelers to potential schools prior to entering the portal.

This came together incredibly quickly and Minnesota's name was attatched to the process before an offer was even public much in the way the Duke QB is already heavily linked to Notre Dame or Brad Johnson's kid is already headed to UNC. I think it's a positive that we are likely playing the game...

The U of MN has steadily improved their national ranking in both primary care and research. They have developed a number of innovative programs to promote primary care to address the national shortage. Mayo is annually ranked in the top 3 hospitals in the US but they have their own residencies and with limited GME dollars I think that partnership is unlikely.
Dont tell people on the basketball board...they are not big fans of Minnesota trying to improve itself as a school ;)

Ya know what is great about Minnesota Fans? (and the 'Hole in general) Many were convinced that Bosmer wouldn't come here because he was too good, other schools had money and our system sucks. Now he is coming here and some seem to be implying he isn't that good because he is coming here. Never change Minnesota!

Many were convinced that Bosmer wouldn't come here because he was too good, other schools had money and our system sucks. Now he is coming here and some seem to be implying he isn't that good because he is coming here. Never change Minnesota!
Doomers will find the negative in any scenario. If Brosmer turns out to be the best QB in Gopher history, somebody will decide that it means that Drake will transfer because he didn’t get any playing time or some shit.

Doomers will find the negative in any scenario. If Brosmer turns out to be the best QB in Gopher history, somebody will decide that it means that Drake will transfer because he didn’t get any playing time or some shit.
Then they would blame PJ for Drake leaving and give all credit to Bosmer for winning!

The Ba/Md program is pretty awesome, hopefully it grows.

So if a good qb costs between 1 and 2 million did a new collective suddenly pop up called the PeeJ collective and just happened to have that amount?

I never heard of him saying he had a position on that.
A month or so ago on his radio show, Grimm started to ask him about the possibility of a transfer QB in the portal and he immediately shot that down, saying something like: We don't want to go that way, we prefer to develop quarterbacks.

A month or so ago on his radio show, Grimm started to ask him about the possibility of a transfer QB in the portal and he immediately shot that down, saying something like: We don't want to go that way, we prefer to develop quarterbacks.
Yeah but I don't think that means what you said.

Everyone would rather just offer and keep everyone... and when you say it ... also gotta be careful.

I can't tell if Brosmer will be a good power 5 QB or not, I hope he will be. What I do think is interesting is one of two things almost has to be true with regards to the Gophers recruiting Max. Either the staff looked at film of Max immediately after he entered the portal (or was looking at film of a bunch of potential grad transfers during the season) and made an immediate offer for him to be our starting QB in '24 without waiting to see who else would become available OR the Gophers contacted Max (and perhaps others) before he entered the portal to gauge interest and talk about a potential opportunity at Minnesota. In this case, I hope it was the latter (even if it is "illegal") as that shows more due dillegence and preparation on the Gophers part going in to '24.

I guess a 3rd option is also possible where Max knew going in to this season that he would look to jump to the Power 5 if he had a good season and he was the one sending out feelers to potential schools prior to entering the portal.

This came together incredibly quickly and Minnesota's name was attatched to the process before an offer was even public much in the way the Duke QB is already heavily linked to Notre Dame or Brad Johnson's kid is already headed to UNC. I think it's a positive that we are likely playing the game...

I have no inside knowledge but I've venture a guess that the coaches all have "contacts" with various scouting firms and recruiting services to do the necessary dirty work without them being accused of tampering. In this scenario, PJ and his coordinators probably has a few "consultants" or "recruiting services" on retainer. These consultants and their employees spend all season scouting the players, evaluating the camps, interviewing the players, etc., So at any moment Fleck can call them up and say "I'm looking for a portal QB that would fit my needs." (insert joke here about our offensive scheme) Consultant would know almost immediately who a good candidate would be and what their level of interest is and could put out more feelers. Once the player officially declares he likely already knows what his options are and what level of interest is there.

This would be for the higher graded guys or certain key positions. Just my guess.

Great pickup, if you’re going the one year route it’s pretty nice to get someone with so much experience. I don’t know what his ceiling would be, but seems like his floor would be pretty high. Hard to imagine him being a complete disaster.

At the time the QB room looked very different so of course he was going to say that.

Dont tell people on the basketball board...they are not big fans of Minnesota trying to improve itself as a school ;)

Ya know what is great about Minnesota Fans? (and the 'Hole in general) Many were convinced that Bosmer wouldn't come here because he was too good, other schools had money and our system sucks. Now he is coming here and some seem to be implying he isn't that good because he is coming here. Never change Minnesota!
This isn't just a gopherhole thing it is the internet in general. There are lots of people out there that are only happy when they are unhappy and complaining. So they find the negative angle on everything.

I’ve seen a couple posts claiming he “had lots of offers” and could “pick his spot”. Is that true? Last I saw he didn’t have any offers from P5 teams. Maybe that was outdated?

I never heard of him saying he had a position on that.
Peej stated he'd prefer to build QBs from high school vs the portal a few times.

He also said he was going to build the program "the right way" not through transfers. In fairness this was in "year zero" so it doesn't count.

Peej stated he'd prefer to build QBs from high school vs the portal a few times.

He also said he was going to build the program "the right way" not through transfers. In fairness this was in "year zero" so it doesn't count.

It doesn't count because the transfer portal didn't exist.

I’ve seen a couple posts claiming he “had lots of offers” and could “pick his spot”. Is that true? Last I saw he didn’t have any offers from P5 teams. Maybe that was outdated?
I think it is tough to say because things are so fluid with the portal and really haven't taken off yet. What we do know is he is regarded as one of the top QB prospects available in this transfer cycle so it would stand to reason that he would have quite a few options if he let things play out some.

At this point we will never know because he picked us very quickly which is awesome!

I have no inside knowledge but I've venture a guess that the coaches all have "contacts" with various scouting firms and recruiting services to do the necessary dirty work without them being accused of tampering. In this scenario, PJ and his coordinators probably has a few "consultants" or "recruiting services" on retainer. These consultants and their employees spend all season scouting the players, evaluating the camps, interviewing the players, etc., So at any moment Fleck can call them up and say "I'm looking for a portal QB that would fit my needs." (insert joke here about our offensive scheme) Consultant would know almost immediately who a good candidate would be and what their level of interest is and could put out more feelers. Once the player officially declares he likely already knows what his options are and what level of interest is there.

This would be for the higher graded guys or certain key positions. Just my guess.

This is how it works. Independent player development centers, basically unaffiliated coaches, often act as a concierge in these cases too. This is the way it's worked in basketball for a long time where AAU coaches often fit that role.

Let's rebuild this thing!
Rebuild?

It's year eight.....

I hope Max is everything we need. Of course I wanted to see 2019 Tanner Morgan grow if not at least maintain what he appeared to be in 2019. He got Webbered instead.

I wanted to see AK build of the promising end to 2022. That didn't turn out either. Fortunately we gave nearly zero reps to any other QB.

Unless and until PJ lets his coaches coach, not sure the talent of the QB matters.

Top Bottom