QB Max Brosmer of New Hampshire commits to the Gophers

I'm glad we got a starter. I hope he turns out to be good at the B1G level. We still need a back up, who knows how durable this guy will be against p5 defenseman.

I would take anything fleck says to the media with a grain of salt. The portal seems to be the best way to get QB's right now. No penalty transfers have completely changed the face of recruiting.

Brosmer appears to be a very smart person. So I assume he did some research on the MN program.
Don't get me wrong - it's a big "get" for the Gophers. But I have to admit I'm surprised. here's a guy who could seemingly have his pick of schools, and he chooses a program that is not known for having high-powered passing attacks.

So, I will pose the question: what did Fleck tell him to convince him to choose MN? were any promises made about opening up the offense, or throwing the ball more often? unless Fleck is the greatest salesman of all time, I don't see a QB with his credentials coming in here to hand the ball off 45 times a game.

It will be very interesting to see if the offense looks different next year - and I mean fundamentally different.

(there is one other option - some mysterious rich person gave Dinkytown Athletes an 8-figure donation, and they are handing out NIL like it was Halloween candy......)
If by "fundamentally different" you mean an offense that scores TDs when in the red zone, one that can get first downs to run out the clock when ahead, and one that can succeed on third and one 96% of the time, I'm all with you.

Peej stated he'd prefer to build QBs from high school vs the portal a few times.

He also said he was going to build the program "the right way" not through transfers. In fairness this was in "year zero" so it doesn't count.
He probably would prefer to build with QBs from high school as opposed to the portal but it became a necessity so he did what he had to.

Your other line is complete BS though. When he first started he didn't want to go the quick fix transfer heavy route but that isn't to say that using the portal now is the "wrong way" to do things and they have been using the portal for years so clearly he isn't against it.

I know I am wasting my time replying to you because your stance on Fleck is very clear at this point but you are really reaching on this one.

I'm glad we got a starter. I hope he turns out to be good at the B1G level. We still need a back up, who knows how durable this guy will be against p5 defenseman.

I would take anything Any Head Coach says to the media with a grain of salt. The portal seems to be the best way to get QB's right now. No penalty transfers have completely changed the face of recruiting.

Fixed it.;)

Peej stated he'd prefer to build QBs from high school vs the portal a few times.

He also said he was going to build the program "the right way" not through transfers. In fairness this was in "year zero" so it doesn't count.
I think every HC would "prefer" that.

I don't think you're second sentence has ever tied those two ideas together.

I like a good dinner, I also will happily scarf down dominoes pizza, it doesn't mean the two are the same or even conflict.

In the last 2 years the sample size of QBs making the jump from FCS to FBS is limited. Near as I can tell, here's what I found.

Cameron Ward (ranked 5th among transfer QBs)
2021 (Incarnate Word): 4648 yards, 47 TD, 10 INT
2022 (Wash State): 3231 yards, 23 TD, 9 INT
2023 (Wash State): 3735 yards, 25 TD, 7 INT

Tony Muskett (ranked 24th among transfer QBs)
2022 (Monmouth): 1997 yards, 17 TD, 8 INT
2023 (Virginia): 1031 yards, 6 TD, 5 INT

Shedeur Sanders (ranked 4th among transfer QBs)
2022 (Jackson State): 3732 yards, 40 TD, 6 INT
2023 (Colorado): 3230 yards, 27 TD, 3 INT

Max Brosmer (ranked 810th among transfer QBs)
2023 (New Hampshire): 3459 yards, 29 TD, 6 INT

Matthew Sluka (ranked 1213th among transfer QBs)
2023 (Holy Cross): 1723 yards, 20 TD, 5 INT

Last edited:

Every school is a very good QB away from a high powered passing attack.

Well not Iowa , but everyone else is.
Agreed. Part of the reason they passed less this year is they lost faith in AK. Brosmer is rated 8th on On3 while AK is unrated with over 40 quarterbacks are listed. This is just another data point that AK struggled this year and Brosmer is likely to be a clear upgrade.

Keep in mind, Brosmer threw more interceptions than touchdowns his freshman year. Players generally improve over time. AK can get better. P5 programs just don't have the luxury of waiting anymore in the new transfer portal era because our competitors are not and it's hard to stack good quarterbacks. Instead, P5 teams are now just poaching already developed quarterbacks from the minor leagues - i.e. worse conferences in P5, G5 and FCS. We ripped Wisconsin for doing this last year and now here we are. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Agreed. Part of the reason they passed less this year is they lost faith in AK. Brosmer is rated 8th on On3 while AK is unrated with over 40 quarterbacks are listed. This is just another data point that AK struggled this year and Brosmer is likely to be a clear upgrade.

Keep in mind, Brosmer threw more interceptions than touchdowns his freshman year. Players generally improve over time. AK can get better. P5 programs just don't have the luxury of waiting anymore in the new transfer portal era because our competitors are not and it's hard to stack good quarterbacks. Instead, P5 teams are now just poaching already developed quarterbacks from the minor leagues - i.e. worse conferences in P5, G5 and FCS. We ripped Wisconsin for doing this last year and now here we are. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Yeah if you watch the play calling as the year went on ... and eventually that Wisconsin game. There were clearly passing plays designed to be as easy as possible on the QB, but of course that's a yin and yang as those are easy to defend.

I think it is tough to say because things are so fluid with the portal and really haven't taken off yet. What we do know is he is regarded as one of the top QB prospects available in this transfer cycle so it would stand to reason that he would have quite a few options if he let things play out some.

At this point we will never know because he picked us very quickly which is awesome!
OK. Thanks, I was honestly just curious who else offered as all I saw was W-MI and W-KY. In the end I don’t really care as all that matters is how he performs next year.

It's not like PJ had any choice in the matter.
Actually, he did. He could have told AK that he was still his QB next year and things will be better. Certain faction here is convinced they know more than Fleck because, after all, he's just a used car salesman spouting B.S. Then, when PJ shows he might have a bit more substance than that, they still continue to look for chickenshit stuff.

And I get pissed as anyone over losing to Iowa and Wisconsin over the years or blowing a 3 touchdown lead to Northwestern in the last quarter or watching a series of runs up the middle. But if you can't see this guy isn't the best chance of us having a competitive program since God knows when you're either an idiot or you're letting a dislike of PJ's schtick blind you.

In the last 2 years the sample size of QBs making the jump from FCS to FBS is limited. Near as I can tell, here's what I found.

Max Brosmer (ranked 8th among transfer QBs)
2023 (New Hampshire): 3459 yards, 29 TD, 6 INT

Matthew Sluka (ranked 12th among transfer QBs)
2023 (Holy Cross): 1723 yards, 20 TD, 5 INT
His ranking is lower than 8th. It's 10th this morning after two more QBs hit the portal and will likely continue to change.

Rebuild?

It's year eight.....

I hope Max is everything we need. Of course I wanted to see 2019 Tanner Morgan grow if not at least maintain what he appeared to be in 2019. He got Webbered instead.

I wanted to see AK build of the promising end to 2022. That didn't turn out either. Fortunately we gave nearly zero reps to any other QB.

Unless and until PJ lets his coaches coach, not sure the talent of the QB matters.
Fleck has said from the beginning that there would be an up and down track to progress. Perhaps if 2019 was an 8-5 year instead of 11-2, this year would have been easier to stomach for some!

I’ve seen a couple posts claiming he “had lots of offers” and could “pick his spot”. Is that true? Last I saw he didn’t have any offers from P5 teams. Maybe that was outdated?
He had an offer from Wake Forest.

Ha - yes, great plan. I'm afraid he has the same offensive plan he always has had, and thus he brings in a I-AA guy without a lot of options...

Oh, I think this guy had a lot of options. More than a few decent NFL quarterbacks played at PCS schools.

His ranking is lower than 8th. It's 10th this morning after two more QBs hit the portal and will likely continue to change.
It literally just changed after I posted it but point taken. The stats don't lie though. Take it for what it's worth.

And before all the rule changes

Brosmer appears to be a very smart person. So I assume he did some research on the MN program.
Don't get me wrong - it's a big "get" for the Gophers. But I have to admit I'm surprised. here's a guy who could seemingly have his pick of schools, and he chooses a program that is not known for having high-powered passing attacks.

So, I will pose the question: what did Fleck tell him to convince him to choose MN? were any promises made about opening up the offense, or throwing the ball more often? unless Fleck is the greatest salesman of all time, I don't see a QB with his credentials coming in here to hand the ball off 45 times a game.

It will be very interesting to see if the offense looks different next year - and I mean fundamentally different.

(there is one other option - some mysterious rich person gave Dinkytown Athletes an 8-figure donation, and they are handing out NIL like it was Halloween candy......)
Athletes have different motivations for choosing a program. Maybe positioning himself to be in the best place to reach his dream (being an orthopedic doc) takes priority over a bigger NIL deal and a better rated passing scheme for one year.

It just feels good to have Max committed here. Having hope for good QB play! Combats some of the Nancy Negativeness around here in the last two-three weeks. And Darius and DJ are back!
Are you suggesting that signing Max should eliminate concerns one has about PJ? Did anyone think he wouldn’t sign a QB in the portal?

Top Bottom