***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS BIG TEN OPENER IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

In year 8 it’s still obvious that Pitino has no idea how to construct a big ten caliber roster. Does anyone know what style of play he aims for when he’s recruiting? Unfortunately it may be a month before this team wins a game.
If they play like this it might be next year before we win a game

In year 8 it’s still obvious that Pitino has no idea how to construct a big ten caliber roster. Does anyone know what style of play he aims for when he’s recruiting? Unfortunately it may be a month before this team wins a game.
Firmly disagree on the mechanism of failure. This roster has talent. It’s one game, first test, we’ll see if they improve. But it’s not a lack of players/skills IMO.

That’s as embarrassing as it gets.

Have to be overjoyed with any conference win as it appears there won’t be that many of them.

Last edited:

Firmly disagree on the mechanism of failure. This roster has talent. It’s one game, first test, we’ll see if they improve. But it’s not a lack of players/skills IMO.
I agree. Not saying the gophers have elite talent or anything, but with a good coach this should've been a competitive game, maybe a 10-15 point loss. Not a 35 point blowout.

Limited practice time is not the issue. Stop it. This team is very simply horrible. Losing by 35 points???????
Sure!! 10000% It’s not your point...you think a new coach can walk in and fix it this season.
That’s a pretty difficult thing unless it was Belein or somebody elite like him.

Basically need transfers once again. The cupboard is going to be completely empty at PF.
Well with Liam’s play so far this year it’s pretty safe to say he won’t be leaving for the NBA. Chet can have that PF position all to himself.

Shooting was not the problem ... saw this coming a mile away ... no offensive ball movement for 6 games and this is what it looks like when you play a Big Ten team.

Also,some absolutely terrible defense to go with it.

Almost no shots taken based upon offensive rhythm. For those who don’t think that’s VERY important your going to frustrated for very long time if Pitino stays.

I agree with this. The best offenses move well without the ball. We just flat out don’t do that and that is not on the players. High screen and roll and then Carr dribbling around and then trying to hero ball is going to get Coach P fired. As much as I hate Indiana (especially Dakich) I think Archie runs an offense that would suit MN really well. Lots of movement, ball reversals, and attacking the backside of the defense. I really like Pitino but it’s clear that he is not the answer. He actually has recruited pretty well. We have to start over while MN is still a hot bed of talent because we could be a sleeping giant if you get the right coach in here. Oh, and Gabe has to sit; Mutaf needs more burn!

Well with Liam’s play so far this year it’s pretty safe to say he won’t be leaving for the NBA. Chet can have that PF position all to himself.
Liam is not an NBA player IMO. Who the heck is he going to guard???

LOL, that game went so far south on the Gophers that they ended the game in tierra del fuego...

With the backlash from cutting sports, I think its highly unlikely we could fire Pitino, but man its fun to think what guys like Mutaf, Ihnen, Robbins, could be which a coach like Belein who actually have an offensive system

With the backlash from cutting sports, I think its highly unlikely we could fire Pitino, but man its fun to think what guys like Mutaf, Ihnen, Robbins, could be which a coach like Belein who actually have an offensive system
Perfect time to shop for a new head coach.

Shooting was not the problem ... saw this coming a mile away ... no offensive ball movement for 6 games and this is what it looks like when you play a Big Ten team.

Also,some absolutely terrible defense to go with it.

Almost no shots taken based upon offensive rhythm. For those who don’t think that’s VERY important your going to frustrated for very long time if Pitino stays.
*no offensive ball movement for 3 years*

I seriously don't understand how a D1 college coach can base his entire offense around a pick and roll. Our offense looks like a pick-up game of 40 year olds, with much worse shot selection. Why can't we move off the ball? Run an offensive set? Anything? I'm sick of praying that someone is just going to get hot one night. That's not a way to win games in the B1G.

Nice game Gach. Come to play next time. Gabe can’t hit a shot through a hula hoop. He sucks

*no offensive ball movement for 3 years*

I seriously don't understand how a D1 college coach can base his entire offense around a pick and roll. Our offense looks like a pick-up game of 40 year olds, with much worse shot selection. Why can't we move off the ball? Run an offensive set? Anything? I'm sick of praying that someone is just going to get hot one night. That's not a way to win games in the B1G.

I don't really think the pick and roll part of it is the problem, tons of offenses start with that action. The problem is that's the entirety of the offense. Either that or an outdated high-low between two bigs.

The big problem is the other three guys. They aren't moving, creating space, and are rarely cutting. When they are, it's often some weird action where the 4 goes to the block (thus bringing another post defender down low).

The other problem is that Carr dribbles way too much. He should get into the action and start moving the ball around. We would be a much better team if he dribbled 30% less. In his defense, no one is moving or cutting, so there aren't many better options to pass.

Our offense sucks.

“Now!” Kinda implies this season to me.
Let me be clear - get rid of RP. Yes, now.

Hire a new coach in the spring. Let the new coach start over, as that is what it will take. I am NOT expecting a new guy to fix it now, on the fly.

I don't really think the pick and roll part of it is the problem, tons of offenses start with that action. The problem is that's the entirety of the offense. Either that or an outdated high-low between two bigs.

The big problem is the other three guys. They aren't moving, creating space, and are rarely cutting. When they are, it's often some weird action where the 4 goes to the block (thus bringing another post defender down low).

The other problem is that Carr dribbles way too much. He should get into the action and start moving the ball around. We would be a much better team if he dribbled 30% less. In his defense, no one is moving or cutting, so there aren't many better options to pass.

Our offense sucks.
MN offense is a blessing for the opposition!!!! So easy to defend.

Our offense sucks.
It is a read and react offense ... read the pass and react ... PG dribbles and dribbles - everyone stands still. Need to move the ball for anything to open up!

Very easy to see this happening if the ball comes down the court and no one makes a pass.

Top Bottom