***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS BIG TEN OPENER IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Yeah, will be really interesting how he develops as the year progresses. See glimpses from all of these guys that make me think this team has a chance to be very good, but probly not illinois good. Seemed like we just lost confidence in ourselves once illinois punched back. Started quick shooting which led to a lot of runouts. When we got a chance to setup, I thought our half court defense was pretty good other than the kofi mismatch and gach mistakes.

Well, if you aren't Illinois good, then expect 3-4 wins in conference this year. Illinois is a fine team, but they are middle of the Big Ten pack.

Exactly. Volumes of data for decades on how unsuccessful programs became successful in a sustainable way. You must play elite defense. In every single case of a power 6 program that rose from mediocrity to conference championships, to multiple 30 win seasons and on and on, they played great defense. Every great coach thinks this way. Some are simply special teachers, that is why they are special. Teams will be what they can learn and execute. Pre-scouting in recruitring, recruiting are a huge part of what will fit what you teach. Then how well they do what is taught and how well you do it as a team. Few can do this at a high level, that is how special they are. In taking down blue bloods, who always have better talent, cheaters and rising above them from mediocrity is extraordinary. Most fans of this program would be thrilled by 11-9 records year after year, a trip to the sweet 16 every 4-5 years. I want conference titles, conference tourney titles, final 4's.
I'm with you on this. Need to play great defense, rebound and play hard. Those 3 things alone will make you competitive. You don't have to have elite talent. What you do need is drive and determination.

It starts with recruiting a few guards that play the game the right way. We need to model this program after Wisconsin. This is the only way we will win. SMART, DISCIPLINED, TEAM play is the only way you win here.

I am surprised Pitino hasn't been able to figure this out yet. The writing is on the wall. When your talent level is not as good as the other teams in your conference, you have to make up for it by playing harder and smarter than they do.

This is actually coaching 101. No one should be this dumb. Sorry boys, you just aren't good enough to win on talent alone.

That game was ugly, I turned it off in second half. Their guard and big man just dominated our players. Everyone ragging on Pitino but I don't think there is anything he could do, they had superior talent. We need a couple guys getting hot from 3 to have a chance against them.

This is actually a terrible way to think.

This is the reason our teams don't do well here. Talent is a big part of it when you compare being good and great, but you can be good with lesser talent if you do things right. This program doesn't do things right.

Their mindset is such that if they get down to a team that is more talented, higher ranked, etc that they just give up.

Also, no one said they had a great chance. But getting just absolutely murdered is unacceptable. Keep the game within 10 and give yourself a chance at the end. That is all you can ask for sometimes, but it should be a requirement EVERY time.

Every season, I put my team at midcourt, tell them which basket is ours and ask, "Which end of the court do almost all our points originate from?"

Every year, without fail, my best player for the season is the one player who points to the defensive end. That kid will lead the team in points, rebounds, steals and set the tone for the entire team without question.

Pitino would point at the offensive end.

He just doesn't seem to value defense. (except for Gabe I guess)

Steal the ball, push it up court, attack the basket, score or get fouled.
Make them shoot a bad shot, box out, rebound, push, attack, score.

It's an easy game. You catch the ball, you dribble the ball, you pass the ball, you shoot the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it's canceled by COVID.

Last edited:

One break that Pitino and the Gophers got here is the break in the schedule. If Pitino wants to keep his job, he got all the evidence he needs that there is a complete overhaul needed of the way this team plays on both ends. There is no denying it on the part of the players either.

The Illinois game was a disheveled mess on offense and defense. If Pitino has it within him to modify their offense to get the ball moving, and get players into the right spots - there is enough talent to win.
If they pitch up another game like this against Iowa, it is just possible that they finish out the season with an assistant coach Conroy or Linstad coaching the balance of the year.

Top Bottom