***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS BIG TEN OPENER IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
The Big Ten gauntlet is here and starts off vs a really tough Illini team. Gone are the days of back to back games vs Loyola Marymount. Gone are the days of Robbins dominating vs the Kangaroos. Time to toughen up. Tighten up the turnovers. Crash the boards. Strap on the chinstraps and get after it.

GET 'ER DONE PITINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for the game to start. It certainly will give us an indication of how the season could play out. Will be interesting to see how Robbins does in the big league. If we play great team defense we might be able to squeak out a victory here.

I’ve got a bad feeling Cockburn is gonna get Robbins in foul trouble and eventually kill us in the paint, but I’ll hope for the best. Brandon Johnson is still out, right?

I’ve got a bad feeling Cockburn is gonna get Robbins in foul trouble and eventually kill us in the paint, but I’ll hope for the best. Brandon Johnson is still out, right?
I'd be surprised if he plays but there was some talk that he's better than expected.

I agree about Cockburn...Robbins is going to have the jitters with it being his first Big Ten game. I bet we see a lot of Omersa tonight.

Was hoping this was going to be a trap game, but losing to Missouri wrecked that. Tough tough match up for us. I don't foresee it going well tonight.

Robbins needs to walk up and not leave his feet make Cockburn shoot over a 7 footer. If he makes the shot fine just don’t foul or try and block it and get out of position.

They need to mix up the defenses as soon as Cockburn dribbles once to make his move double hard.

I still think Illinois comes in looking past the Gophers to their big tilt this weekend against <gulp> Rutgers. I can't believe I wrote that with a straight face.

Gophers will still have a chance to shock the Illini, too bad Pitino hasn't developed Freeman for the use of his five fouls this year. At the very least he could lean on Cockburn for 5-8 minutes. Take some of the load. Omersa just isn't tall enough and won't stay on the floor(not jump) to be effective.

Illinois would be the smaht money.

I kind of have a feeling the Gophers are going to make a statement tonight. I don't know why, but I think they are going to play the Illini very tough and have a good chance of pulling the upset.

I just feel it in my bones. (and it has nothing to do with Gabe's shooting)

A year ago today there was a court storming after we beat then #1 Ohio State. I watched my video of that this morning. Seeing all those people pressed together seemed a little alarming. Realizing I was there was weird. Not being able to exert my usual influence on the home games' outcomes is going to be hard on me.

In order to keep it close, here are the musts for the game...

1) Robbins is able to stay on the floor... OR get Cockburn in foul trouble.
2) Old Gabe shows up... OR Tre and Mash both play really well tonight.
3) Keep the rebounding margin closer than expected. Illinois is a much better rebounding team than we are.
4) Stick like glue on Miller. He's their lefty freshman sharp-shooter.
5) Hold Dosunmu to less than 20 points.

Love the optimism from some of you, but I'm just not seeing it tonight. Stay within respectable distance all game, handle the physicality well, and I'll be somewhat satisfied.

A year ago today there was a court storming after we beat then #1 Ohio State. I watched my video of that this morning. Seeing all those people pressed together seemed a little alarming. Realizing I was there was weird. Not being able to exert my usual influence on the home games' outcomes is going to be hard on me.

There is going to be people for many years suffering from a type of post covid stress disorder in regards to large crowds gathering, being near people, etc.

My wife and I discuss this often. We have both been home full-time since March 1st. Never anticipated STILL being home. But we'll watch movies or TV shows and see people walking into a crowded bar and it gives us pause. Very weird feeling as I've been in (way too many) crowded bars for so many of my best days as a sports fan (or just in general)

In order to keep it close, here are the musts for the game...

1) Robbins is able to stay on the floor... OR get Cockburn in foul trouble.
2) Old Gabe shows up... OR Tre and Mash both play really well tonight.
3) Keep the rebounding margin closer than expected. Illinois is a much better rebounding team than we are.
4) Stick like glue on Miller. He's their lefty freshman sharp-shooter.
5) Hold Dosunmu to less than 20 points.

Love the optimism from some of you, but I'm just not seeing it tonight. Stay within respectable distance all game, handle the physicality well, and I'll be somewhat satisfied.
Not seeing it? How can you not?

All we need is:

A good game from Carr. No problem.
A good game from Gach. No Problem.
A good Game from Ihnen. No Problem.
A good Game from Robbins. No problem.
A good game from Mashburn. No Problem.
A good Game from Williams. No Problem.
A decent game from Curry. No Problem.
Five fouls from Omersa. No Problem.
A decent shooting night from Gabe. Houston, we may have a problem.

Seriously though, if we have a good shooting night and play good solid D we could easily beat a team looking ahead to Ron Harper Jr. and Rutgers.

In January this year we lost 59-51 to Illinois. Gophers got better. Illinois hasn't changed a whole lot. They were overrated in the preseason, and Gophers were underrated. Gophers win this one by a few.

If Gabe's 3s start falling our backcourt is dynamite and we are a much better team. Gotta happen.

If Gabe's 3s start falling our backcourt is dynamite and we are a much better team. Gotta happen.

If my aunt had different plumbing she'd be my uncle.

Gabe attempted 6.9 3s per game in the conference last year, connecting on 29.9%. As a freshman he attempted 4.7 3s per game in the conference, connecting on 43%.

I'd like to see Gabe continue to attack the basket. Its been his most efficient way to score. Nearly 40% his points this year have come at the line. Up from 13% as a freshman and 8.5% as a sophomore. I think the threat of him driving may give him more space to shoot, which should help his %. It may not, he could be broken. I had a book as a kid about a dude who could fix everything but a broken heart. Maybe hire him to be Gabe's shooting coach?

If my aunt had different plumbing she'd be my uncle.

Gabe attempted 6.9 3s per game in the conference last year, connecting on 29.9%. As a freshman he attempted 4.7 3s per game in the conference, connecting on 43%.

I'd like to see Gabe continue to attack the basket. Its been his most efficient way to score. Nearly 40% his points this year have come at the line. Up from 13% as a freshman and 8.5% as a sophomore. I think the threat of him driving may give him more space to shoot, which should help his %. It may not, he could be broken. I had a book as a kid about a dude who could fix everything but a broken heart. Maybe hire him to be Gabe's shooting coach?

These days your uncle might surprise you. Hopefully Gabe surprises us tonight - by making 3s :) .

You can still rush your TV set...

we are going to have to shoot better then the 29% we do from 3 point range. Lets get Gabe a good wide open look for him to burry early and it will be raining threes all night

Lets play lockdown defense. They are very beatable. 4-2, color me not impressed. They were not sound against Missouri.

Robbins needs to walk up and not leave his feet make Cockburn shoot over a 7 footer. If he makes the shot fine just don’t foul or try and block it and get out of position.

They need to mix up the defenses as soon as Cockburn dribbles once to make his move double hard.
Don’t leave your feet. Wall up! You leave your feet you give up rebound position

Top Bottom