***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS BIG TEN OPENER IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Shooting was not the problem ... saw this coming a mile away ... no offensive ball movement for 6 games and this is what it looks like when you play a Big Ten team.

Also,some absolutely terrible defense to go with it.

Almost no shots taken based upon offensive rhythm. For those who don’t think that’s VERY important your going to frustrated for very long time if Pitino stays.
Lots of us would do different things than Pitino. We complain about last year. We were 8 and 12. Of those 12 losses 8 were by 8 points or less. 1,2,3,5 points and a two overtime’s loss. We don’t get blown out very often in past years.
This is game one. No argument we sucked and our offense was garbage. But shoot the ball normal. Gach plays near average and its competitive with the crappy offense and crappy defense. Maybe we even rebound with some things going better shooting. Nothing more depressing than missing shots you expect to make all night long.

Lots of us would do different things than Pitino. We complain about last year. We were 8 and 12. Of those 12 losses 8 were by 8 points or less. 1,2,3,5 points and a two overtime’s loss. We don’t get blown out very often in past years.
This is game one. No argument we sucked and our offense was garbage. But shoot the ball normal. Gach plays near average and its competitive with the crappy offense and crappy defense. Maybe we even rebound with some things going better shooting. Nothing more depressing than missing shots you expect to make all night long.
This team will start 0-4 in the B10 and also play a very good St Louis team....This game is not an anomaly...they are terrible....That Boston College team that took us to OT....Lost by 38 to Syracuse.

Took a step forward:
Robbins, Curry, Kalscheur, Mutaf

Treaded water:
Johnson, Williams

Took a step back:
Carr, Mashburn, Ihnen

Focus on next game:
Gach

This team will start 0-4 in the B10 and also play a very good St Louis team....This game is not an anomaly...they are terrible....That Boston College team that took us to OT....Lost by 38 to Syracuse.
Ya, ya, the schedule is horrific. 0 and 8 wouldn’t be unexpected. A billion per cent they gotta play better. It could happen we beat somebody. It could happen we make some adjustments. I’m pretty sure we’ll shoot better a couple nights at least.
Let’s play em one at a time and see what happens.

Ihnen 1-8
Gach 0-9
Marcus 3-13
Johnson 1-8
Mashurn 1-7

Damn it Gabe!
You couldn’t make those shooting percentages up by that group...nobody would believe you.
We’ll do better.

The Gophers ran into a first round draft pick who is a man among boys in Kofi Cockburn. Cockburn put a beat down on Oturu last year. We had to know it wouldn't be pretty tonight. Other than Garza, the Gophers won't face another great big man again in the B1G. Kids need to have a short memory and move on.

It was our first road game. We played a team ranked 13th that is probably much better than that. One of our lead scorers in Gach, had a terrible night. The team as a whole shot terrible. It was a really bad game. Write it off and move on, the team probably learned a lot tonight so I’m glad it happened.

Reading some of the alarmist posts on here, you’d think we were ranked higher than IL going into this game. The amount of complaining and bitterness is pathetic. It’s one game. It’s becoming almost comical how triggered some are by the hint of a negative outcome and begin rage posting about Pitino or lamenting with doomsday posts about the gophers season being over. We had a very easy 6-0 leading up to conference play. I didn’t expect a smooth transition overnight into Big Ten play, especially with our first game against IL.

It was our first road game. We played a team ranked 13th that is probably much better than that. One of our lead scorers in Gach, had a terrible night. The team as a whole shot terrible. It was a really bad game. Write it off and move on, the team probably learned a lot tonight so I’m glad it happened.

Reading some of the alarmist posts on here, you’d think we were ranked higher than IL going into this game. The amount of complaining and bitterness is pathetic. It’s one game. It’s becoming almost comical how triggered some are by the hint of a negative outcome and begin rage posting about Pitino or lamenting with doomsday posts about the gophers season being over. We had a very easy 6-0 leading up to conference play. I didn’t expect a smooth transition overnight into Big Ten play, especially with our first game against IL.
This is the exact reason the Gopher basketball program sucks.

Most disappointing to me is the truly horrific defense. Of course we are near 10th or 11th in defense in the conference nearly every year. We have a terrible record when giving up 75 much less 92. Everyone hammers on Gabe but Gach was so bad on both ends.

I am just getting tired of the pity party for Gabe by the announcers every game. It is getting really sad. Just let him fade back into obscurity - no need to keep hyping him up

This is on Pitino ... our style of play was the same tonight as it was the first 6 ...
Most disappointing to me is the truly horrific defense. Of course we are near 10th or 11th in defense in the conference nearly every year. We have a terrible record when giving up 75 much less 92. Everyone hammers on Gabe but Gach was so bad on both ends.
Agree ... if you said that Gabe would hold Ayo to about 4 points (I believe that's how many he got with Gabe on him) and Gabe would get 9, you'd probably take that.

Shooting is not the problem???? Your kidding me - Good teams make threes even when closely guarded - we would call them bad shots but we can not make open threes at all or even free throws Wisconsin makes threes every good team does Get some shooters!!!

Pitino is now 48-83 in the B10....Monson and Tubby were fired with less time and better records...Please go on about it's only one game though...It's fascinating.

Guys guys guys. Pitino isn’t to blame here...

I turned the game on at the gym. The Gophers were up I believe 16-10 at the time. I proceeded to watch them shoot 1-18 or whatever it was up until and finished off the half. It was the first game I was able to watch live so I ran with it.

This one is on me fellas. This one is on me.

A common defense of Pitino seems to be that we have a bad shooting night and thats not his fault. By now there is enough game data to conclude we are a horrific three point shooting team, so why isn’t our offense being adjusted accordingly? Having guys stand around on the perimeter like the Houston Rockets while Carr tries to be James Harden doesn’t work for most teams, especially when we shoot 29 percent from three.

A well coached team would utilize the above average athleticism of the the team and emphasize cutting and finishing at the rim. Ihnen for example is used as a spot up shooter frequently. The dude is 6,9 with legit length, but it doesn’t look like his dribble drive game was developed at all over the offseason. I don’t even think I’ve seen him dunk yet. What a waste of talent.

These responses are always the best. It’s as if Pitino hasn’t been here for the past 7 seasons. His tenure has been pretty much the same with a couple of outliers.

We know who he is and we know what the basketball program at the U is under his watch. It really is that simple.

How many games did Tubby have where we were ever down by 30+ points? Monson? Clem? This is the 2nd time that's happened just at Illinois in the last 3 years. There's losing and there's getting humiliated.

A common defense of Pitino seems to be that we have a bad shooting night and thats not his fault. By now there is enough game data to conclude we are a horrific three point shooting team, so why isn’t our offense being adjusted accordingly? Having guys stand around on the perimeter like the Houston Rockets while Carr tries to be James Harden doesn’t work for most teams, especially when we shoot 29 percent from three.

A well coached team would utilize the above average athleticism of the the team and emphasize cutting and finishing at the rim. Ihnen for example is used as a spot up shooter frequently. The dude is 6,9 with legit length, but it doesn’t look like his dribble drive game was developed at all over the offseason. I don’t even think I’ve seen him dunk yet. What a waste of talent.
When it counts, it doesn't work for Houston!

He got his 2 points off a dunk assisted by Gabe.

Coach Pitino; did you get a new moniker??

I thought this was the toughest game on the schedule, I didn't expect the Gophers to win. It sucks to lose, but 0-1 with a loss at Illinois is not the end of the world. It's how we lost that is so discouraging. Lots of talk about the Gophers shooting percentage tonight, not much about them giving up 92 points. It was a massacre on both ends of the floor.

Things started unbelievably well for the Gophers from a shooting standpoint with Robbins going 2-2 from 3 and Curry banking in a jumper while Illinois started ice cold from the free throw line. This resulted in an early 18-10 lead for the Gophers. A worst case scenario from that point should have them trailing by no more than 5 entering halftime. What happened from there was utterly ridiculous. Illinois gets the next 6 points. Timeout Pitino. Illinois ties the game then a media timeout. So it's an 8-0 run at that point. It gets to a 14 or 16-0 run for an Illinois lead of 24-18 or 26-18 before Eric Curry(!) hits a top of the key 3. Then it gets to a 22-3 run where it's now 32-21 Illinois and Pitino still hasn't used another timeout! We were an Eric Curry 3 away from a 22-0 run against us. We were taking terrible rushed shots, giving up offensive boards left and right, and generally getting our butts kicked and Pitino just let it go. What makes this more concerning is there was no crowd, so they shouldn't be "shook". The guys can clearly hear instructions from the bench, yet nothing changed during this run and there was no second timeout...this leads me to believe Pitino simply had no answers?

I’m so pissed that Pitino forced Gach to go 0-9 and only get 1 point from the line. Ugh.

Top Bottom