*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS/MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD ***

We're actually playing pretty well...

Our Offense is keeping our Defense off the ball enough to keep MSU out of rhythm they just need to finish drives...

I cannot understand the db not playing the ball. Iirc Michael carter played the ball. I'd really like the db coach to explain why they are instructed to not turn towards the ball. It is a major issue and is keeping our defense from reaching the next level. Turnovers are key, obviously.

It's easy to say that the db's should play the ball, but much more difficult to do. You see the same thing in the NFL. When playing straight man-to-man and you have a quick receiver burning down the sidelines, you need to keep up and make sure that you keep between them and the ball. Not terribly easy to play both the receiver and the ball simultaneously.

The offense would likely have scored points against Wisconsin if not down by 14. They had to go for it, instead of attempting the FG. I have expectations, and this team has exceeded all of them this year. I can finally say that I've seen a win against Nebraska- hadn't been able to say that before. Wins against NW, Penn State, and Ind were nice. I thought we'd have a tough time moving the ball against Wisc, but I also thought they'd run much better against us then they did. I thought we'd have a very tough time moving the ball against Mich State. We are definately a work in progress on offense, but defense has been outstanding. My point it the "Nelson blows" comments or the calling for Leidner after a couple of off throws are too much and they are tiresome.

Oh, and I WILL continue watching with realistic expectations and enjoy the incredible progress they have made.

I hear you. I have been very happy with our results this year as well. I just wanted to point out that we DO need to score some points to keep up with some of the better teams. Going three and out puts a lot of stress on the defense. I never said that the flip-flopping between Leidner and Nelson is warranted. I would definitely put that in the pissing and moaning category.

Dbs can sense when the ball is near by watching their man and get their head arounds. Don't pretend it is an impossibility. It's one thing if they just aren't experienced enough to do it. It's another thing if they're not working towards this ability in the future.

Ok, I've seen enough of Nelson to realize that he's not going to be a "great" QB. He'll just be average, like Weber. Leidner has been a let down also.

It's weird to call Leidner a 'let down' when not even he expected to play QB for us. Every snap he plays there he'll have further exceeded most people's expectations.

I think if we score two touchdowns, I'll be satisfied win or lose. This Michigan State team is really good, if we can show some adjustments and put up 14 more I'll be happy.

Great job so far but let's face it, this team is severely hamstrung against great defenses because of our lack of receivers. We have no down field threat anymore. If we win this game just give Kill & co. national coach of the year.

Dbs can sense when the ball is near by watching their man and get their head arounds. Don't pretend it is an impossibility. It's one thing if they just aren't experienced enough to do it. It's another thing if they're not working towards this ability in the future.

I don't think anyone said it was impossible. I am saying that it is MUCH easier said from the couch than when you actually have to perform. People complain about the receivers not turning around, yet at the same time, they rip the d-backs when they get burned. It's all about positioning, and I would take a d-back getting in between the receiver and the ball over risking a mistake resulting from the d-back playing the ball rather than his man.

They played Michigan and Wisconsin well in the First Half of both games. Let's finish the game the way they did against PSU and Nebraska.

It's easy to say that the db's should play the ball, but much more difficult to do. You see the same thing in the NFL. When playing straight man-to-man and you have a quick receiver burning down the sidelines, you need to keep up and make sure that you keep between them and the ball. Not terribly easy to play both the receiver and the ball simultaneously.

D-Backs have been watching their receiver and then glancing back when their man did for many years. Whether they should or not is the argument, not whether it can be done.

D-Backs have been watching their receiver and then glancing back when their man did for many years. Whether they should or not is the argument, not whether it can be done.

I understand that. If the d-back is running in stride with their receiver, sure. If they are a step or two behind, they need to catch up and defend rather than be too concerned about the ball. You see some of the best d-backs on the best teams have the same issues at times.

Schooled us on that drive. Their receivers were way too open.
Can't have a three and out.

Can't just give them 20 yards per pass play. On the edge of blowout if we can't get a good drive here.

Hopefully the offense can put together a nice drive here.

Wrong, our DBs play super well but for getting their heads turned around. It's likely coached that way and that's stupid; proven to not work.

Wrong, our DBs play super well but for getting their heads turned around. It's likely coached that way and that's stupid; proven to not work.

Well if that is the way it is being coached, I don't understand it.

I understand that. If the d-back is running in stride with their receiver, sure. If they are a step or two behind, they need to catch up and defend rather than be too concerned about the ball. You see some of the best d-backs on the best teams have the same issues at times.

Agreed. Just that it seems that more and more college teams are going to the "DON'T LOOK!" defense because face-guarding isn't against the rules in college.

Agreed. Just that it seems that more and more college teams are going to the "DON'T LOOK!" defense because face-guarding isn't against the rules in college.

Hmmm. Yeah I don't get it if that's the case. If you are in position to play the ball, you should.

Would be really nice to see us drive one in.

Top Bottom