*** OFFICIAL GOPHERS/MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD ***

to be fair... those type of QB's come once in a blue moon...

i mean outside of maybe Braxton Miller who really in the Big Ten is a "scary" QB?

"Scary" how? You might get some different answers today.

Nothing to be ashamed of from this game... we need better receivers. Our QB's need to get better. We ran good against the number one defense. Proud of the Gophers!

Three trips to their 10 yard line.

3 points.

1 point per visit.

Grr.

Nothing to be ashamed of from this game... we need better receivers. Our QB's need to get better. We ran good against the number one defense. Proud of the Gophers!

Moral victory then?

8-4
I'm cool with that record, it's better than 7-5 I predicted at the beginning of the season.
We could end up 9-4 with a bowl win...

The year-over-year improvement in our defense is astounding. We give up a long run from time-to-time and the whole DB getting their heads around to see the ball can be perplexing, but our tackling is off the charts and our guys play hard from the start to the finish every game. A lot of the articles this week where Kill talked about how he admires Dantonio and how he built the program D first sure has played out. Let's hope that we can develop enough balance on O to help us get to the next level. Impossible to win the "big" games with our passing O as completely ineffective as it is against these better teams. A lot of work to put in to get our passing O to a point where it's even a bit of a threat.

Moral victory then?

An 11 point loss against a team that probably should have been undefeated and beat every other B10 team they played by double digits. We left a bunch off points off the board. I think we had a pretty good showing.

I'm not too worried about our receivers. Our top 3 guys are all freshmen in Jones, Wolitarsky, and Williams. They'll improve for next year.

Passing game was a threat during the 4-game winning streak and in the 1st Half or so against Michigan. It was non-existent in the B1G losses.

Wonder about the Bowl Game?

Fantastic regular season, not had this much fun watching the Gophers in a long time.

Our defense is very close to being very, very good. Our offense is very close to being acceptable. It's clear we are just a few good players away from being a top tier football team. Very good year and look forward to learn where we play on New Year's Day!

The problem with Limegrover is he puts our inept QBs in situations where the defense knows we are going to pass with young WRs that isn't good. His play calling the red zone was pathetic and this isn't the first game this has been a problem.

An 11 point loss against a team that probably should have been undefeated and beat every other B10 team they played by double digits. We left a bunch off points off the board. I think we had a pretty good showing.

Call it a Moral Victory if you like and the "D" played very well, but a loss where you only put-up 3 points after a game where your Offense got shut-out doesn't feel very good. A game where you have the ball for 38:41 seconds against 21:19, 2:14 of which came after you turned it over on downs, and only get one FG feels downright bad.

Now looking at the overall season it was a very good year. The last two games have made it feel less so.

I was actually kind to Campion compared to his performance today. Even here in the post game highlights they showed two plays with him getting whupped and our QB ending up on the ground. Just a very, very poor game by him and four or five or six drive killing plays where his guy beat him clean and blew up the play. I thought overall our OL came out and punched Michigan State in the mouth about as well any team could, but for our RT.

Call it a Moral Victory if you like and the "D" played very well, but a loss where you only put-up 3 points after a game where your Offense got shut-out doesn't feel very good. A game where you have the ball for 38:41 seconds against 21:19, 2:14 of which came after you turned it over on downs, and only get one FG feels downright bad.

No looking at the overall season it was a very good year. The last two games have made it feel less so.

+100

Now looking at the overall season it was a very good year. The last two games have made it feel less so.

We had some mistakes and the offense couldn't capitalize. We had opportunities to win this game, which is good. But I think that this team is noticeably better than last year.....and even from earlier this year. I don't think this 8 win season was a fluke and we could have won a couple more.

The offense did some great stuff against the MSU defense….for example it kept their offense off the field by having the ball 39 minutes vs. 21 minutes. That kept our defense fresh and their offense off the field. Sure we had some turnovers against the #1 defense…but they turned the ball over to us twice too. We had a freshman come off the bench and march the ball down the field with some incredible throws to other freshmen on 3rd down. This entire offense is coming back…including Cobb who was once again a 100+ yard rusher for the day. Anyone who isn't proud of these kids hasn't been part of a successful team that built itself from scratch. We are going to be awesome next year and we will win our bowl game and be 9-4 for the year. This has been the best year ever to be a gopher fan….twice as enjoyable for those of us with realistic expectations that were wildly surpassed the day we beat Nebraska.

Also a shout out to our defense which made MSU 0-8 on third down and 0-1 on fourth! WOW:)

The problem with Limegrover is he puts our inept QBs in situations where the defense knows we are going to pass with young WRs that isn't good. His play calling the red zone was pathetic and this isn't the first game this has been a problem.

^+1

That's my biggest complaint. For the most part, Limegrover has changed his play calling style ever since the Michigan game, but today, he resorted back to it. We started the game with some creative play calling, and then shut down and played the run game... and we ran pretty well, but on the occasions that counted... he resorted to the safe calls again. Jones and M. Williams are going to be great, and Cobb is great... we need the QB and other receivers to step up. Drew looks good too, but they are all young. I am excited for next year!

Top Bottom