Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen Koi Perich play, but I would guess that if he went to Ohio State, he would not play for a few years. Just my guess.
He is a top 100 player, so potentially could see the field earlier.

Nope. Burns likely knew this news and was upset with Wiltfong's delivery. Burns is a huge "let the kids have their moment" guy. He knew Koi's news was coming out today on his own
The kid had his moment when he announced it the first time. I don't think he needs a "don't worry I'm not changing my mind" moment as well.

The kid had his moment when he announced it the first time. I don't think he needs a "don't worry I'm not changing my mind" moment as well.

So why is Koi having a signing ceremony at his school if wasn't interested in an official announcement/confirmation? What would be the purpose of inviting the public to come out?

(Also who put you in charge of alotting how many moments an 18-year-old is allowed with a life-changing decision?)

Furthermore, if you are on 247, you know that Burns repeatedly is aware of kids committing for days and weeks and sits on it so the kid can break their own news. Wiltfong basically blew that all up with his tweet from an OSU source

So why is Koi having a signing ceremony at his school if wasn't interested in an official announcement/confirmation? What would be the purpose of inviting the public to come out?

(Also who put you in charge of alotting how many moments an 18-year-old is allowed with a life-changing decision?)
signing ceremonies at schools are very common and happen all the time. The school picking (hat thing) is something different.

The fact that Koi never decommitted to me is what makes me think Wilfong is correct and he is going to sign here. It would be a massive jerk move to be verbally committed to your home state school and then to pull a last second switchero to go somewhere else on signing day. I wouldn't expect a small town Minnesota kid to do something like that.

That said, in this day and age it is impossible to feel overly confident about anything recruiting wise unless a guy does what Mason Carrier did and is very vocal about what they plan to do.

Furthermore, if you are on 247, you know that Burns repeatedly is aware of kids committing for days and weeks and sits on it so the kid can break their own news. Wiltfong basically blew that all up with his tweet from an OSU source
I don't think it's Wiltfong's obligation to sit on a story for Ryan Burns.

Should he let the kid have his moment on signing day? Maybe. I probably would. But the game has changed into a business.

Nope. Burns likely knew this news and was upset with Wiltfong's delivery. Burns is a huge "let the kids have their moment" guy. He knew Koi's news was coming out today on his own

That makes more sense. I got worried by the look on a tv character he chose to post. But back in the happy camp now.

I have never seen Koi Perich play, but I would guess that if he went to Ohio State, he would not play for a few years. Just my guess.
This comment made me think. Koi is just an average recruit for OSU. If you're a high level, but not out of this world prospect, do you have to be careful about going to a blue blood program where they have so much depth, you might not even see the field or, if you do, you might be a Jr or Sr before doing so? They certainly aren't going to pay special attention to you. You're just a number.

On the other hand, you come to the U of M and the staff is focused on you, getting you to the pros is very important to them because they only get a few each year if they are lucky. You'll likely start early. Your NIL might even be better because, again, you're the focus of the program and potentially your state, not just a guy. If you're good, the NFL will find you!

We don't seem to win with guys like Koi very often. They can't resist the allure of the blue blood. Is this potentially another sign of NIL and the portal actually helping more evenly distribute talent? Malachi Nelson, #1 QB recruit in 2023, is in the portal from USC and it appears because of competition there. Just another example of how hard it is to stack up talent vs. in the past.

The top teams will still have an awesome starting 22, but less depth. Teams below the top will have a better starting 22, but also less depth. Starters for non-elite teams should be better because of their ability to relatively overspend in NIL to keep a few key guys at home in recruiting, and the ability to bring in portal players to fill in weaknesses in their starting lineup that were either backups someplace else that was deeper or are leveling up in program? If true, this should increase annual variability at almost all levels because losing a few key players to injury will blow up a teams year more than previously.

Historically, believe it or not, the #1 factor in one's decision-making process in selecting a college... is distance from home.

Now we can all agree that the ground under our feet is shaking... and things - such as the 'business' of college football - are changing at warp speed.

But maybe Koi just wants to be 2-1/2 hours from home for the foreseeable future?!?!

And maybe the NIL package was bumped up?

That makes more sense. I got worried by the look on a tv character he chose to post. But back in the happy camp now.

Burns clarified further. Said he searched for an "Oh!" GIF and Jim from The Office came up. Said it was news to him and he just wants to see it across the finish line before he celebrates or writes about it. Did say twice that he is not doubting Wiltfong or his source and things are trending very positively for Minnesota.

Craig McD certainly didn’t make it on the field in any meaningful way at any of those positions, so who knows. Good thing he was ruled eligible on Sept 25.

It'll be interesting to see if Koi grows into a LBer or the Henderson hybrid position.
I was wondering the same thing. Already 6'1" and 200-ish pounds. Could be a freakishly athletic linebacker.

18 year old me would want it, as would most 18 year old males.

He is a top 100 player, so potentially could see the field earlier.
Quinn Ewers was the #1 recruit in the country. He went to Ohio State and never played
(other than 2 snaps at the end of a game). I know he got a large NIL check, but he was the #1 recruit in the country, not a top 100 recruit, and he did not play.
Ewers then transferred to Texas, and is having a great career.

Quinn Ewers was the #1 recruit in the country. He went to Ohio State and never played
(other than 2 snaps at the end of a game). I know he got a large NIL check, but he was the #1 recruit in the country, not a top 100 recruit, and he did not play.
Malachi Nelson entered the portal today. He was the number 1 recruit.

Ewers might not be the best example given that he reclassified to graduate early, and Ohio State had that C.J. Stroud guy playing QB and rumor is he was pretty good. Plus QB is a bit of a different animal.

But you are right that being top 100 doesn't guarantee a kid like Perich will be ready to play right away, but it does greatly improve the chances that he will be. Always a crap shoot though in terms of how quickly guys can adjust to the college game and it will be a big jump from small town Minnesota football to the Big Ten.

Top Bottom