Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

When you get to the U of M every player is good and there is no guarantee no matter how good you are that you will get on the field.

When you get to Ohio State every player is really, really, really good and there is no guarantee no matter how good you are that you will get on the field.

Malachi Nelson is a 2023 recruit.
Quin Ewers was a 2022 recruit who reclassified into the 2021 class. He reclassified because Texas does not allow NIL for HSers.
Correct.
My point was that you can be the #1 recruit in the country, and not immediately play at a football powerhouse. Caleb Williams went to Oklahoma and played behind Spencer Rattler, until Rattler imploded. Ewers did not play at Ohio State, after being the #1 player in the country. Koi Perpich being a top 100 player, may not play for a few years at Ohio State (IF he went there) was my original point. I stand by that.

on the 247 B1G team recruiting rankings for 2024

Ohio State has 22 commits listed: Five 5* - Twelve 4* - four 3*

MN has 20 commits listed: No 5* - Two 4* - Eighteen 3*

At OSU, Perich would be one of many really good athletes.

at MN, Perich would be the centerpiece of the recruiting class.

what option does he prefer? I guess we'll find out later this week.

***disclaimer - once upon a time, a playing signing an national letter of intent was considered final.
then Dennis Evans showed that - while rare - it's not 100% final.

Correct.
My point was that you can be the #1 recruit in the country, and not immediately play at a football powerhouse.
Originally you said:
I have never seen Koi Perich play, but I would guess that if he went to Ohio State, he would not play for a few years.

Not play immediate and not play for a few years are quite different claims.

I am hoping he stays committed and we can build the D around him. Our good track record with Safeties has to be promising.
I was going to say the same thing. Winfield was a 2nd round choice and Nubin also falls comfortably in the late-1st to mid-2nd round range. Add Howden into the mix as a Day 3 pick and our success with developing safeties looks very solid.

Curious to see how they deploy him. As BobLoblaw pointed out, various schemes can be employed to make a player like Perich effective all over the field.

I don't think it's Wiltfong's obligation to sit on a story for Ryan Burns.

Should he let the kid have his moment on signing day? Maybe. I probably would. But the game has changed into a business.
Signing day ceremony is as much for the school as for Koi. Biggest thing in Esko maybe ever.

No chance. He’s an athletic freak will be a DB regardless of his size.
Freak is a relative term. He is NOT freakishly fast. His 10.89 second 100m might make him really fast for Minnesota, but would have placed him last in Georgia's 2023 7A state championship.

1703012079729.png

https://ga.milesplit.com/meets/552225-ghsa-7a-state-championships-2023/entries

If he has NFL asperations, maybe he bulks up to a hybrid or linebacker position. Sam LaPorta is considered an extremely athletic TE in the NFL. He played WR and DB in high school, but was bulked up and converted to TE at Iowa.

Last edited:

Malachi Nelson is a 2023 recruit.
Quin Ewers was a 2022 recruit who reclassified into the 2021 class. He reclassified because Texas does not allow NIL for HSers.
Ewers transferred to Texas from tOSU.

Freak is a relative term. He is NOT freakishly fast. His 10.89 second 100m might make him really fast for Minnesota, but would have placed him last in Georgia's 2023 7A state championship.

View attachment 29062

If he has NFL asperations, maybe he bulks up to a hybrid or linebacker position. Sam LaPorta is considered an extremely athletic TE in the NFL. He played WR and DB in high school, but was bulked up and converted to TE at Iowa.
Those are some crazy times for HS kids. Not to downplay your point, but wonder how many of those kids are also stud football players? I agree with your point, he isn't freakishly fast for a track athlete.

You can be Troy Williamson and run a 4.32 or Jerry Rice and run a 4.71.

Those are some crazy times for HS kids. Not to downplay your point, but wonder how many of those kids are also stud football players? I agree with your point, he isn't freakishly fast for a track athlete.

You can be Troy Williamson and run a 4.32 or Jerry Rice and run a 4.71.
True. I just feel like people are maybe getting a little over their skis for him because he's home grown and was on the freaks list. Who knows how good he'll be? I hope very good!

I had to look up his name, Jason Kaspner, big Minnesota QB prospect in the late 90’s. He chose Michigan over Minnesota, they were loaded at qb, but he wanted to play in the Rose Bowl. Career was 5-10 passing. This could be a similar deal, Im sure he’s good with his decision, making friends and all that, but you gotta wonder if he had to do it over again….

View attachment 29062

I don’t think football cares about your 100M time. Because they don’t.

View attachment 29062

Not really a fair comparison. He ran this first week in June after a Minnesota spring. And a 13 week season.

Those kids ran it first week in May after a Georgia spring and a 16 week season.

If he had trained for 16 weeks in warm weather he would have a faster time.
If the state track meet was the third week of June instead of the first week he would probably run a faster time.

on the 247 B1G team recruiting rankings for 2024

Ohio State has 22 commits listed: Five 5* - Twelve 4* - four 3*

MN has 20 commits listed: No 5* - Two 4* - Eighteen 3*

At OSU, Perich would be one of many really good athletes.

at MN, Perich would be the centerpiece of the recruiting class.

what option does he prefer? I guess we'll find out later this week.

***disclaimer - once upon a time, a playing signing an national letter of intent was considered final.
then Dennis Evans showed that - while rare - it's not 100% final.
Big fish 🐠 in a small pond or small fish 🐟 on a big pond

True

Also some of those 100m guys could never be football players.

Right. Perich is a great player and athlete. Maybe not world class track speed but plenty of guys lack that and have great college and pro careers at various positions.

Side note: Randall McDaniel ran a 10.64 100m. Yes. That Randall McDaniel. Also a 50.04 in the 400. Insanity.

Not really a fair comparison. He ran this first week in June after a Minnesota spring. And a 13 week season.

Those kids ran it first week in May after a Georgia spring and a 16 week season.

If he had trained for 16 weeks in warm weather he would have a faster time.
If the state track meet was the third week of June instead of the first week he would probably run a faster time.
Hey, believe me, I hope you're right!

This comment made me think. Koi is just an average recruit for OSU. If you're a high level, but not out of this world prospect, do you have to be careful about going to a blue blood program where they have so much depth, you might not even see the field or, if you do, you might be a Jr or Sr before doing so? They certainly aren't going to pay special attention to you. You're just a number.

On the other hand, you come to the U of M and the staff is focused on you, getting you to the pros is very important to them because they only get a few each year if they are lucky. You'll likely start early. Your NIL might even be better because, again, you're the focus of the program and potentially your state, not just a guy. If you're good, the NFL will find you!

We don't seem to win with guys like Koi very often. They can't resist the allure of the blue blood. Is this potentially another sign of NIL and the portal actually helping more evenly distribute talent? Malachi Nelson, #1 QB recruit in 2023, is in the portal from USC and it appears because of competition there. Just another example of how hard it is to stack up talent vs. in the past.

The top teams will still have an awesome starting 22, but less depth. Teams below the top will have a better starting 22, but also less depth. Starters for non-elite teams should be better because of their ability to relatively overspend in NIL to keep a few key guys at home in recruiting, and the ability to bring in portal players to fill in weaknesses in their starting lineup that were either backups someplace else that was deeper or are leveling up in program? If true, this should increase annual variability at almost all levels because losing a few key players to injury will blow up a teams year more than previously.
You think a top 10 safety with Michigan, FSU, and USC offers is just an average recruit for the Buckeyes?
Good grief!

Top Bottom