Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

That must have been someone else.

My vacation from Gopherhole started just after Louisville bribed away Evans. I've never been in favor of this....in fact, if you remember, I used to refer to it as a Sleaze Fund.
Have you seen how bad Evan’s has been at Louisville. Not sure the gophers are missing much.

getting way off topic here - but on Evans, sometimes you recruit on potential. and sometimes coaches misjudge the potential of athletes, or misjudge how long it might take to develop that potential.

that is true in FB just the same as in hoops.

getting back to Perich. He looks like an excellent prospect. But if he winds up at MN, he is still coming from a small town to a D1 P5 program. I would be very surprised if he was able to become an immediate contributor. so don't be disappointed if he is not starting or starring right off the bat. Jordan Howden looked lost when he began to get playing time. Now, he's starting in the NFL. every player develops at a different rate.

getting way off topic here - but on Evans, sometimes you recruit on potential. and sometimes coaches misjudge the potential of athletes, or misjudge how long it might take to develop that potential.

getting back to Perich. He looks like an excellent prospect. But if he winds up at MN, he is still coming from a small town to a D1 P5 program. I would be very surprised if he was able to become an immediate contributor. so don't be disappointed if he is not starting or starring right off the bat. Jordan Howden looked lost when he began to get playing time. Now, he's starting in the NFL. every player develops at a different rate.
Excellent post

@btowngopher why wouldn't you go on OV's to all three of those, if indeed they've given him bona fide offers and are offering to host him?

What is Fleck going to do? Rescind our offer to the top prospect in the state? He should be fired, if he did

Why not go out to those places and have fun, on their dime?

@btowngopher why wouldn't you go on OV's to all three of those, if indeed they've given him bona fide offers and are offering to host him?

What is Fleck going to do? Rescind our offer to the top prospect in the state? He should be fired, if he did

Why not go out to those places and have fun, on their dime?
I dunno, maybe the same reason people don’t go on those trips where you have to go listen to a time share sales pitch.

The one saving grace of 23 will be if PJ can keep his recruiting class in place particularly how he closed the borders in Minnesota. I’ll believe it when I see it.
I worry more about the potential flood of transfers. I think there is a reason for PJs endless obsession with NIL and depleated roster comments. He probably knows some who are as good as gone already GHa wil meltdown w

I worry more about the potential flood of transfers. I think there is a reason for PJs endless obsession with NIL and depleated roster comments. He probably knows some who are as good as gone already GHa wil meltdown w

That's quite an indictment of Fleck no matter how you read it. Which was probably the purpose anyway

If y.ou're worried about a potential "flood of transfers" that means that Fleck has recruited quite a few 3 & 4 star players that other schools can't wait to get on their rosters.

If that's so then, looking at how they played this year, Fleck has been an absolutely horrible coach getting so little out of so much talent.

As for Gopher Hole having a complete breakdown? You know the trolls will still be hear.

Oh and we'll have another 30-40 Jerry Kill threads to keep busy.

Perrich is a great athlete, that translates no matter where you come from.

Just keep in mind we need about 20 guys to transfer to have scholarships for the freshmen and NIL transfer upgrades. 90% plus of our transfers previously were encouraged to move on...hopefully, this year follows the same course.
The only difference is PJ's inability to suck it up on criticism so he makes shit up about all the guys who left who would have been stars here. BS! But, he is planting seeds in the minds of this years team to try somewhere else because they know the coach is not telling the truth.

I'd LOVE it if the non-paying teams formed their own conferences. I'd LOVE a new Big Ten without Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, & Nebraska. Let them go join with Georgia, Alabama, USC, & Oregon.
This is, in essence, what is happening to Washington St. and Oregon St. in 8 months.
The 'elite teams' in the Pac 12 are headed for greener pastures in August, where the media rights deals are much more favorable (Big 10, Big 12, and even the ACC).

The result is that the two teams left behind, Washington St. and Oregon St., will see their annual media rights checks reduced from $30 million/year to just $3 million/year. :eek:

Your scenario above could well happen - eventually - but it will not be your 'non-paying' teams who will make the decision. It will be the heavyweights who conclude that the revenue generators will no longer share that revenue, but rather will keep the revenue.

I'd LOVE it if the non-paying teams formed their own conferences. I'd LOVE a new Big Ten without Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, & Nebraska. Let them go join with Georgia, Alabama, USC, & Oregon.

That would kill all non revenue sports at Minnesota and at all the other universities stupid enough to join them.

That would kill all non revenue sports at Minnesota and at all the other universities stupid enough to join them.
I'm not trying to be cruel, but why shouldn't all non-revenue generating sports be treated like club teams? Am I missing a reason why that would be a bad thing?

This is, in essence, what is happening to Washington St. and Oregon St. in 8 months.
The 'elite teams' in the Pac 12 are headed for greener pastures in August, where the media rights deals are much more favorable (Big 10, Big 12, and even the ACC).

The result is that the two teams left behind, Washington St. and Oregon St., will see their annual media rights checks reduced from $30 million/year to just $3 million/year. :eek:

Your scenario above could well happen - eventually - but it will not be your 'non-paying' teams who will make the decision. It will be the heavyweights who conclude that the revenue generators will no longer share that revenue, but rather will keep the revenue.
I think we could still get a good TV contract if a bunch of other non-paying P5 teams joined this new league. These are major Universities with huge fan followings.

If we advertise it as REAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL...we might even beat the paying-school league in the ratings.

But regardless of Evans' play....this will show Coach Johnson that he shouldn't even try to recruit 5-stars. It's a waste of time, as they will be bribed away.
If it took losing Evans for Johnson to realize that other teams will be offering NIL opportunities to 5 star recruits, you really don't think much of him.

I think we could still get a good TV contract if a bunch of other non-paying P5 teams joined this new league. These are major Universities with huge fan followings.

If we advertise it as REAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL...we might even beat the paying-school league in the ratings.
I don't think this matters to as many people as you think it does or else we'd see MIAC have more of a following.

In holding out for IMITATION COLLEGE FOOTBALL 🏈

I'm not trying to be cruel, but why shouldn't all non-revenue generating sports be treated like club teams? Am I missing a reason why that would be a bad thing?
Title IX would be an issue.

What color is the sky in your world?

The TV ratings for the FCS championship game were beaten by every minor bowl game except three., Frisco, Myrtle Beach, and Bahamas. Once a team is deemed minor league, there's very little interest.

I don't think this matters to as many people as you think it does or else we'd see MIAC have more of a following.
You're spot on. There is "REAL" college football played all across America and it averages 3000-5000 or more if you're St. John's.

Sure. Bethel University is just one step away from a huge tv contract. Lol

Title IX would be an issue.
Provide the minimum number of scholarships in female sports necessary to offset scholarships of the revenue sports and cut the rest of the nonrevenue sports. I'm not advocating that it happen but it's possible.

It didn't directly result in Wisconsin's athletic turnaround but about the time Alvarez took over at Wisconsin, it cut a number of non-revenue sports and redirected resources. It certainly didn't hurt and Wisconsin FB and MBB had a pretty successful 15-20 years following.

Provide the minimum number of scholarships in female sports necessary to offset scholarships of the revenue sports and cut the rest of the nonrevenue sports. I'm not advocating that it happen but it's possible.

It didn't directly result in Wisconsin's athletic turnaround but about the time Alvarez took over at Wisconsin, it cut a number of non-revenue sports and redirected resources. It certainly didn't hurt and Wisconsin FB and MBB had a pretty successful 15-20 years following.
Most notably, they cut baseball. I don't think that would happen here.

Top Bottom