Drew Peterson opens his recruitment, decommits from Minnesota

My favorite part was when he panic'd USAF and Built into thinking that the Gophers would be much better than they have been thinking and how much better Pitino would have looked this year with a deep complete team. I could see the wheels turning as to how much harder it would be to spin all things negative. I was ready to put them both on Suicide watch... but then he backed out.

Short but sweet.
Good try. I still think we could be good but unless we are a top 3 team defensively that will not happen. Not a panic type person . Trained from a young age that being calm and thoughtful brings strong results.

What I don't get about this is why would he be any more likely to get a waiver at a different school?

In the all normal things and thinking off the table pandemic mode, I could easily see him being granted a waiver at a school closer to home in Chicago by using the premise of being close to family in the uncertainty of the virus. I think a huge number of waivers will be granted this year because of that. No guarantees, of course, but still think he has a better shot of playing immediately if chooses something closer to home than Minnesota.

Then next year they will look more closely at the one transfer without sitting rule they functionally tabled for now.

I think the Gophers are better off getting a player who can play right away.

Fudge the NCAA and their ridiculous rules. The waiver issue has got to be the #1 reason. Someone else pointed that out on here in another post. If it were a Blue Blood like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, he'd be immediately eligible to play.

What if two people are competing for one job: a toolbag from Stanford and a toolbag from Minnesota? Which one of them gets it?
Does Stanford even recruit toobags?

Again, in every one of your responses, you change the subject away from the degree. A degree from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc opens some doors and gives some people opportunities that degrees from other schools do not get. It is up to each person to take advantage of the opportunity.

But then again, I knew a technical executive at Boeing that would recruit engineers out of the midwest because of their work ethic and ability to get things done. Great for hands on, resourceful engineers that wouldn't quit until they made it work.

Were the Midwestern engineers the ones who designed the 737 MAX?

My feeling on this is it's just as likely Pitino suggested Peterson look around as it is that Peterson decided to open up his recruitment on his own. Coyle has been as clear as an AD could be about the importance of next season. While Covid-19 could change that (again), it would not be a smart strategy for Pitino to count on another reprieve. In a hypothetical situation where neither Robbins nor Peterson gets a waiver, the Gophers would have scholarships tied up in Greenlee, Freeman, Curry, Robbins, and Peterson that are unlikely to help a tournament team in 2020. For the sake of argument throw in Mitchell who most agree is a project. That's 6 of the 13 scholarships going to guys who range from unlikely to help the team on the court to cannot help the team due to being ineligible. That's not even including Tre Williams who shot 28.2% (!) from the field last year.

That's just it. The roster is bad, flat out. And this Peterson kid doesn't help much either. He's a low level Big Ten player. Weak, slow, etc. At best he's a 5-10 minute a game kid for the better of his career here. Not a loss, not at all. That said, Pitino has to develop some of those guys you just talked about there.

Too many wasted scholarships by Richard in his tenure here.

That's just it. The roster is bad, flat out. And this Peterson kid doesn't help much either. He's a low level Big Ten player. Weak, slow, etc. At best he's a 5-10 minute a game kid for the better of his career here. Not a loss, not at all. That said, Pitino has to develop some of those guys you just talked about there.

Most people had him penciled in for 20-25 minutes his first year here.

Most people had him penciled in for 20-25 minutes his first year here.

Then that should show you what kind of roster we are looking at next year. And also give you a good idea of where we will finish in the Big Ten.:cry:

How much film of Peterson have you seen to know this? More than the staff? Did you have other recommendations or realistic ideas on how they should've used the scholarship? I think he was a 10-15 minute guy right away. I don't also disagree that he's the make or break guy, but I thought he added another wrinkle. I still think our roster can be plenty sufficient and good next year if they can defend.

How much film of Peterson have you seen to know this? More than the staff? Did you have other recommendations or realistic ideas on how they should've used the scholarship? I think he was a 10-15 minute guy right away. I don't also disagree that he's the make or break guy, but I thought he added another wrinkle. I still think our roster can be plenty sufficient and good next year if they can defend.

Not much. Doesn't take much to see what you got there. If he can hit jumpers, he's valuable. If not, he isn't going to make much of an impact most likely. Just go ahead and watch some. He'd be a great guy for Wisconsin as their 8th-9th player in their system. That and just take a look at the other teams that were on him? No one good. That should tell you all you need to know.

I don't deal in hopes and dreams like some here do.

Clearly you haven't seen any film on Peterson. He doesn't look slow at all - on the contrary, he's pretty quick for being a 6'8 guard. I agree he needs to work on adding some weight but he could give us 10-20 minutes a game as is.

Don't know why you're trying to make our roster seem worse than it is... we will have a very deep team this upcoming season.

This and the statement you quoted are based on SO MANY assumptions. Quite ridiculous. To have a bad roster, all these things HAVE to happen:

1. Robbins doesn't get a waiver
2. We don't fill the Peterson spot with anybody who can contribute
3. Mitchell is able to contribute nothing
4. Curry contributes nothing
5. Greenlee and Freeman don't develop at all between frosh and soph years

That's a TON of negative assumptions. But hey, I guess however you need to create a bridge for your narrative, right?

Not much. Doesn't take much to see what you got there. If he can hit jumpers, he's valuable. If not, he isn't going to make much of an impact most likely. Just go ahead and watch some. He'd be a great guy for Wisconsin as their 8th-9th player in their system. That and just take a look at the other teams that were on him? No one good. That should tell you all you need to know.

I don't deal in hopes and dreams like some here do.

We disagree on evaluation and the time it takes to make a correct one. I think film is incredibly valuable as a tool to see what a player is. Second I look at statistics and efficiency numbers. I agree with you that I don't Peterson was as good as some make him out to be, but I also find value in a 10-15 player as well. Last year all I read on here was that we didn't have that 8th or 9th player. So it seems like he could be of solid value.

Last edited:

1. Robbins will probably play
2. Peterson or not, looking at the 8th guy on your bench
3. Mitchel is a raw freshman.
4 . Curry hasn't contributed anything yet, I'm not expecting him to be anything more than a cheerleader again.
5. Most likely you get one of those 2 to give you 5-7 mins a game.

Again, hopes and dreams. You think Iowa is dealing with this on their roster? How about Wisconsin, Michigan? MSU?

1. Robbins will probably play
2. Peterson or not, looking at the 8th guy on your bench
3. Mitchel is a raw freshman.
4 . Curry hasn't contributed anything yet, I'm not expecting him to be anything more than a cheerleader again.
5. Most likely you get one of those 2 to give you 5-7 mins a game.

Again, hopes and dreams. You think Iowa is dealing with this on their roster? How about Wisconsin, Michigan? MSU?

I'm not arguing we have a top 4 roster (you just named 3 premier programs in the BT). You said "flat out bad" roster. My point is I think it's way too early to use that kind of hyperbole. Way too many variables we don't know the answers to yet.

I'm not arguing we have a top 4 roster (you just named 3 premier programs in the BT). You said "flat out bad" roster. My point is I think it's way too early to use that kind of hyperbole. Way too many variables we don't know the answers to yet.

So then fighting for an NIT spot towards the end of the season? - BAD.

I mean, if they finish top 6 they will dance so we can hope for that I guess.

Roster
Carr, other than that you have jack squat, maybe this big kid(Robbins) can be a difference maker. Also hopeful for the Mashburn kid. Same with last year. You had Oturo, Carr and nothing. What did it get you? BAD

Hopes and dreams don't get you much.

PS I hope you're right and they can be improved. Gopher basketball is one of my favorite sports to watch. But man do I miss the Clem days.

So then fighting for an NIT spot towards the end of the season? - BAD.

I mean, if they finish top 6 they will dance so we can hope for that I guess.

Roster
Carr, other than that you have jack squat, maybe this big kid(Robbins) can be a difference maker. Also hopeful for the Mashburn kid. Same with last year. You had Oturo, Carr and nothing. What did it get you? BAD

Hopes and dreams don't get you much.

PS I hope you're right and they can be improved. Gopher basketball is one of my favorite sports to watch. But man do I miss the Clem days.

Gabe was a stud freshman year. Players have bad years. Crazy to call him a "nothing" when he has proven what he can do on the big stages. Also, you're calling one of the better players in the MAC a "nothing"? I think Brandon Johnson might take offense to that. Dude was a 3-year starter and had really solid numbers. And Robbins, apparently the blue bloods felt strong enough about him to be calling.

Gabe was a stud freshman year. Players have bad years. Crazy to call him a "nothing" when he has proven what he can do on the big stages. Also, you're calling one of the better players in the MAC a "nothing"? I think Brandon Johnson might take offense to that. Dude was a 3-year starter and had really solid numbers. And Robbins, apparently the blue bloods felt strong enough about him to be calling.
Not to mention Ihnen and Tre Williams looked solid as freshman last season. Both will get better this summer even under quarantine.

Not to mention Ihnen and Tre Williams looked solid as freshman last season. Both will get better this summer even under quarantine.
I think your right. The answers we get will be how much, and will it exceed what other players do in other programs.

Gabe was the #1 reason the Gophers were bad last year. That and no bench.

I said Robbins can be a difference maker.

Maybe the other kid can be a difference maker, we will see. Until then I will continue to question kids from low end D1 universities that when they transfer are wanted by low end power 5 teams as it pertains to playing in the Big Ten.

I just think you all have been beaten down by so many years of bad basketball here. Do you all even remember what the barn was like when Clem was around? The kind of hardnosed players that played here? The highly ranked teams that came in here and got beat more often than they won? Being OK and finishing 8-10th in the conference is bad. There is nothing even close to positive about any of that.

Ihnen is the guy that could make a huge jump Freshman to Sophomore years, he's got big time athleticism.
I am on the boat with those 2 making good jumps their sophomore year. Tre was good on d, but struggled shooting percent wise. I think his numbers will be better next year. Ihnen struggled with injuries.

I am on the boat with those 2 making good jumps their sophomore year. Tre was good on d, but struggled shooting percent wise. I think his numbers will be better next year. Ihnen struggled with injuries.

Agree. Also believe Gabe will be much better. He seems to me to be like Murphy - quiet but the fire burns deep and hot. Would imagine he is focused like none other this offseason.

Top Bottom