Drew Peterson opens his recruitment, decommits from Minnesota

What was your favorite Drew Peterson memory, of his 4 day career with the Gophers? This may mean that he has no chance to be on the Mount Rushmore of Gopher basketball players.

Awesome palace intrigue here! I think we're making this more complicated than it is. He made a quick decision anticipating being able to play right away. Shortly after news comes out he likely will not be able to play here, he decides to look for a place he will more likely get a waiver. Pitino needs another body next season. The kid wants to play right away and can't here. Now Pitino gets a chance to find another body who can play right away and the kid gets a chance to find a place he'll get a waiver. It's a win win with no conspiracy. Worst part is the likelihood of finding a player who can contribute at this late date is low.
What I don't get about this is why would he be any more likely to get a waiver at a different school?

What I don't get about this is why would he be any more likely to get a waiver at a different school?
It is not more likely but perhaps Stanford called. He does not have a single elite offer anywhere for basketball but for life Stanford is a incredible offer. Still a chance he comes here.

It is not more likely but perhaps Stanford called. He does not have a single elite offer anywhere for basketball but for life Stanford is a incredible offer. Still a chance he comes here.
Stanford is great, but if you have 2 guys in an interview and the first guy is from stanford and he's a toolbag and the second guy is from minnesota I'm taking guy from minnesota. Doesnt matter what school you go to. Stanford is great, but is it really that much better?

Stanford is great, but if you have 2 guys in an interview and the first guy is from stanford and he's a toolbag and the second guy is from minnesota I'm taking guy from minnesota. Doesnt matter what school you go to. Stanford is great, but is it really that much better?
Yes it is. But i am hiring the best guy for the job no matter where he comes from, certainly could be Minnesota. We have hired from Minnesota and both of them worked out. Just not reality though to compare with Stanford. It is a top 5 dream school for high achieving academics. 50% get in here. Not the hard. It carries great presentation in our society to get to Stanford. As it relates to Peterson, he really has zero elite offers for basketball but could serve himself at Carlson.

Reactions: sal

Yes it is. But i am hiring the best guy for the job no matter where he comes from, certainly could be Minnesota. We have hired from Minnesota and both of them worked out. Just not reality though to compare with Stanford. It is a top 5 dream school for high achieving academics. 50% get in here. Not the hard. It carries great presentation in our society to get to Stanford. As it relates to Peterson, he really has zero elite offers for basketball but could serve himself at Carlson.
My point is Stanford is great, but if your a toolbag it doesnt matter where you go to school.

Degrees open up doors, and degrees from certain schools open up certain doors. It all depends on if you are able to walk through the door. So your argument is if a person is a tool bag, not where they got their degree.

The way I see it, he feels he's a fit with Richard Pitino, and if he doesn't get a waiver and has to sit out next year, there's no guarantee that Pitino will even be around past next season so he'd end up playing for a new coach he doesn't even know. That's taking a big gamble, why take a gamble like that when you can play for a coach you know for sure will be around for awhile?

What if two people are competing for one job: a toolbag from Stanford and a toolbag from Minnesota? Which one of them gets it?
I guess whoever has the best interview. Which again proves my point. It doesnt matter where ya go to school. If you graduate and you have an outstanding interview and the person interviewing you loves you, you dont need a Harvard degree!

What if two people are competing for one job: a toolbag from Stanford and a toolbag from Minnesota? Which one of them gets it?
The best one for the job I guess which doesnt mean getting great grades at Stanford. That doesnt necessarily mean your the best fit for a job.

The best one for the job I guess which doesnt mean getting great grades at Stanford. That doesnt necessarily mean your the best fit for a job.
The other way to look at it is that Stanford Grads make more money than Minnesota grads,

My feeling on this is it's just as likely Pitino suggested Peterson look around as it is that Peterson decided to open up his recruitment on his own. Coyle has been as clear as an AD could be about the importance of next season. While Covid-19 could change that (again), it would not be a smart strategy for Pitino to count on another reprieve. In a hypothetical situation where neither Robbins nor Peterson gets a waiver, the Gophers would have scholarships tied up in Greenlee, Freeman, Curry, Robbins, and Peterson that are unlikely to help a tournament team in 2020. For the sake of argument throw in Mitchell who most agree is a project. That's 6 of the 13 scholarships going to guys who range from unlikely to help the team on the court to cannot help the team due to being ineligible. That's not even including Tre Williams who shot 28.2% (!) from the field last year.

He was a lot like that kid from Seattle.

What if the applicant is a douchebag from Stanford vs. a toolbag from Minnesota? Our company always goes with the toolbag- they seem to get along with coworkers better.

I guess whoever has the best interview. Which again proves my point. It doesnt matter where ya go to school. If you graduate and you have an outstanding interview and the person interviewing you loves you, you dont need a Harvard degree!
Again, in every one of your responses, you change the subject away from the degree. A degree from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc opens some doors and gives some people opportunities that degrees from other schools do not get. It is up to each person to take advantage of the opportunity.

But then again, I knew a technical executive at Boeing that would recruit engineers out of the midwest because of their work ethic and ability to get things done. Great for hands on, resourceful engineers that wouldn't quit until they made it work.

yeah, we had heard Stanford a few weeks back but then nothing more. At this point, safe money is on UNC. less now at risk for MN to do a full restart.

What was your favorite Drew Peterson memory, of his 4 day career with the Gophers? This may mean that he has no chance to be on the Mount Rushmore of Gopher basketball players.
My favorite part was when he panic'd USAF and Built into thinking that the Gophers would be much better than they have been thinking and how much better Pitino would have looked this year with a deep complete team. I could see the wheels turning as to how much harder it would be to spin all things negative. I was ready to put them both on Suicide watch... but then he backed out.

Short but sweet.

Top Bottom