Drew Peterson opens his recruitment, decommits from Minnesota

Gabe was the #1 reason the Gophers were bad last year. That and no bench.

I said Robbins can be a difference maker.

Maybe the other kid can be a difference maker, we will see. Until then I will continue to question kids from low end D1 universities that when they transfer are wanted by low end power 5 teams as it pertains to playing in the Big Ten.

I just think you all have been beaten down by so many years of bad basketball here. Do you all even remember what the barn was like when Clem was around? The kind of hardnosed players that played here? The highly ranked teams that came in here and got beat more often than they won? Being OK and finishing 8-10th in the conference is bad. There is nothing even close to positive about any of that.

Well, Gabe was also one of the reasons we made the tourney and won a game the year before. So call it a wash? But to expect nothing from a guy who has performed very well before seems to be selective amnesia.

And yes, I went to the U during the Clem years and the Final Four run. I miss it too. I never said 8-10th was "okay". I think you're just assuming the worst already and I (and some others) are looking to build some excitement going into next year. I mean, if you can't be optimistic going into a new year, why even be a fan? (I guess unless a person really enjoys being miserable?)

Gabe was the #1 reason the Gophers were bad last year. That and no bench.

I said Robbins can be a difference maker.

Maybe the other kid can be a difference maker, we will see. Until then I will continue to question kids from low end D1 universities that when they transfer are wanted by low end power 5 teams as it pertains to playing in the Big Ten.

I just think you all have been beaten down by so many years of bad basketball here. Do you all even remember what the barn was like when Clem was around? The kind of hardnosed players that played here? The highly ranked teams that came in here and got beat more often than they won? Being OK and finishing 8-10th in the conference is bad. There is nothing even close to positive about any of that.
I think your post is pretty spot on, but blaming Gabe for a bad season is pretty ridiculous.

Well, Gabe was also one of the reasons we made the tourney and won a game the year before. So call it a wash? But to expect nothing from a guy who has performed very well before seems to be selective amnesia.

And yes, I went to the U during the Clem years and the Final Four run. I miss it too. I never said 8-10th was "okay". I think you're just assuming the worst already and I (and some others) are looking to build some excitement going into next year. I mean, if you can't be optimistic going into a new year, why even be a fan? (I guess unless a person really enjoys being miserable?)

ONE OF THE BEST THINGS IN ALL OF THIS is the amount of people that stay optimistic . Even though it does not fill a arena it still speaks to a faithful 5000. That is what UW was down to after decades of mediocrity. Their loyalty , at least for those still alive was rewarded when they finally hired the right person to hire the right people.

So then fighting for an NIT spot towards the end of the season? - BAD.

I mean, if they finish top 6 they will dance so we can hope for that I guess.

Roster
Carr, other than that you have jack squat, maybe this big kid(Robbins) can be a difference maker. Also hopeful for the Mashburn kid. Same with last year. You had Oturo, Carr and nothing. What did it get you? BAD

Hopes and dreams don't get you much.

PS I hope you're right and they can be improved. Gopher basketball is one of my favorite sports to watch. But man do I miss the Clem days.
Your "Troll" is showing. When you talk about our squad and use the word "you" instead of "we" or even "they" you're showing a disconnect from our team. You tried to recover in your last paragraph, but too little, too late.

ONE OF THE BEST THINGS IN ALL OF THIS is the amount of people that stay optimistic . Even though it does not fill a arena it still speaks to a faithful 5000. That is what UW was down to after decades of mediocrity. Their loyalty , at least for those still alive was rewarded when they finally hired the right person to hire the right people.
Umm no one was at the Yoder games. I know this personally.

My favorite part was when he panic'd USAF and Built into thinking that the Gophers would be much better than they have been thinking and how much better Pitino would have looked this year with a deep complete team. I could see the wheels turning as to how much harder it would be to spin all things negative. I was ready to put them both on Suicide watch... but then he backed out.

Short but sweet.
You got me. I completely panicked over the addition of another spring Pitino weak-ass settle of a recruit.

He might have had a couple hot shooting nights and made a couple losses closer.

Why do you continue to watch and pay attention if you have this much disdain for the program?
That's the million-dollar question. Since the Gophers Bball program pisses him off so much maybe he should try watching a different sport... bowling perhaps?

Why do you continue to watch and pay attention if you have this much disdain for the program?
Only a thought but perhaps he hopes we will be better but is beat up by decades of mediocrity. He has his opinions, others have theirs. I go into every season hopeful.

Only a thought but perhaps he hopes we will be better but is beat up by decades of mediocrity. He has his opinions, others have theirs. I go into every season hopeful.

Opinions are fine and so is hope just like the belief that we will be bad, but man if I disliked a program so much that all I saw was negative, I'd move on until there is change that I can get behind. I certainly would not peruse message boards to speak only negative and not share how it could be better.

Opinions are fine and so is hope just like the belief that we will be bad, but man if I disliked a program so much that all I saw was negative, I'd move on until there is change that I can get behind. I certainly would not peruse message boards to speak only negative and not share how it could be better.
He can love the program and think the problem is another poor head coach.

Don't disagree, I've been on the board saying we should move on too. Still doesn't stop me from having productive conversations about how it should be better instead of only doom and gloom.

Built, as much as I've been annoyed by some of your posts at many times, I can admit that you do contribute to the board with your basketball knowledge. The thing I don't understand is why you take it upon yourself to be the defender of these others who contribute nothing but coming ONLY to post the same negative stuff over and over and over.

This is not about free speech. There is a difference between a critical supporter (yourself) and people who are actual cowardly trolls and only show their faces when something bad happens. You surely understand that, don't you? I know you hate the word "trolls" but the definition is someone who comes to post negative/divisive content JUST to get a reaction. They DO exist on this board. 100%

Since this is the Peterson thread - has there been any updates - rumors - hints on what he's up to - or not up to?

All I will say is that, if you commit to a school - and de-commit 4 days later - you were never that committed to begin with.

I have no inside information. Just wondering if this all comes down to 'morning-after' regret - as in "bleep, I think I just made a bad decision. I want a mulligan."

I have disdain for the mediocrity. The apathy. The apologists too weak minded to demand better. The inability of "fans" to see past their own unearned optimism, like Charlie Browns charging toward that football year after year, somehow managing to make themselves believe that this year, well this year Lucy wont pull that football away. Small minded fans who think that an occasional trip into the top half of the conference, and/or a rare and short NCAA trip is all this program is capable of.

I have disdain for those of you looking at this coach, this team, and talking as if there's something there.

I love Gopher basketball. I was at Williams Arena before many of you were born. Listening on my little battery powered transistor radio on dark winter nights.

Pitino is a problem. You're a problem.

I'm not the problem.

Built, as much as I've been annoyed by some of your posts at many times, I can admit that you do contribute to the board with your basketball knowledge. The thing I don't understand is why you take it upon yourself to be the defender of these others who contribute nothing but coming ONLY to post the same negative stuff over and over and over.

This is not about free speech. There is a difference between a critical supporter (yourself) and people who are actual cowardly trolls and only show their faces when something bad happens. You surely understand that, don't you? I know you hate the word "trolls" but the definition is someone who comes to post negative/divisive content JUST to get a reaction. They DO exist on this board. 100%
There are trolls but i do not see USAF that way. He has many spot on basketball insights. Some people get frustrated by the poor performance and are sick of the selective samples people use to try and defend or even predict some greatness. For those that think we are coached really well, that we recruit really well, that transfers like Peterson will be great, that is ok. We do have fans that think that the product is pretty good and some that think it has been terrible. Fans by definition will be extreme in their differences. After 6 plus decades in this great sport i consider myself a supportive observer, a great fan of young people, a program and coach analyst that goes of a very substantial data to study and recognize patterns in great AD's, great players, great teams. How they hired, how they were built. This was done to know who to represent and consult with. This was done for every professional we ever represented, most not even in athletics but it provided a beneficial continuity. Sounds cold but winners are worth more on every level. My father had learned that from Pete Newell. It laid the foundation for a lifetime obsession with observing humans, how they compete and how they conduct themselves. Now this board is part of that experience.

I have disdain for the mediocrity. The apathy. The apologists too weak minded to demand better. The inability of "fans" to see past their own unearned optimism, like Charlie Browns charging toward that football year after year, somehow managing to make themselves believe that this year, well this year Lucy wont pull that football away. Small minded fans who think that an occasional trip into the too half of the conference, and/or a rare and short NCAA trip is all this program is capable of.

I have disdain for those of you looking at this coach, this team, and talking as if there's something there.

I love Gopher basketball. I was at Williams Arena before many of you were born. Listening on my little battery powered transistor radio on dark winter nights.

I'm not the problem.
Why whine about it here? What possible outcome do you expect by coming on here to nag other fans about it? More than half of us make our opinion known that we wanted a coaching change.

Put me down as one that wants to win, wanted a coaching change, and wants nothing to do with being the "nagging wife" of college basketball fans that you guys are.

Sheesh - setup a time to chat with Mark Coyle if your opinion is so important.

There are trolls but i do not see USAF that way. He has many spot on basketball insights. Some people get frustrated by the poor performance and are sick of the selective samples people use to try and defend or even predict some greatness. For those that think we are coached really well, that we recruit really well, that transfers like Peterson will be great, that is ok. We do have fans that think that the product is pretty good and some that think it has been terrible. Fans by definition will be extreme in their differences. After 6 plus decades in this great sport i consider myself a supportive observer, a great fan of young people, a program and coach analyst that goes of a very substantial data to study and recognize patterns in great AD's, great players, great teams. How they hired, how they were built. This was done to know who to represent and consult with. This was done for every professional we ever represented, most not even in athletics but it provided a beneficial continuity. Sounds cold but winners are worth more on every level. My father had learned that from Pete Newell. It laid the foundation for a lifetime obsession with observing humans, how they compete and how they conduct themselves. Now this board is part of that experience.
I guess we must be pretty lucky to get to be a part of the Pete Newell experience now also. Wow - who knew?

Why whine about it here? What possible outcome do you expect by coming on here to nag other fans about it? More than half of us make our opinion known that we wanted a coaching change.

Put me down as one that wants to win, wanted a coaching change, and wants nothing to do with being the "nagging wife" of college basketball fans that you guys are.

Sheesh - setup a time to chat with Mark Coyle if your opinion is so important.
Sure you know this but Coyle is well aware and is handling it all as well as can be expected. He can not help the timing of Covid19, the lack of funds. He manages that . He supports the coach through the period of time we are not losing, he gave him another year. Pitino can win more years by finishing top 3 in the conference but will be fired with a 12th place finish. Who knows if 7th gets it done. Securing Peterson or another contributor is critical to Pitino.

Since this is the Peterson thread - has there been any updates - rumors - hints on what he's up to - or not up to?

All I will say is that, if you commit to a school - and de-commit 4 days later - you were never that committed to begin with.

I have no inside information. Just wondering if this all comes down to 'morning-after' regret - as in "bleep, I think I just made a bad decision. I want a mulligan."

When he committed to the Gophers it did not look like he was going to be required to sit out a year as the Transfer/1 sit a year rule was likely going to be wiped out. Just days after, that rule change was likely tabled.

I understand your comments, but who the hell cares about what Wisconsin did or did not do? Throwing them into the conversation does not add credibility.

Attendance is basically an issue all over the country. The Gophers have had a good loyal fanbase and was a school with one of the higher attendances in P5. Of course that last AD messed everything up with the seat prices, add to that the general decrease in attendance. Here is a good article about why attendance is off and what affects it.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/influencing-factors-mbb-attendance/

And please give the Gopher a little more credit that the 5,000 faithful. The Gophers attendance in 2019 averaged 10,675. It is not where we want it, but it is more than:
Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Baylor, California, Clemson, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Georgetown, Georgia, Gonzaga, Kansas State, LIU Brooklyn, LSU, Missouri, Norte Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Oregon State, Providence, Seton Hall, Stanford, Texas, UCLA, UConn, UNLV, Vanderbilt, Villanova, Wichita State, Xavier, etc... just to name a few. The Gophers still have the 25th highest attendance in the country. I am not saying that it is a high as we want, because we have been in the top ten in the past. But, it is not as dismal as everyone wants to say it is....

I understand your comments, but who the hell cares about what Wisconsin did or did not do? Throwing them into the conversation does not add credibility.

Attendance is basically an issue all over the country. The Gophers have had a good loyal fanbase and was a school with one of the higher attendances in P5. Of course that last AD messed everything up with the seat prices, add to that the general decrease in attendance. Here is a good article about why attendance is off and what affects it.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/influencing-factors-mbb-attendance/

And please give the Gopher a little more credit that the 5,000 faithful. The Gophers attendance in 2019 averaged 10,675. It is not where we want it, but it is more than:
Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Baylor, California, Clemson, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Georgetown, Georgia, Gonzaga, Kansas State, LIU Brooklyn, LSU, Missouri, Norte Dame, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Oregon State, Providence, Seton Hall, Stanford, Texas, UCLA, UConn, UNLV, Vanderbilt, Villanova, Wichita State, Xavier, etc... just to name a few. The Gophers still have the 25th highest attendance in the country. I am not saying that it is a high as we want, because we have been in the top ten in the past. But, it is not as dismal as everyone wants to say it is....
Your naming a bunch of schools that have lower capacity and are sold out with much higher prices. Faithful 5000 refers to how many come no matter what. We had many nights where there were 7000 there and they announced 10,500 on tickets sold. UW was a example because i saw there faithful 5000 before they fixed the losing problem . It is not a problem everywhere. I go to games in a many places through the year and some are sold out. Just last year i was at sell outs at UVA, Zona, MSU, UW. Duke sells out every game ! Winning at a high level and Williams would be sold out. I am talking conference titles, final 4's. THE JOB IS NOT TO BE TOP 25 IN ATTENDANCE, it is to sell out. It is the only D1 school in the State. Some of the schools you mention have 6-14 D1 programs. Hell, UW has 3 other D1 programs in the state.

I have disdain for the mediocrity. The apathy. The apologists too weak minded to demand better. The inability of "fans" to see past their own unearned optimism, like Charlie Browns charging toward that football year after year, somehow managing to make themselves believe that this year, well this year Lucy wont pull that football away. Small minded fans who think that an occasional trip into the top half of the conference, and/or a rare and short NCAA trip is all this program is capable of.

I'm not the problem.

Some see the glass as half empty in life. Some see the glass as half full. You are the former, and that's fine. Personally, I'm always going into a season optimistic. College basketball is simply more fun that way. Does that mean I accept consistent mediocrity? No. What get people riled up about your posts is that you don't contribute to any thread. All you do is bash the program, the coach, the players, and now the fans. I've seen you take fun threads, and do your absolute best to sabotage them.

I hope you can approve of the product on the court again someday, but until then, lighten up.

Top Bottom