All Things Will Tschetter Recruitment Thread

Talk about inept recruiting, either you want the kid or you don't, waiting until others have offered is ridiculous.
Example 257 of the ineptitude of Richard Pitino.

haha alright point taken. I still think there's something to be said to get the first offer out there, however minute that might be in this scenario. I get the constant communication has been there and clearly you want the kid so then why not beat NEB and MICH to it? Is it just we don't want to be the first offer for some reason? Or it takes Arkansas to get the ball rolling? I'm about making the statement we want you and you're a home state kid we're all in!
If I put myself in that kids shoes I'd think it would mean a little something if a school offered me earlier and truly showed they were right there all the way through. SO PJ Fleck/Avante Dickerson.

Arkansas got the ball rolling on 41 recruits so far in that cycle lol

A Llttle homework would illuminate the fact that Pitino has zero openings at this time on the 21/22 roster...if he signs Gach.... And if Carr leaves after this season Pitino will need another lead guard on the roster. Pitino is wise to be very prudent with his offers this cycle

Stop with the facts and roster management. We offer everyone so we can continue to rip the roster management. We also hope we get Michael Hurts so we can rip them when they don't become NBA players. I thought you understood the main logic of this board lol

haha alright point taken. I still think there's something to be said to get the first offer out there, however minute that might be in this scenario. I get the constant communication has been there and clearly you want the kid so then why not beat NEB and MICH to it? Is it just we don't want to be the first offer for some reason? Or it takes Arkansas to get the ball rolling? I'm about making the statement we want you and you're a home state kid we're all in!
If I put myself in that kids shoes I'd think it would mean a little something if a school offered me earlier and truly showed they were right there all the way through. SO PJ Fleck/Avante Dickerson.

I think you're right if it's a Brad Davison deal and we communicate minimally and offer the day before he announces his decision. Then it's a slap in the face, but hopefully the staff has been honest with Will in mentioning the roster situation and who knows, maybe Michigan's call was scheduled before ours to offer? Personally, if being the "first" offer is the make or break thing, then I'm not as interested in the kid. I want a kid who wants the best fit and wants to be part of a culture over who offered me first. I do understanding how the timing can look reactive however so we will just have to see if it bothered Will or not.

I think you're right if it's a Brad Davison deal and we communicate minimally and offer the day before he announces his decision. Then it's a slap in the face, but hopefully the staff has been honest with Will in mentioning the roster situation and who knows, maybe Michigan's call was scheduled before ours to offer? Personally, if being the "first" offer is the make or break thing, then I'm not as interested in the kid. I want a kid who wants the best fit and wants to be part of a culture over who offered me first. I do understanding how the timing can look reactive however so we will just have to see if it bothered Will or not.
True I do think it's a lot more about the communication and how much effort you're putting into the kid that really counts which we are unable to see. We'll find out.

It's probably too early to worry about roster construction because of all the moving parts right now, but for the 2021 season, the only guards on the team would be Mash, Tre, Kalscheur, and Mutaf. I feel like recruiting more forwards at this point in time when we already have Ihnen, Mitchell, and Thompson isn't paying due diligence to our desperate need for backcourt depth.

Pitino's always had some questionable roster management though so nothing new here.

Agree with Parcival on this. It just makes no sense to me that when the basketball world is finding ways to put less big guys on the floor, we are going to potentially allocate more than half the available scholarships of our team to bigs.

We complain about lack of perimeter depth every year and yet every year we have how many bigs taking up roster spots.

If Tschetter is so good that he pushes all the other bigs on our roster off the roster, or makes up for the lack of perimeter depth, I'll eat these words (and be quite pleased with being wrong), but to me, he's a nice prospect, but a guy you can live with not getting when you've already got some combination of Ihnen, Robbins, Mitchell, Thompson, Omersa and fringe depth guys like Curry and Freeman.

Again, if Curry suffers another injury and you know he's gone, plus you know Freeman or Mitchell or someone else is a likely departure, then by all means, feed the trolls their home grown meat.

Must. Defend. Pitino.

Lol.

not at all. I said he should be fired, he still should be. He was saved by COVID. It’s the same thing I say about any recruit. show me a recruit who said they didn’t pick the gophers (or another school) because they didn’t offer first.

I’ll also say I don’t think Cheddar is going to be an impact player in the B1G but what do I know. Maybe he is 3 time all conference. Best of luck to him. My wife’s cousin plays AAU with him and by all accounts Will is a good kid that works super hard.

Better to offer Will now rather than wait for Brown and Holmgren to decide and maybe striking out. Rivals has Will ranked about the same as Martice Mitchell

If that is the case move on and find someone that fits your needs, no one is going to be receptive to the type of mambi pambi relationship the Gophers seem to have with him, if I was looking for a job and had multiple offers the one that told me right now they don't have a position that fits my skill set but one might open up in the future and one that says you are exactly what I am looking for and the prospects for the company are similiar guess which one I would take.

If that is the case move on and find someone that fits your needs, no one is going to be receptive to the type of mambi pambi relationship the Gophers seem to have with him, if I was looking for a job and had multiple offers the one that told me right now they don't have a position that fits my skill set but one might open up in the future and one that says you are exactly what I am looking for and the prospects for the company are similiar guess which one I would take.

I must've not worded my post correctly and I fully understand your point. My point with communicating was I hope they talk about roster depth. I also think the first offer is worthless and a staff communicating that they want to make the full evaluation is ok. Honesty wins out in my opinion instead of false promises. I dont think they offer unless they felt there is space on the roster and the staff he's he would be a contributor. Pitino doesn't really have a rep for just offering hundreds of kids either so he offers ones that he feels can help. I am curious to why you think the relationship is "mamby pamby"?

As for job offers, I pick the company that best suits me and what I want to do. If one says they don't have the job for me yet, I like the challenge and feel I will make myself good enough that they make that job for me specially if the one that has that job is a dumpster fire or doesn't fit my core values.

I must've not worded my post correctly and I fully understand your point. My point with communicating was I hope they talk about roster depth. I also think the first offer is worthless and a staff communicating that they want to make the full evaluation is ok. Honesty wins out in my opinion instead of false promises. I dont think they offer unless they felt there is space on the roster and the staff he's he would be a contributor. Pitino doesn't really have a rep for just offering hundreds of kids either so he offers ones that he feels can help. I am curious to why you think the relationship is "mamby pamby"?

As for job offers, I pick the company that best suits me and what I want to do. If one says they don't have the job for me yet, I like the challenge and feel I will make myself good enough that they make that job for me specially if the one that has that job is a dumpster fire or doesn't fit my core values.
I have seen the first offer be a major factor but agree for the most part it does not carry the date. The programs i follow closely identify early and offer early but if they miss on those guys they have been recruiting others, especially as needs and development change. The key is early evaluation and projection to team needs. Super tough, then development of team, even more difficult. At least if your hoping to be elite.

KSTP: Q&A with Stewartville's Will Tschetter on getting Gophers hoops offer and more

Stewartville Class of 2021 forward Will Tschetter talks to KSTP Sports about all the recent college offers that have come in, plus the social injustice and racial issues plaguing our country.

Tschetter is a 6-feet-9 forward, and he led the state in scoring last season at 33 points per game. In the last week, high major programs Minnesota, Arkansas, Michigan, and Nebraska have made scholarship offers.

Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, Wyoming, Loyola Chicago, Toledo, James Madison, Colorado State and South Dakota State have also all offered.

Go Gophers!!

per Garrett:

Growing up just 90 minutes away from the University of Minnesota, all eyes are on the offer he received from Richard Pitino and the Gophers.

"A few of my friends at school were pretty excited. You know, they're pretty big Minnesota fans. Our family grew up cheering for the Gophers, you know, the hometown state. I would say it's kind of a pretty cool opportunity to be able to maybe play for them one day," Tschetter said.

He is looking forward to visiting different schools across the country, but COVID-19 is making that difficult for the time being. He is eager to tour schools so he can connect with coaches and players and gauge how the campus feels.

For now, Tschetter is focused on how he can improve over the next year, but the decision of where he will play college hoops is always looming.

"Maybe a little bit nervous I would say. The hardest thing in life is telling people no. I think that's going to be my toughest thing. Just building all these great relationships, having to tell lots of people no eventually is kind of going to be a hard factor. But if you have a great support system as I'm lucky to have then it makes things a lot easier," Tschetter said.

He hopes to major in Environmental Science or Environmental Engineering.

Go Gophers!!

Based on the Burnsville game hi lites Tschetter has a long way to go to be an impact player in the Big Ten. I poo pooed Mitchell for being mechanical on the perimeter in his workout video. Tschetter is very deliberate in most of his movements including shooting.
Yes, there is a burst here and there. Yes, he seems like he'll work hard. Maybe he is the second coming of Garza but it's a ways away.
Having said all that...something more current has a lot of people interested in him.

He's very strong. Definitely a true 4. It's hard to tell how good he is because the Hiawatha Valley conference is mostly AA teams and not exactly high level competition.

Last edited:

I think we are better off sticking to recruiting hot-beds like Turkey. Getting in on him so late gives us little or no hope of getting him and I can't say as I blame the young man.

I think we are better off sticking to recruiting hot-beds like Turkey. Getting in on him so late gives us little or no hope of getting him and I can't say as I blame the young man.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm? Getting in on him so late? What are you talking about? He has four or five Power Six offers, most of which came within a few hours of each other, including Minnesota's. Among the Power Six offers, Minnesota is the only place he has attended game, as a prospective recruit LAST SEASON. Minnesota has been the most aggressive Power Six team recruiting the kid dating back to last year.

He's very strong. Definitely a true 4. It's hard to tell how good he is because the Hiawatha Valley conference is mostly AA teams and not exactly high level competition.

I played in the HVL (or rather sat on the bench in the HVL) for my hometown team in the early-1970s and I agree that there are level of competition issues, but coaches are able to get a lot more book on recruits due to summer leagues and other venues giving them a better handle on kids' abilities than in the Stone Age of my youth. He's the most sought-after kid in that conference since Randy Breuer lo those many years ago. He looks like a kid who could be an elite banger as his body fills out. Nice footwork around the basket.

I played in the HVL (or rather sat on the bench in the HVL) for my hometown team in the early-1970s and I agree that there are level of competition issues, but coaches are able to get a lot more book on recruits due to summer leagues and other venues giving them a better handle on kids' abilities than in the Stone Age of my youth. He's the most sought-after kid in that conference since Randy Breuer lo those many years ago. He looks like a kid who could be an elite banger as his body fills out. Nice footwork around the basket.

That's right, Lake City! I haven't seen Will play AAU. Just in Rochester vs Lourdes. Agree that he can be a very good 4 year big ten player. And agreed on the ability to find talent now. You can play anywhere and go D-1, even Lakeview Academy in Duluth (Anders Broman). I think higher competition benefits some kids more than others as well. I think playing for DLS was great for Gabe and Tyrell Terry.

If your really good they find you even if you do not play AAU. This kid has good base skills. In the right program he will make a big difference.

Top Bottom