All Things Will Tschetter Recruitment Thread

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

RECRUITING SNAPSHOT
The recruitment of Tschetter remains a rather fluid situation as a number of quality mid-major suitors have already appeared. His offer list is an expansive one which includes Appalachian State, Colorado State, James Madison, Loyola Chicago, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, South Dakota, Toledo, William & Mary and Wyoming.

He has already taken unofficial visits to Minnesota and Northern Iowa, and has spent a junior year official visit to North Dakota State. Prior to the pandemic, Tschetter had plans on taking official visits to Colorado State and Northern Iowa.

A commitment is expected prior to his senior high school season. In the meantime, the high-major realm has begun to take notice in which Arkansas, Creighton, Minnesota, Oregon State and Wisconsin have reached out to him.

Go Gophers!!

Is a Tschetter in hand worth more than a Holmgren in the Bush?

Is he in hand? If he is, then I wouldn't wait if our eval is that he will be good. Would he buy into a redshirt year? I think you can still always keep the door open for a Chet. Figure that out later.

In a hypothetical world where Tschetter dreams of playing for the hometown team and they secure his commitment, the team would head into 2021 (before transfers which would seem likely) with more than half its scholarships being taken up by big guys.

Assuming Carr leaves early and nobody transfers, the roster would look like such:

PG: Mashburn
SG: Kalscheur, Mutaf
SF: Williams
PF: Ihnen, Omersa, Mitchell, Thompson, Tschetter
C: Robbins, Curry, Freeman

People complain about Pitino's ability to balance the roster yet want another big man when you cannot play more than two at a time?

Again, perhaps Curry doesn't get to his senior year, maybe Freeman or Mitchell transfers out. And it would only be for a year, then the logjam would clear in a sense with three seniors gone. But is Tschetter worth that kind of roster imbalance?

I'd take Tschetter now and if Chet ended up wanting to commit, take him too. The positional balance for that class would be a great problem to have with all that talent and shooting ability.
Very good bet Carr is done after this season....need to have a scholly for a plug n play lead guard. Will for 4 years may be a better bet than Chet for one

In a hypothetical world where Tschetter dreams of playing for the hometown team and they secure his commitment, the team would head into 2021 (before transfers which would seem likely) with more than half its scholarships being taken up by big guys.

Assuming Carr leaves early and nobody transfers, the roster would look like such:

PG: Mashburn
SG: Kalscheur, Mutaf
SF: Williams
PF: Ihnen, Omersa, Mitchell, Thompson, Tschetter
C: Robbins, Curry, Freeman

People complain about Pitino's ability to balance the roster yet want another big man when you cannot play more than two at a time?

Again, perhaps Curry doesn't get to his senior year, maybe Freeman or Mitchell transfers out. And it would only be for a year, then the logjam would clear in a sense with three seniors gone. But is Tschetter worth that kind of roster imbalance?
Curry hanging around for year 6 is very ???

Curry hanging around for year 6 is very ???

He's hung around this long. Barring another major injury, it doesn't seem like Curry is planning on giving up. And as we've seen, Pitino doesn't seem to be the type to run guys off the program.

But yeah, maybe he decides not to stick around. Maybe Freeman leaves as well. In that scenario, take Tschetter. I think seven of the 13 alotted scholarships being used on forwards is my limit

Everyone may be right, but I love how everyone has mitchell being odd man out on everything and have him transferring eventually. Guy has unlimited potential and hasnt even stepped foot on campus yet. At least let this guy practice a week before we send him packing. Who knows this guy just might surprise you!

Everyone may be right, but I love how everyone has mitchell being odd man out on everything and have him transferring eventually. Guy has unlimited potential and hasnt even stepped foot on campus yet. At least let this guy practice a week before we send him packing. Who knows this guy just might surprise you!

I have high hopes for Mitchell. He may or may not make an impact as a freshman, but I'm optimistic that he will be a good player for us at some point.

I kind of hope this guy goes to Wisconsin. That way we can make up a bunch of "Will Shitter? or will he not?" signs.

You know, for when he's at the free throw line.

I just can't see Curry hanging around for another year in 21-22. The kid's knees have been beat up enough that it seems unlikely he is going to have a pro career of any sort. I could easily see him going hey 5 years was a good run and starting his post athlete life, or maybe he would want to be closer to home and get more run at a smaller school. I would not be disappointed if he were on the team in 2 years as I think he has put a ton into the program and seems to be a great leader but also have to look at reality and might just decide 5 years/2 major injuries are enough.

That said, I don't think the Gophers are in a place to turn down talent. If they decided Tschetter was worth an offer and he took it and Chet wanted in you 100% take him. I understand the game is going smaller/faster, but its not like we have so much talent we can be turning talented kids away. Make it work with what you have.

I just can't see Curry hanging around for another year in 21-22. The kid's knees have been beat up enough that it seems unlikely he is going to have a pro career of any sort. I could easily see him going hey 5 years was a good run and starting his post athlete life, or maybe he would want to be closer to home and get more run at a smaller school. I would not be disappointed if he were on the team in 2 years as I think he has put a ton into the program and seems to be a great leader but also have to look at reality and might just decide 5 years/2 major injuries are enough.

That said, I don't think the Gophers are in a place to turn down talent. If they decided Tschetter was worth an offer and he took it and Chet wanted in you 100% take him. I understand the game is going smaller/faster, but its not like we have so much talent we can be turning talented kids away. Make it work with what you have.

Ok so in this hypothetical we have eight (8/13) scholarships devoted to guys who play the 4 or 5.

Assuming no transfers out, Curry gone and Carr gone.

Mashburn
Kalscheur, Mutaf
Williams
Holmgren, Ihnen, Mitchell, Tschetter, Omersa
Robbins, Thompson, Freeman

That perimeter is terrible - in a basketball world where teams play four guards more often than not. I'm cool with zagging when the rest of teams are zigging, but that's extreme.

Ok so in this hypothetical we have eight (8/13) scholarships devoted to guys who play the 4 or 5.

Mashburn
Kalscheur, Mutaf
Williams

That perimeter is terrible - in a basketball world where teams play four guards more often than not. I'm cool with zagging when the rest of teams are zigging, but that's extreme.

Agreed, but if that's our roster, it's almost a certainty that Freeman transfers. That scholly could be used for a PG. Ihnen could also play the 3 and we could play zone if we don't want him chasing guards around. Hell, if we're playing zone, Chet could play the 3 too.

I kind of hope this guy goes to Wisconsin. That way we can make up a bunch of "Will Shitter? or will he not?" signs.

You know, for when he's at the free throw line.

Tschetter is pronounced "Cheddar"...like the cheese. A television sports reporter in Southern Minnesota calls him "The Big Cheese"! :)

Mashburn
Kalscheur, Mutaf
Williams

I completely agree with your point about roster construction in terms of 7/13 or 8/13 being on the roster being bigs and the lack of talent/depth at the 1-3. That said, Pitino cannot afford to recruit like he has only one or even two more scholarships available for the 2021 class. I posted last Fall that it was a major issue to only sign two Fall recruits as we'd definitely have open scholarships in the Spring and have to do more Spring recruiting. This year will be very much the same in regards to having more scholarships open than it suggests right now.

Guards: Carr could certainly leave if he builds on his 2020 season after testing the waters this year.
Wings: Williams and Mutaf are both candidates to leave after the 2021 season. If Williams doesn't improve, he's going to have to transfer down to get any playing time as an upperclassmen. Mutaf is only a candidate to leave because international prospects are always a at a higher risk to leave. He could impress enough to earn a tempting offer to start his pro career overseas or he could not get much playing time and decide college basketball was a mistake.
Bigs: Curry may or may not ever see the floor again. Freeman didn't show anything as a freshman and will be behind Robbins for the forseeable future. Omersa didn't take a step as a junior and now finds himself behind Johnson and Ihnen for minutes in the frontcourt. If Robbins gets his waiver and continues to develop at the rate he has, he could be an early entry candidate.

That's 7 guys who currently project to be on the roster next year who I wouldn't be shocked to see transfer or move on to the professional level.

I completely agree with your point about roster construction in terms of 7/13 or 8/13 being on the roster being bigs and the lack of talent/depth at the 1-3. That said, Pitino cannot afford to recruit like he has only one or even two more scholarships available for the 2021 class. I posted last Fall that it was a major issue to only sign two Fall recruits as we'd definitely have open scholarships in the Spring and have to do more Spring recruiting. This year will be very much the same in regards to having more scholarships open than it suggests right now.

Guards: Carr could certainly leave if he builds on his 2020 season after testing the waters this year.
Wings: Williams and Mutaf are both candidates to leave after the 2021 season. If Williams doesn't improve, he's going to have to transfer down to get any playing time as an upperclassmen. Mutaf is only a candidate to leave because international prospects are always a at a higher risk to leave. He could impress enough to earn a tempting offer to start his pro career overseas or he could not get much playing time and decide college basketball was a mistake.
Bigs: Curry may or may not ever see the floor again. Freeman didn't show anything as a freshman and will be behind Robbins for the forseeable future. Omersa didn't take a step as a junior and now finds himself behind Johnson and Ihnen for minutes in the frontcourt. If Robbins gets his waiver and continues to develop at the rate he has, he could be an early entry candidate.

That's 7 guys who currently project to be on the roster next year who I wouldn't be shocked to see transfer or move on to the professional level.
It's impossible to predict who will transfer without knowing the roster. Once we know who obtains waivers to play and who's on the team THEN we can speculate. Also, saying Mutaf will leave after his freshman year seems weird to me - the kid signed here like 5 days ago. Apparently he's a candidate because... he's an international recruit?

Based on the Burnsville game hi lites Tschetter has a long way to go to be an impact player in the Big Ten. I poo pooed Mitchell for being mechanical on the perimeter in his workout video. Tschetter is very deliberate in most of his movements including shooting.
Yes, there is a burst here and there. Yes, he seems like he'll work hard. Maybe he is the second coming of Garza but it's a ways away.
Having said all that...something more current has a lot of people interested in him.

Another example of why the service rankings pale in comparison to the coaches. Angelo Brizzi is a 3 star but has 10 big 6 offers, including Nova. That is a whole lot more than a ton of 4 stars.

It's impossible to predict who will transfer without knowing the roster. Once we know who obtains waivers to play and who's on the team THEN we can speculate. Also, saying Mutaf will leave after his freshman year seems weird to me - the kid signed here like 5 days ago. Apparently he's a candidate because... he's an international recruit?
I listed 7 guys who I wouldn't be shocked if they left after next season, that's a far cry from saying any one player will leave. Mutaf was considering pro offers in addition to going the college route this Spring. If he ends up playing 5-10 minutes a game would it shock you if he left to go back home? What if he plays 30, averages 15 and gets a significantly better offer from a pro club than he got this Spring? I think he's probably one of the least likely to leave that I mentioned, but the point is that there will be a player or two that will leave. The Gophers have had at least one player leave with eligibility remaining for something like 25 straight years. That's very unlikely to change given the current roster construction. We've had back to back offseasons now where we've been trying to fill 4-5 scholarships with Spring recruits which is not a winning formula. If Pitino doesn't do well enough to keep his job a 3rd Spring in a row like that will be unavoidable, but if he does he needs to secure commitments this Fall to assure that he's not scrambling in the Spring to find enough talent just to hold on one more year.

I listed 7 guys who I wouldn't be shocked if they left after next season, that's a far cry from saying any one player will leave. Mutaf was considering pro offers in addition to going the college route this Spring. If he ends up playing 5-10 minutes a game would it shock you if he left to go back home? What if he plays 30, averages 15 and gets a significantly better offer from a pro club than he got this Spring? I think he's probably one of the least likely to leave that I mentioned, but the point is that there will be a player or two that will leave. The Gophers have had at least one player leave with eligibility remaining for something like 25 straight years. That's very unlikely to change given the current roster construction. We've had back to back offseasons now where we've been trying to fill 4-5 scholarships with Spring recruits which is not a winning formula. If Pitino doesn't do well enough to keep his job a 3rd Spring in a row like that will be unavoidable, but if he does he needs to secure commitments this Fall to assure that he's not scrambling in the Spring to find enough talent just to hold on one more year.
Obviously someone will transfer. But what is the point of speculating how many minutes insert player here will get when we don't even know the finalized roster and who will get waivers? So many things need to happen before we can even begin to guess at transfer volatility.

And again, I just find it weird that you'd say Mutaf could be a candidate to transfer. He signed here 5 DAYS AGO. The kid hasn't played a single minute in a Minnesota uniform and you're already trying to spin some weird narrative about him leaving. Give it a rest.

Top Bottom