All Things Boys MSHSL State Tournament

Really good post.

I wish demographics could be considered more than just simply enrollment. Quite clearly, not all enrollments are equal. We already know this with private schools, but yeah no way can you compare Columbia Heights and Chanhassen (for example).
They do take interest account on FRP and schools can file appeals so in a sense they do.

They do take interest account on FRP and schools can file appeals so in a sense they do.
Yeah. I would argue it’s pretty strange that we only count Free and Reduced as a fraction of a person in the official enrollment count.

Wow Minneapolis North only beat Glencoe by 5 points. Caledonia looking like the favorite

It is right. For some reason I thought he was at La Lumiere.
Tried to find any stats on him, because I was hoping he would choose the Gophers even though he was always a heavy Purdue lean. Couldn't find any, but the team went 14-10 and really got hammered playing some of the better teams in the country.....

Tried to find any stats on him, because I was hoping he would choose the Gophers even though he was always a heavy Purdue lean. Couldn't find any, but the team went 14-10 and really got hammered playing some of the better teams in the country.....
Anyone know if he was injured all season? I couldn't find any stats either

Really good post.

I wish demographics could be considered more than just simply enrollment. Quite clearly, not all enrollments are equal. We already know this with private schools, but yeah no way can you compare Columbia Heights and Chanhassen (for example).
Coon Rapids keeps getting brought up as a point of contention.

Coon Rapids has 1 football team per youth grade and no sophomore team. Blaine has 4 teams per grade and A/B at the 9th and 10th grade level. Coon Rapids fits the 5A mold and has less teams than Spring Lake Park.

Coon Rapids has no youth Lacrosse Program as they had to combine with Anoka/Ramsey.

Baseball is good at the youth level, but that is boosted by the number of kids from Andover in the program. Many of the best players end up at Blaine and Andover HS from those programs.

Basketball is doing well at the Varsity level, but the youth levels have no where near the numbers that Blaine, Andover, Spring Lake Park, etc. Blaine has 4 to 1 basketball teams compared to Coon Rapids youth basketball. Andover doesn't even play in the North Metro in-house league because they have enough teams and choose to compete against themselves.

Sports are all about numbers and always have been. Numbers create competition which creates better athletes and players. School size can't be the only factor in determining who plays who.

Cherry beat Nevis in 1A today and will face Hayfield in a semi-final on Friday. Interesting in 1A that the 3 private schools all ended up on one side of the bracket.

Andover and Owatonna advance to Consolation game.

Coon Rapids keeps getting brought up as a point of contention.

Coon Rapids has 1 football team per youth grade and no sophomore team. Blaine has 4 teams per grade and A/B at the 9th and 10th grade level. Coon Rapids fits the 5A mold and has less teams than Spring Lake Park.

Coon Rapids has no youth Lacrosse Program as they had to combine with Anoka/Ramsey.

Baseball is good at the youth level, but that is boosted by the number of kids from Andover in the program. Many of the best players end up at Blaine and Andover HS from those programs.

Basketball is doing well at the Varsity level, but the youth levels have no where near the numbers that Blaine, Andover, Spring Lake Park, etc. Blaine has 4 to 1 basketball teams compared to Coon Rapids youth basketball. Andover doesn't even play in the North Metro in-house league because they have enough teams and choose to compete against themselves.

Sports are all about numbers and always have been. Numbers create competition which creates better athletes and players. School size can't be the only factor in determining who plays who.
Another great post.

Youth programs and their numbers are the seeds.

Football maybe is the one sport (on boys side, at least) where you don't "need" as much "skill development" and can be more of a raw athlete and find success.

Granted I think more younger parents these days may balk at putting their kids in football before say high school.

But a lot of sports you need to start developing those skills early.

East vs Totino starting. 18 to 9 so far, Troy Bell and Dave Lee announcing

This is the first time I’ve watched Chatman play other than clips and highlights. He is really impressive. Love his court vision. Would be a huge get if Ben can keep him home. Looks like a player that can impact a game even if he’s not scoring.

Troy Bell has been talking up Patrick Bath all game, "it's his coming out party, he needs more offers, etc". Thought he said Harvard and Colorado State are really interested to go along with his offers from Siena and Cal Poly

Troy Bell has been talking up Patrick Bath all game, "it's his coming out party, he needs more offers, etc". Thought he said Harvard and Colorado State are really interested to go along with his offers from Siena and Cal Poly

i am here watching these guys....man he was putting on a show.

Taisen didnt do much for scoring....less then 10 points im guessing but he rebounded well and had lots of assists

Tommy Humpries played well for them as well

Lee is going to the perfect level of play for him at St. Thomas. he should have himself a very solid career there

edit: also, both Ben and Thorson were here watching

i am here watching these guys....man he was putting on a show.

Taisen didnt do much for scoring....less then 10 points im guessing but he rebounded well and had lots of assists

Tommy Humpries played well for them as well

Lee is going to the perfect level of play for him at St. Thomas. he should have himself a very solid career there

edit: also, both Ben and Thorson were here watching
Bath- 27 points and 8 rebounds on 12/18 shooting. Has a 3 point shot as well.

Is BJ Omot really 6'8" announcers kept saying he was

Bath- 27 points and 8 rebounds on 12/18 shooting. Has a 3 point shot as well.

Is BJ Omot really 6'8" announcers kept saying he was
yeah first time watching Omot live....i mean i would have guessed in that 6'7-6'8 range

Bath certainly looked comfortable out to the 3 point line today. nice game to have in front of the U coaches for him

This is the first time I’ve watched Chatman play other than clips and highlights. He is really impressive. Love his court vision. Would be a huge get if Ben can keep him home. Looks like a player that can impact a game even if he’s not scoring.
yes Taisen really didnt need to score today....i seen James tweet out he had 11 rebounds i think with a ton of them in the first half and 9 assist

hes got to be a priority for them

yeah first time watching Omot live....i mean i would have guessed in that 6'7-6'8 range

Bath certainly looked comfortable out to the 3 point line today. nice game to have in front of the U coaches for him
Rated 195 nationally compared to Winter at 168. Wonder if they can offer Bath if they already have offers out to Winter, Kapke, etc..

Rated 195 nationally compared to Winter at 168. Wonder if they can offer Bath if they already have offers out to Winter, Kapke, etc..
I don't see any reason why they both shouldn't get offers. Bath is much more of an inside player than Winter (better rebounder, better around the rim, comfortable shooting but will do most of his damage near the rim). Bath will be more of a traditional 4 with some range. Winter is more of a tall 3. I know we won't get all of them and I'm sure there will be surprises (good and bad) but the following lineup is pretty exciting:

Chatman
Carrington
Winter
Bath
Payne

I couldn't attend but it looks like Omot couldn't hit anything. Was he off or was TG just locked in on D?

De La Salle with a win over a physical Princeton team. Whitlock with a strong game at PG for DLS. The 3A finals will be fun between Totino and DLS.

Top Bottom