All Things Boys MSHSL State Tournament

What a fantastic day of hoops!! All the games were very competitive. Wayzata really had some bad calls go against them but otherwise the games were well contested and exciting.

Fun day of hoops.

Bath will be an interesting player to watch to see what Ben decides to do with him. I love his game. He has proven all year he is there 2nd best player behind Chatman.
And that’s saying a lot with all that talent. He’s worth an offer for sure.

Also enjoyed watching how active tommy humphries wad as well.

Carrington just couldn’t get things going with his shot tonight. But he did a lot of other things well for them.

Annadale proving fundamental basketball isn’t forgotten. Good for those guys.

Dang I know the refs don't want to decide games but Park center absolutely chop that player from Wayzata on the reach-in
I can’t believe there was no foul called. That could have been a game changer.

I can’t believe there was no foul called. That could have been a game changer.
That was a foul on Park Center, but I felt like there were several that went Wayzata’s way before that. But it was a fun aggressive game to watch.

4 years ago Mpls. North was actually playing 1A basketball
8 years ago north was pretty close to closing and maybe had less than 40 9th graders attending

Hiring the basketball coach literally saved the school

That was a foul on Park Center, but I felt like there were several that went Wayzata’s way before that. But it was a fun aggressive game to watch.
Park Center was the better team. Referees had nothing to do with outcome. Seeing Carrington for the first time other than clips I honestly was not impressed. Made me less optimistic for Gophers next season .

Park Center was the better team. Referees had nothing to do with outcome. Seeing Carrington for the first time other than clips I honestly was not impressed. Made me less optimistic for Gophers next season .
Carrington is part of a great team, still you could see that Wayzata was trying to take him away….and did a good job of it. He facilitated nicely, and showed absolute joy in the victory WITH his teammates. Culture is important moving forward and so is talent. He has both.

Chatman showed the same skills…..would love to see them team up. They can both handle, pass, have great range, and are still developing!
These are good guards who could improve (and will need to defensively)
greatly. Future bigs will thrive with these two as teammates.

Carrington is part of a great team, still you could see that Wayzata was trying to take him away….and did a good job of it. He facilitated nicely, and showed absolute joy in the victory WITH his teammates. Culture is important moving forward and so is talent. He has both.
I agree that it's really important that Carrington is a great team guy and will add positive energy to the Gophers next year. He didn't have an impressive game in the finals, and his struggles with finishing at the rim were evident-he doesn't have a lot of explosiveness right now to finish his drives. However, his ability to defend and to hit shots off the catch or off the bounce will give him some playing time next year with the Gophers. The kid can shoot it.

If Carrington is the quality of players BJ recruited they will need to seriously hone their drills.

I disagree completely about Carrington. While he didn’t have a huge scoring game his basketball IQ was on display. His passing and handles were impressive and he looks to be a team first player. His hops were better than I anticipated. Like most young players he needs to add strength but I would say he’s exactly the type of solid 4 year player the Gophers need to build a program.

I disagree completely about Carrington. While he didn’t have a huge scoring game his basketball IQ was on display. His passing and handles were impressive and he looks to be a team first player. His hops were better than I anticipated. Like most young players he needs to add strength but I would say he’s exactly the type of solid 4 year player the Gophers need to build a program.
The focus on many recruits is their ability to score rather than other aspects of the game. Carrington reminds me a lot of Gabe who always played the game the right way even though his scoring wasn't there.

Carrington never forced it as he seemed to realize that his shot wasn't there. Unlike other with scoring first mentality, he focused on what he could do to help his team win the big one.

The focus on many recruits is their ability to score rather than other aspects of the game. Carrington reminds me a lot of Gabe who always played the game the right way even though his scoring wasn't there.

Carrington never forced it as he seemed to realize that his shot wasn't there. Unlike other with scoring first mentality, he focused on what he could do to help his team win the big one.
I would have liked to see Carrington attack the rim more. He seemed to shy away from banging and deferred to others who chose to bang.
I agree he has a good basketball IQ and he recognized other ways to win. I just would have liked to see him bang it up a bit more.

If that’s the only time you’ve see him, relax. He’s outstanding and he did a lot in that game that wasn’t scoring. For those who have seen him play throughout the year, he is a strong, team all-around player who will do very well at the next level.

I would have liked to see Carrington attack the rim more. He seemed to shy away from banging and deferred to others who chose to bang.
I agree he has a good basketball IQ and he recognized other ways to win. I just would have liked to see him bang it up a bit more.
Think he tried a few times and ended up getting contact with no foul calls.

If that’s the only time you’ve see him, relax. He’s outstanding and he did a lot in that game that wasn’t scoring. For those who have seen him play throughout the year, he is a strong, team all-around player who will do very well at the next level.
Good to hear. I realize judging him on seeing one complete game is not necessarily going to be accurate. To be fair I would guess Wayzata allowed other guys open threes and concentrated on not giving Carrington any good looks.

8 years ago north was pretty close to closing and maybe had less than 40 9th graders attending

Hiring the basketball coach literally saved the school
Actually I give more credit to Tyler Johnson then anyone

Correct take on the reffing. Wayzata definitely got hosed at the end, but got away with several hacks, holds, and grabs (particularly on Carrington) throughout the game.

Incorrect take on Carrington. Wayzata's defense was keyed in on him all night. While he definitely missed some open looks, he facilitated, grabbed a few rebounds, and played great defense. Excellent culture guy that will knock down open looks when the defense can't focus so much attention on him (have to worry about Payne and Battle too).

Interesting and competitive season as 3rd place in AA, Caledonia, beat Totino Grace, which beat Park Center. MN Basketball is really good.

He was the Minneapolis North coach Tyler Johonson’s freshman year. So that’s just untrue.
It’s true but no worries. But imo I do believe Tyler had more of an impact on North’s rebuild, in both football and basketball then either of there coaches. That was 8 years ago and there’s no way North should still be playing 2A basketball.

Top Bottom