All Things Boys MSHSL State Tournament

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
1A- Top teams still alive in section play.

2A- Caledonia with King excaped with 2pt victory on Saturday and will Plainview-E-M to go to state. They beat P-E-M by 28 earlier this year and is P-E-M's only loss.

Mpls. North won on Saturday and needs two more wins to make State.

3A- So. St. Paul is undefeated and plays DeLaSalle to go to state. Two top 8 teams.
Columbia Heights and Totino Grace play to go to state ranked 3 and 1 in 3A. Mankato East in Section final.

4A- No Lakevilles or Roch. JM in final. It's Owatonna and Farmington in Section 1 final. Shakopee and EP in final of section 2 (Shokopee girls beat EP to go to State on 1/2 court buzzer shot last week). Park of CG and Signee Payne in Section final against Eastview. East Ridge and CDH in final. Carrington and Park Center in semi-final tomorrow. Mpls. South beat Hopkins and will play Wayzata for section title.

Carrington - Tuesday against Mounds View and then winner of Osseo/Spring Lake Park.
Payne- Thursday at Eastview in Section title game.

Ryan James is a great follow on twitter for information on all the top players in the state. He covers all classes and any kid with college potential.

So St Paul v DeLasalle at SSP should be a good one. Alonzo Dodd from SSP had a triple double against St Thomas the other night. SSP goes about 9 deep and presses the whole floor, all game. They can score in bunches. However, they also turn the ball over quite often as well. They are short, with Dodd at 6'2" being their tallest player. Good guards who can handle pressure and get the ball into the post will beat SSP, but so far no team has been able to do that. I haven't paid attention to DeLasalle, but their history speaks of a team that can take down the Packers. I believe the game is Wednesday at SSP.

So St Paul v DeLasalle at SSP should be a good one. Alonzo Dodd from SSP had a triple double against St Thomas the other night. SSP goes about 9 deep and presses the whole floor, all game. They can score in bunches. However, they also turn the ball over quite often as well. They are short, with Dodd at 6'2" being their tallest player. Good guards who can handle pressure and get the ball into the post will beat SSP, but so far no team has been able to do that. I haven't paid attention to DeLasalle, but their history speaks of a team that can take down the Packers. I believe the game is Wednesday at SSP.
Wow that is pretty short for their tallest. Bloomington Jefferson looked pretty short too, they had Freitag guarding a big down low quite a bit.

in Sect 3-AA - Morris/Chokio-Alberta - led by 6'8" Augustana, SF commit Jackson Loge, faces Redwood Valley in the section finals in Thursday.

In Sect 2-AA, Maple River is the top seed going into Section Semi-finals tonight.

In Sect 2-A, Sleepy Eye-St. Mary's is the top seed with semi-finals tonight.

In Sect 3-A, Central MN Christian is the favorite on paper with Section Finals on Thursday.

South St Paul and Mpls South?

I feel like these are two schools that we haven't heard of as being basketball powers much in the last X years?

Did they get new coaches who brought in transfers? Or what's the deal with these two?

if any one is close to St. Johns it will be a good night of basketball there.
1st Game at 6:00 has Annandale (26-2) VS Osakis (25-3). Annandale should be the clear favorite as Osakis wont be able to match the size and length very well. But Osakis plays disciplined basketball.

2nd Game is Mora (25-3) VS Albany (23-5). Mora has beaten Albany twice this year. 59-56 & 55-53. So this should be another tight one from start to finish. St. Johns offers a fun environment and i would expect all 4 of these teams to travel well.

I feel like these are two schools that we haven't heard of as being basketball powers much in the last X years?

Did they get new coaches who brought in transfers? Or what's the deal with these two?
Good questions and I don’t totally know the answers. All I know is that Mpls South has some very impressive sophomores. Three guards and a 6’8” forward that all were athletic and played fearlessly at Hopkins

I know some years ago there was a "plan" hatched in MPS to push all the top athletes towards South. I seem to recall it had a much larger enrollment than the others and got placed in the same sections as schools like Wayzata. So that was to be some kind of draw, to showcase yourself against the best schools in the state. Something like that.

No idea whatever came of this. Now of course there was the big redistricting change.

South St Paul's coach resigned his post in January, shortly before pleading guilty to federal fraud charges. It remains to be seen if the Packers' recent success will be sustained.

As for South, their coach has been there forever but finally has the horses to make noise in Section 6. I have no idea how they got there. They got rid of Hopkins in their semifinal.

I believe 1970 was the last time So St Paul was in the State Tournament. SSP got a new coach a couple years back. He had been the Columbia Heights coach, but lived in Mendota. He was also a lawyer. Sadly, he resigned mid-season on charges of Medicare fraud. He pleaded guilty, will spend time in jail and is disbarred. He was a good coach. His assistant has taken over and kept the team on task. I hope, for the kids sake, that SSP wins over DeLasalle.

in Sect 3-AA - Morris/Chokio-Alberta - led by 6'8" Augustana, SF commit Jackson Loge, faces Redwood Valley in the section finals in Thursday.

In Sect 2-AA, Maple River is the top seed going into Section Semi-finals tonight.

In Sect 2-A, Sleepy Eye-St. Mary's is the top seed with semi-finals tonight.

In Sect 3-A, Central MN Christian is the favorite on paper with Section Finals on Thursday.
GO RTR!!!!!!

Good questions and I don’t totally know the answers. All I know is that Mpls South has some very impressive sophomores. Three guards and a 6’8” forward that all were athletic and played fearlessly at Hopkins
6'8 forward is Chiang Ring, who we should familiarize ourselves with. Averages 14/10/2 as a Sophomore.

Wonder how many of their varsity squad actually live in South's attendance boundary. Does it matter? No. Just curious.

In Sect 2-A, it will be Sleepy Eye-St. Mary's vs Mt Lake Area-Comfrey in the finals.

Watched the MLAC game vs Madelia on an internet stream - wanted to see DaSean Glover from Madelia, who has scored over 3,000 pts in his HS Career.

MLAC got out to an early lead and led wire-to-wire. They double and triple-teamed Glover all night. Glover still got 30 points, but couldn't do it by himself. MLAC does not have any standout players, but they play as a team and forced a lot of turnovers.

SESM will be the favorite in the finals, but we'll see what happens.

On R-T-R, they are a bit of a throwback team. They don't shoot a lot of 3's and get the majority of their points in the paint or even on (gasp) mid-range shots. They have some size and good court awareness, so that should be a good matchup with Central MN Christian. But, I must say I am disappointed that R-T-R does not have a single Thooft on the team.

In Sect 2-A, it will be Sleepy Eye-St. Mary's vs Mt Lake Area-Comfrey in the finals.

Watched the MLAC game vs Madelia on an internet stream - wanted to see DaSean Glover from Madelia, who has scored over 3,000 pts in his HS Career.

MLAC got out to an early lead and led wire-to-wire. They double and triple-teamed Glover all night. Glover still got 30 points, but couldn't do it by himself. MLAC does not have any standout players, but they play as a team and forced a lot of turnovers.

On R-T-R, they are a bit of a throwback team. They don't shoot a lot of 3's and get the majority of their points in the paint or even on (gasp) mid-range shots. They have some size and good court awareness, so that should be a good matchup with Central MN Christian. But, I must say I am disappointed that R-T-R does not have a single Thooft on the team.
Your thoughts on Glover????? I mean, that's ton of points to score in high school, although probably not the highest level of competition. Have the Gophers ever expressed an interest?

I was able to watch the game as well. Glover is really talented and man can he score. He also got a lot of rebounds and at times got others involved. I think he gassed himself carrying the team and took some defensive plays off. It's hard to compare him to others as the level of competition is not as great.

I believe 1970 was the last time So St Paul was in the State Tournament. SSP got a new coach a couple years back. He had been the Columbia Heights coach, but lived in Mendota. He was also a lawyer. Sadly, he resigned mid-season on charges of Medicare fraud. He pleaded guilty, will spend time in jail and is disbarred. He was a good coach. His assistant has taken over and kept the team on task. I hope, for the kids sake, that SSP wins over DeLasalle.
Actually that is a good background for SEC D1 coaching.

Your thoughts on Glover????? I mean, that's ton of points to score in high school, although probably not the highest level of competition. Have the Gophers ever expressed an interest?

It's hard to evaluate in this sense. He's maybe 6'3" or so, but scores most of his points on the inside. I think he attempted a couple of 3's but I don't remember him making one. Mostly drives to the basket for a layup, short bank shot, or a short turn-around jumper in the lane.

He is not going to be able to score in that fashion against bigger, stronger teams. And I simply do not know if he has an outside shot. seems to handle the ball reasonably well. Also missed a number of FT attempts.

without knowing about his outside shot, I don't see him as a high D1 player. I could see him maybe playing for one of the Dakota schools - something at that level.

Tough night for Park of Cottage Grove. Lose by 28 vs. Eastview.

Meanwhile, Park Center beats Osseo, 89-69 to get to state.

DeLaSalle and SSP in a dogfight. Dodd played great, as did Whitlock. DeLaSalle flopping like 5 Brad Davison's were playing. Refs took the bait. Full house, over 1500 in the gym. Whitlock hits the game winner with 2 seconds left and the Islanders win 69-67. It's a shame these two teams were in the same sectional.

Cretin beats East Ridge by 1.

Andover and Moorhead are the other 4A winners tonight.

Wayzata
Park Center
Eastview
Cretin
Andover
Moorhead

Those 6 have punched their tickets to state in 4A. 2 more to go in 4A tomorrow between Owatonna/Farmington and Shakopee/Eden Prairie.

Top Bottom